Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
92_Deville_on_20's said:
I was just wondering what is the 4.9L in a 92 Deville rated at from the factory?
200HP

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
200hp....

Are you sure. Wow, I would have thought that the car had at least 240 or better. The car feels so strong even with my 190K on the clock.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
92_Deville_on_20's said:
200hp....

Are you sure. Wow, I would have thought that the car had at least 240 or better. The car feels so strong even with my 190K on the clock.
The car feels like a lot more b/c of the amount of torque it has. It's rated at 275 (i think) You can do simple things to get a few more horses if you really desire

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
JJhomer83 said:
The car feels like a lot more b/c of the amount of torque it has. It's rated at 275 (i think) You can do simple things to get a few more horses if you really desire
Yeah the 4.9L does have great low end torque. It seems like the torque comes in instantly.

To add a little more power I may just get a drop in K&N filter, they are worth the money just because they ae re-useable and, and you also gain a couple of horses

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
92_Deville_on_20's said:
Yeah the 4.9L does have great low end torque. It seems like the torque comes in instantly.

To add a little more power I may just get a drop in K&N filter, they are worth the money just because they ae re-useable and, and you also gain a couple of horses
that is true if you are pretty handy you might want to rig up your air box for more flow. Think logically you need more air what do you have to do to get more air with the stuff you got.

·
Registered
Unicycle
11,009 Posts
yeah, they are 200hp....

JJhomer83....what are the "simple" things??

I have a K&N air filter....it was $60, it seems like there is a TAD more power, but hard to say... I know there is a $160 Fast Chip, supposed to add 15-20hp and remove speed limiter......

the intake system on the 4.9 is pretty stright thru, only thing is the plastic tube behind the headlight goes from being really nice and wide, to really thin right before it get's connect to the front of the car (metal wal behind headlight).......I was gonna do somthing to open that all up, but then I was thinking the squeezeed part might be there more a reason.....increase in velocity= decrease in pressure, so maybe it is a way of actually getting air in faster??

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Night Wolf said:
yeah, they are 200hp....

JJhomer83....what are the "simple" things??

I have a K&N air filter....it was $60, it seems like there is a TAD more power, but hard to say... I know there is a $160 Fast Chip, supposed to add 15-20hp and remove speed limiter......

the intake system on the 4.9 is pretty stright thru, only thing is the plastic tube behind the headlight goes from being really nice and wide, to really thin right before it get's connect to the front of the car (metal wal behind headlight).......I was gonna do somthing to open that all up, but then I was thinking the squeezeed part might be there more a reason.....increase in velocity= decrease in pressure, so maybe it is a way of actually getting air in faster??
About the intake system if you remove the plastic/rubber stuff and put a wider tube in you will notice the difference. The K&N works great.
The chip is a great way to go but i haven't buckled down and bought one.
If you clean the Throttle Body REAL well that will make a BIG difference if its dirty. Keeping up with the oil changes I have noticed that my car is happier around 2500 miles instead of 3000. If its legal where you are remove the cat. or put a hollow one on there. Some say that timing mod works for added horsepower but im not sure.

·
Registered
Unicycle
11,009 Posts
WHen you say remove all the plastic stuff....do you mean the black plastic going from the throttle body, to the air filter and stuff? it has the 4.9L sticker on it and all that? I have thought about doing that and installing a CAI, but I really like the look of the engine the way it is (with that black plastic ductwork) and like to keep it factory..... but what rubber are you talking about? maybe I am thinking of something else....

the car now has 85k miles on it, I have read some things about the throttle body, so I am waiting for a nice clear day where it is bright for a while to clean it..... I read about the gasket thing so I'll get a repalcement gasket while am out....

..... I change the oil every 5k miles.... I use 10W-30 Mobil 1, seems to be pretty good....

.... I want to clean the TB soon though, I dunno how bad it is either...when I pull the oil cap and I can see under the valve cover, and it is really, really clean.....

·
Registered
Unicycle
11,009 Posts
about the exhuast, next Spring, I am going to put a nice aftermarket system on...the car stock has 2.5" piping, I MAY go with 2.75" I want to get a nice FlowMaster muffler with dial tips (1 chrome tip on each side) and a highflow cat.... I do not know if it is worth the money/trouble to replace the 2.5" to 2.75, or *maybe* 3" (if it is ok fo rthe enigne) or not.... but that is on the to-do list........ should give me a few extra ponies there....

that and next Spring, I am gonna do a full tune up, get highperformance plugs and wires, so I am hoping the tune=up w/ nice plugs/wires, cleaned TB, air filter and maybe some other mods with the intake system and duct work, the Fast Chip, and what I just talked about witht he exhuast will give me 25hp or so.....that would be nice.....

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Night Wolf said:
about the exhuast, next Spring, I am going to put a nice aftermarket system on...the car stock has 2.5" piping, I MAY go with 2.75" I want to get a nice FlowMaster muffler with dial tips (1 chrome tip on each side) and a highflow cat.... I do not know if it is worth the money/trouble to replace the 2.5" to 2.75, or *maybe* 3" (if it is ok fo rthe enigne) or not.... but that is on the to-do list........ should give me a few extra ponies there....

that and next Spring, I am gonna do a full tune up, get highperformance plugs and wires, so I am hoping the tune=up w/ nice plugs/wires, cleaned TB, air filter and maybe some other mods with the intake system and duct work, the Fast Chip, and what I just talked about witht he exhuast will give me 25hp or so.....that would be nice.....
Well with what you have mentioned with the "tune up" you want to do you will notice a big difference in your perfomance. About the air intake i;ll go backwards. coming off of the throttle body it goes to tubing from the tubing it goes to the metal hole and the air is fed in there. make it bigger if you know what i mean.
About you changing your oil every 5k miles :banghead: why do you wait so long???

·
Registered
Unicycle
11,009 Posts
I still don't understand what your saying....

here is a picture of my engine:

Is it all the black plastic duct work for the air there?

Or do you mean within the TB or something?

IMO 5k miles isn't a long interval, the whole 3k thing is overrated.... back in the day when oil wasn't as clean as it is today and engines weren't as refined and stuff, yeah, but on newer engines, with newer oil, let alone synthetic, then IMO it is ok..... 3k seems to come around too often, I know alot of people that go with 5k even 8-10k each oil change using Mobil 1 and they have no problems..... when I changed my oil a couple of weeks ago...the oil was dark (normal) but it was not sludgy, nothing in it or anything, still flowed very, very smooth so I do not see a problem with it....

it is dark right now, but I am gonna get some light and take off the plastic ductwork going to the TB to try and understand what your saying.....

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Night Wolf said:
I still don't understand what your saying....

here is a picture of my engine:

QUOTE]

The part that i am talking about is not in the picture you provided. it would be in the right hand corner. take it this way where the air goes in first know what i mean??? if not ill have to try another angle (sorry bad with words)

·
Registered
Unicycle
11,009 Posts
ok, I think I know what you mean, and if it is, then it is the same thing i had a question about one other time..... I DO have a picture of that, but it is on my 2nd drive, and for some reason the computer is not finding it....hope all the info on it is ok, as I have alot of stuff i need on there....

.... I went out and took off the upper plastic duct work, so I was able to see right into the TB.... I noticed the gasket between the TB and the plastic thing that goes ontp of it was cracked.... I do not know if this is bad, or how is should be (not a clean break) The picture is #416, I will include a few of what I have just did...one shows inside the throttle body, and some others, then one is looking down into the engine through the oil fill cap, lighting was pretty bad (dark out) so all the pics aren't the best...

...I was gonna go to the auto store tomrrow and get a new gasket, then get a damp cloth and clean both seats of the gasket, as they are dirty and stuff.....

ok, I am gonna try to get my other HDD working, then I'll get the pics.....

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Night Wolf said:
ok, I think I know what you mean, and if it is, then it is the same thing i had a question about one other time..... I DO have a picture of that, but it is on my 2nd drive, and for some reason the computer is not finding it....hope all the info on it is ok, as I have alot of stuff i need on there....

.... I went out and took off the upper plastic duct work, so I was able to see right into the TB.... I noticed the gasket between the TB and the plastic thing that goes ontp of it was cracked.... I do not know if this is bad, or how is should be (not a clean break) The picture is #416, I will include a few of what I have just did...one shows inside the throttle body, and some others, then one is looking down into the engine through the oil fill cap, lighting was pretty bad (dark out) so all the pics aren't the best...

...I was gonna go to the auto store tomrrow and get a new gasket, then get a damp cloth and clean both seats of the gasket, as they are dirty and stuff.....

ok, I am gonna try to get my other HDD working, then I'll get the pics.....

About the gasket being cracked that shouldn't be too much of a problem i would get it replaced but its not a near death thing.
What does your TB look like. is it clean/dirty is there a lot of carbon build up?

·
Registered
Unicycle
11,009 Posts
#414 is the TB w/ gasket on it

#416 is broken gasket

#417 is K&N drop in air filter

#420 is looking into the TB

#422 is another shot of the TB

#423 is yet another pic of the TB

#424 is looking into the valve cover via the oil fill cap.... you can see the rocker arms, they look pretty clean to me.....

I want to reaplce that gasket tomorrow, I am probally gonna wait to clean the TB, probally next Spring with the million other things I want to do to the car (too rainy/cold and dark to do anything now) but from these pics, does it look good?

·
Registered
Unicycle
11,009 Posts
Now, is this what you are talking about?

When I was looking at the intake system, this is the main restriction...... I would like to find a way to widen it, or even have a 2nd tube coming off and going somewhere else to get more air into the engine..... but I don't know if it is small at the end for a reason.... if it squeezes together, then increase in velocity= decrease in pressure, so maybe it is there for a purpose? Would you recomend just doing something with the plastic, or actually hacking away at the metal behind the headlight to make the whole area for air to come in bigger? I do not want to do anything that can't be changed back being that the car is rare.....

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Night Wolf said:
Now, is this what you are talking about? YES

When I was looking at the intake system, this is the main restriction...... I would like to find a way to widen it, or even have a 2nd tube coming off and going somewhere else to get more air into the engine..... but I don't know if it is small at the end for a reason.... if it squeezes together, then increase in velocity= decrease in pressure, so maybe it is there for a purpose? Would you recomend just doing something with the plastic, or actually hacking away at the metal behind the headlight to make the whole area for air to come in bigger? I do not want to do anything that can't be changed back being that the car is rare.....
I would NOT touch the metal no mater what. remove anything that is restricking it. More air is better any way possible. Adding a second tube is fine. You really can't screw it up unless you brake something.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
another thing you could do is get some header wrap and wrap the cross-over pipe, the one the goes from the front over the trany(and RIGHT under the air box). cooler air means more power.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts