Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was thinking of getting a catera, but now iam going more to an ETC or STS, more likely the STS. I wanted a Cat beucase i could have fun on the back roads and twisties, so i was wondering, how are the STSs in the corners?

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
WAY BETTER THAN A CATERA!

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well the thing about that is, iam looking at under 10k, cant go higher. A CTS would be great, but i cant pay for a 35k car. Man, no one likes the cats huh? lol

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
What's to like?

·
Registered
125 Posts
I accelerate thru the curves with the STS and watch the car behind me disappear from view every time......you can still get an older STS for around 10K..... Catera's never got a second glance from me ....are they really a Caddy? Maybe Caddy designers were having an identity crisis when they conceived the Catera. :burn:

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
Get the STS. If it still has the CVRSS, you will be thoroughly impressed.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
If you're looking solely for cornering performance, there's no question the Catera will out-corner a Seville or Eldorado. V6 engine, rear wheel drive, much lighter, etc. The Seville/Eldo is V8/front wheel drive, much heavier, etc. There would be no comparison -- on cornering performance alone.

Having said that, the Seville/Eldorado far out-powers a Catera, and I think a Northstar-equipped car would shade the Catera in a race on a twisty two-lane. I suspect you'd be looking for a blend of cornering performance and power. Don't get the wrong impression -- you can still have lots of fun in a Seville/Eldo on a 2-lane road. You'll out-power most everything trying to keep up with you (save for the Camaros, etc.) and that might make up for the disadvantage they have in the handling department.

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
I would tend to agree with Jason. The RWD Catera will probably outhandle the FWD ETC and STS. Both of those cars are a bit of a handful on the back roads. Face it, that's NOT what they were designed for. I've always thought the Catera got much less respect than it deserved. Many reviews were very positive but most Cadillac fans never gave it a chance. It was the first true "break-out" car that Cadillac has sold. It managed a 40% customer base that didn't come from within Cadillac, so that was a hell of a statement about the car by itself.
Getting back to the question, I think the car has a lot of potential. The "sport" model introduced in '00 or '01 (I'm not sure which) was a great car except it could use some more power. 200HP was a little on the weak side for sure but other than that, the car was a blast to drive. If you're looking for something to blast the back roads in, a Cadillac shouldn't be on your list anyway but, the Catera is probably the best shot you got at it. There are some performance mods that can be done and do help out quite a bit.
Check out this link:
http://www.familycar.com/RoadTests/CadillacCatera/Index.htm

This is the car I personally LOVED. The color and everything are perfect. Change the exhaust, intake, do a little tranny work to liven things up and you might be getting close to the corner-carver you're looking for.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Great post Kevin. Personally, I'm neutral on the Catera. I think the stying is really nice (conservative, and sporty at the same time) and I think the car is a great overall package. But you're right -- 200 horses under the hood is a bit short. I also don't think that V6 engine has much of a reputation with people that have to work on it. Then again, the Northstar might not either. ;)

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
now i dont know!! guess ill have to take some test drives, i really do like both of them so i really dont know.

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
I think it really depends on what you're looking for. If you like a small, fun to drive car, then the Catera is a good candidate. If you want a tire burner that can also have some fun on the back roads, like I said, you shouldn't be looking at a Cadillac at all.
The Catera is a fun all-around package that just happens to be a Cadillac.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Did you drive the same car I did? I drove a Catera when they first came out and was NOT impressed! NO power, Not particularly good handling, Cramped interior and kind of a bland looking little car that reminded me of a Chevy Lumina with nice trim. Fun to drive?......Try BORING!

I'd take the STS! And by the way Katshot......I've put them through their paces in the twisties and foud that they're a LOT of fun to run hard on the back roads.

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
To each his own KC. I'm sure you think your Seville would smoke a Z3 on the twisties too. The '01 Catera w/Sport package I drove was a real nice car, and should be more than able to keep up with your Seville in the twisties.
I said it was down on power but the handling is more than enough to make up for that. Plus, like I said, there are MANY ways to inject some extra power into the Catera without breaking the bank.

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
KC probably drove a 97-99 catera, which were lame.

The 01 and 02 had some upgrades that the others didnt have.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts