Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What kind of a gain would I get from a Maggie if I have already done heads and cam? I'm at 427 RWHP and 375 RTQ! I have been working with my local shop on a twin turbo set up, but they just don't seem interested any longer. They have been putting me off for the last month. So I thought I would just do the Maggie. I want to get 550 Rwhp and 500 RTQ. Would that happen?

·
Registered
2004 CTSV
1,133 Posts
Does anyone know if there is a problem with pistons after 600 hp?

I will check back on some reading that I did to confirm or deny but I thought I saw something about this problem.

Tony

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't know what the deal is with my rear but it is the 2nd one I have had and it looks like it has a leak so I've been trying to kill it and nothing happens not even a little whine. So if I do this is there anything that can be done aftermarket on the rear?

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
I wouldn't bother unless you build the bottom end. Hyper pistons are iffy after 600 miles. I would get forged pistons, and steel rods and crank. After that I would put the motor in a car with a rear end that can at least handle 400 ft lbs.

·
Registered
2005 Stealth Gray CTS-V, 2009 Black CTS-V
3,570 Posts
TXSilverV said:
What kind of a gain would I get from a Maggie if I have already done heads and cam? I'm at 427 RWHP and 375 RTQ! I have been working with my local shop on a twin turbo set up, but they just don't seem interested any longer. They have been putting me off for the last month. So I thought I would just do the Maggie. I want to get 550 Rwhp and 500 RTQ. Would that happen?
I don't see a maggie with a 2.8" pulley generating 125 lb feet of torque. If you went to a 2.6" pulley (which will generate like 8-10 lbs of boost), you might get there though. A 2.6" pulley would probably require the following mods: 1) new plugs, 2) a new belt and 3) a new tune. Further, you will probably have to trim the housing to get the 2.6" pulley on (this isn't that big a deal though) & it very well might slip a little at high RPM (6,000-6,500) and you could lose like 1/2 lb of boost (no big deal again, but it's there to consider).

Good luck.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Parker your correct! I should just do the bottle and be done with it. I have put enough money in this thing already. Did a DVD player with headrest Monitors last night.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
TXSilverV said:
Parker your correct! I should just do the bottle and be done with it. I have put enough money in this thing already. Did a DVD player with headrest Monitors last night.
And every time you need it its empty. Aside from the fact that its basically a bomb in the trunk! Stick with a huffer, its always there. Leave the bottle for the dentist.

·
Premium Member
'05 CTS-V, '12 CTS-V Manny Vagon
6,076 Posts
Is your current H/C configured for low compression that forced induction will like?

-Chris

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Not sure! I will check with the local garage. Parker may know!

·
Premium Member
'05 CTS-V, '12 CTS-V Manny Vagon
6,076 Posts
CTSVONFIRE said:
I think the bottom end of our motor is supposed to be good to 1000hp if i'm not mistaken.

Holy shattered pistons Batman!

I was under the impression (at least form reading the Z06 boards) that 600 - 650 was uper limits of 'safe' modding (and by safe, I mean not really :D ) on a stock bottom end/pistons. BUT I have no experience with this type of thing, so consider my advice as gospel of the Internet (IT MUST BE TRUE, I read it on the Internet!)

-Chris

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
CTSVONFIRE said:
I think the bottom end of our motor is supposed to be good to 1000hp if i'm not mistaken.
Wow. That would be counter to what many others have expressed on this board. If memory serves, such reasonably safe "maximums" were a 50% increase in HP (or, in this case, 600HP).

Not that I doubt your veracity, but please state why you believe that.

·
Registered
2004 CTSV
1,133 Posts
I picked up a book on building High Performance Chevy LS/LS6 V8's by Will Handzel. He has done some extensive work with GM and some shops on the GenIII engines.

He states that the eutectic aluminum pistons are only good for "just over 500 hp". (page 31)

I can't find the reference but I seem to recall that the block is good for over 1000 hp. The top of the engine can't handle over 750. If I find the exact words, I'll enter them in this thread.

Tony

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
That would be great.

The comment "just over 500" has me a little concerned... :eek:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts