Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Banned
1996 Fleetwood Brougham
7,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You've just been promoted to the division head for the Cadillac brand. GM is willing to give you free reign and an open pocket book to improve Cadillac. But you need to submit a proposal for the board to approve. So what changes would you make and why?

Guidelines:
1. We are the board. You need to sell ALL of us.
2. Posting 'I'd make the Cadillac Sixteen' is not a business plan. How would that improve the whole brand?
3. Bashing/praising the past isn't a business plan. How are you going to keep Acura/Audi/BMW/Infiniti/Lexus/Lincoln/Mercedes and yes, the upcoming resurgent Chrysler, from taking your customers away in the future?

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Performance should be the focus of the new luxury cars. Performance as in braking, striaght line acceleation, handling while still being able to maintain the balance (comfort/road manner vs performance). That's something cadillac is now realizing. Fact is these m-series, type-s, and amg sell quickly even with premium price. Which cadillac is lacking severly.

Also cadillac needs to get into younger generation market by making a compact sedan/coupe that will perform and look good to comepete in the hottest segment in the market.

·
Registered
'05 Expedition
7,651 Posts
I'm already impressed with the direction Cadillac has taken in the last five years. I wouldn't change a thing. You're dealing with a dinosaur, and they move slowly, so to expect overnight changes in performance or quality control is not realistic. They have to take it one year at a time and try to make a little improvement in every area each year.

The changes and money should go to advertising, in which they've already made tremendous improvements. Cadillac needs to take the lead in making ownership of American cars "cool". Led Zeppelin goes a lot farther than people realize.

Perception becomes reality. If Cadillac continues to be perceived as an "old man's car" that's all they'll get. To grow sales, you have to hold on to that base, while at the same time appealing to the younger crowd. The Escalade and CTS fill that need. The new Seville will get the under-50 crowd interested again.

Here's a nice little article about the Caddy dealership I visited last week:

http://www.gomemphis.com/mca/business/article/0,1426,MCA_440_2120354,00.html

·
Registered
Unicycle
11,009 Posts
Yes, I think that in the past few years, Cadillac is making a huige comeback, so as it is, I woudln't change a thing.

Some things, in the newly redeisgned crest and wreath and the word "DEVILLE" on the cars went from the fancy script to the bold normal letters also show that they are trying to modernize and all that.

Perhaps the biggest thing they need to do is quality control, they need to make their things last.....latly that seems to be working.

But ZI agree with the whole old mans car...... MB and Beamer both make cars cheap, and way more expensive then even the most expensive Cadillac, yet all differnt age groups drive them.....from ids that want to pretend like they have it all to big bussienuss men that want to say, yeah, I made it in my life....

..... I notice though the whole Cadillac name is being brought back...... what used to be, oh you have a Cadillac, big deal, now, when people ask me what kind of car I have (I am 16) I say a Cadillac Coupe DeVille, I get answers like, you have a Caddy? What the? How did you afford that? and many others..... I like it alot :)

Just for kicks, earlier I went to ebay, and looked up '93 DeVilles, the going price is around $3-$4k for a mint car..... then I looked up '93 BMW's.....mostly the 3-series, and they were going for $7k-$9k mint (I like the outside styling) used '93 MB, the lower lines were going for the same price of the Beamers, I don't care for MB styling of that time (outside) but the inside looked really nice....

......but it is just funny that a car costing less then another 10 years ago is selling for twice the amount now.

·
Registered
Unicycle
11,009 Posts
Oh, and one other thing, with all the new Caddys getting away from their classic styling and such, the SeVille, and even DeVille (the DEVILLE PEOPLE) and that the Eldo is gone....

....I would bring back the Fleetwood, but it would be a seperate car....it would be huge.....19-20feet long, just like the RWD Borugham, it would have classic styling, kinda similar to the '93-'96 FW (look at the back/trunk lid of a '93-'96 FW, then look at the back of a 70's Fleetwood....look similar?) it would have fins (not huge fins, but like the last gen. DeVille) and just very classic stlying, it woudl be full body on frame, huige V8.....LS6? :D and RWD......

that would be really nice, it would be the car for someone that wants a classic Caddy style.

Everyone knows who Airstream is, right? they pretty much started the whole RV thing in the 50's......well, they had the most distinictive styling, they were all roundish, stainless steel, never rust..... they were the best (I always wnated one, and completly update the inside, it would last forever) Anyway, in the early 90's they made a Classic line, I swear, the motor homes with the turbo diesels looked exactly like the old ones on the outside, but inside it was all new, have a new TD, all that, that is what Cadillac needs to do.

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
7,658 Posts
Basically, I would do this.....

I would make the cars better quality....... And I would make sure that they run/look LIKE NEW at 100k with decent maintenance....... And be able to run to 250k with just fluid/filter changes and the other normal maintenance items........

They would have to have all the latest gadgets, including a full active suspension (like that magnetic ride), tiptronic transmission, RWD or AWD, etc.....

They must be able to ride like a cadillac on the highway, and be like a sports car on the twisties.....

Then there would have to be the special model... The one that makes everyones head turn when they see it..... it must be distinctive beyond a shadow of a doubt, and when someone sees it they say....... OOOOH, look at that cadillac!!!

And like I said earlier, these cars must hold up for a long time....... Things like the struts and other things should last a long time.......

The interiors must stay looking nice, and the leather has to be strong enough to stay plush and not crack.......

·
Registered
ATS AWD Luxury Turbo
150 Posts
HotRodSaint said:
You've just been promoted to the division head for the Cadillac brand. GM is willing to give you free reign and an open pocket book to improve Cadillac. But you need to submit a proposal for the board to approve. So what changes would you make and why?

Guidelines:
1. We are the board. You need to sell ALL of us.
2. Posting 'I'd make the Cadillac Sixteen' is not a business plan. How would that improve the whole brand?
3. Bashing/praising the past isn't a business plan. How are you going to keep Acura/Audi/BMW/Infiniti/Lexus/Lincoln/Mercedes and yes, the upcoming resurgent Chrysler, from taking your customers away in the future?
I'd yank the franchise from dealers equiping cars with super padded tops, gold badges, stainless stick-ons and Vogue tires. If owners want those things, they are available in the aftermaket, but they shouldn't be in the showroom. I'm really serious...right or wrong, cars equiped that way are a major turn-off for the customers Caddy now wants to acquire. That's why some folks won't be caught dead in a Caddy dealership. Some people may like the old look, but Caddy will die with them if they don't develop new customers. Hope I didn't offend anyone. :eek:

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
Funny you should mention this. I'm currently working up an advertizing plan for Cadillac. I've tried several times to get through to them and been blown off. Recently, I guess I finally hit the right chord and they have started a file for me and have asked me to contact someone up the tree about my ideas.

Basically, as I've said many times here, I believe Cadillac has to get back to basics and stop worrying about doing the "we have that too" game, or the "yeah but we have this neat new gadget in our cars" game. The top of the line luxury cars got where they are through rock solid engineering, and product development, not gimmicks.
People always respected Cadillac back when it stood out from the crowd, but started loosing respect (and interest) when they started looking and feeling like too many other cars. I feel this mainly started in 1985 with the advent of the FWD "C" car. The GM cookie cutter cars;
1. Cadillac Deville
2. Buick Park Ave.
3. Olds 98

Hell, Lincoln even made a whole advertizing blitz capitolizing on this issue, correctly pointing out that you couldn't tell those three cars apart.

As soon as Cadillac goes back to what made them great, they will retain their rightful place at the top of the automotive world.

1. Distinctive styling
2. Top quality materials
3. Seperate product development from the rest of GM
4. Better customer service for ALL Cadillac customers, not just NEW car customers.
5. Closer watch on the executive staffing including product team leaders.
6. Total emphasis on QUALITY.

·
Watching the Watchers
5,959 Posts
catbert said:
I'd yank the franchise from dealers equiping cars with super padded tops, gold badges, stainless stick-ons and Vogue tires. If owners want those things, they are available in the aftermaket, but they shouldn't be in the showroom. I'm really serious...right or wrong, cars equiped that way are a major turn-off for the customers Caddy now wants to acquire. That's why some folks won't be caught dead in a Caddy dealership. Some people may like the old look, but Caddy will die with them if they don't develop new customers. Hope I didn't offend anyone. :eek:
I could not possibly agree more to this statement

·
Watching the Watchers
5,959 Posts
Katshot said:
Funny you should mention this. I'm currently working up an advertizing plan for Cadillac. I've tried several times to get through to them and been blown off. Recently, I guess I finally hit the right chord and they have started a file for me and have asked me to contact someone up the tree about my ideas.
QUALITY.

The list of people that have a file on you must be staggering :)

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
Brett said:
I could not possibly agree more to this statement
To be honest, I didn't even address this point because it can't happen. Cadillac (and other OEMs) have much less control over the dealers than people think.
Hell, look what happened with Ford and the "Blue Oval" plan. :rolleyes:

·
Watching the Watchers
5,959 Posts
Katshot said:
To be honest, I didn't even address this point because it can't happen. Cadillac (and other OEMs) have much less control over the dealers than people think.
Hell, look what happened with Ford and the "Blue Oval" plan. :rolleyes:
Yeah, theres no way to take away franchises because of the aftermarket equipment said franchisee chooses to install. But it would be nice if the dealers would voluntarily stop installing these types of things. That being said, they dont have a lot of motivation to say no to someone who wants to pay for it.

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
There's also the point that the dealer really does need to be creative when it comes to generating income. They don't make all that much on the actual sale of the car. The majority of their income is from financing, accesories, warranties, service, and body repairs.

·
Registered
just one
1,386 Posts
Katshot said:
As soon as Cadillac goes back to what made them great, they will retain their rightful place at the top of the automotive world.

1. Distinctive styling
2. Top quality materials
3. Seperate product development from the rest of GM
4. Better customer service for ALL Cadillac customers, not just NEW car customers.
5. Closer watch on the executive staffing including product team leaders.
6. Total emphasis on QUALITY.
Someone has it right...

·
Registered
just one
1,386 Posts
Cadillacs Winning Strategy:
It is time for Cadillac to take a step back and do what has always made them successful. Why do people say, It is the Cadillac of (category). They say this because of the ideals that Cadillac was once known for despite, having lost its way in the 80’s and 90’s.

Attributes to Leverage:
1. The Cadillac Symbol and Brand Name. The Brand name and symbol are the best in the World along with Mercedes.
2. Cadillac is an American car. Make sure everyone knows it is AMERICAN who might be thinking about getting one.
3. Luxury. Keep the chrome bumpers and trim! The plastic might cost less but it is all about quality! While everyone else is moving to plastic, stand-firm and put the real thing on the most luxurious cars money can buy. We want wood grain and leather too!
4. Quality. Cadillac and Quality should be synonymous. These cars should drive 100,000 problem free miles and more. Why do people love Toyotas? Because their bodies rust out before the engine and parts do. The quality control needs to be incredibly thorough.
5. Keep the style, design, and engineering on the cutting edge, but never over-engineer to the point where the cutting edge technology is dysfunctional, the car is extremely expensive to fix, and normal mechanics can’t work on them. The design problems must be avoided at all costs. Keep it Simple Stupid is sometimes a good motto.

Execution:
1. Advertising. Cadillac needs a huge, signature advertising Campaign. Retro is very in. They need to show that whether you’re old or young, Cadillac is IT. I would pour millions into Cadillac and public exposure. I.E – Does anyone remember Tom Brady’s Super Bowl MVP present?? (ESCALADE). Take the XLR and run a HUGE ad campaign.
2. Dedicate the brand to designing an award-winning model. The car will create a stir by itself such as the Lincoln LS, the Nissan 350Z, The Volvo R60, etc. Free magazine ads and free PR come along with that. Nothing is better advertising than good PR. Bad PR on the other hand…is the worst.
3. Execute Quality. Exemplify Quality. Be Cadillac Quality.
4. Customer Service. Make sure all Cadillac dealers give top priority to their customers.
Compete. Go right at the competition and exploit their weaknesses.

·
Watching the Watchers
5,959 Posts
I'm not sure how applicable this really is to Cadillac, but:

I was at a BMW dealer Saturday and test drove an X5 and a 745i. One thing that stood out was that this was an authorized Dinan dealer. So they had all kinds of go-fast goodies for their cars. They would do all the install and your warranty was not effected at all. I drove a Dinan S2 X5(exhaust,CAI,shift program,engine program, not sure what else) and it was a blast, great V8 exhaust sound, superb handling, totally wowed me.

Fist an aftermarket would have to develop for Cadillac and then a Reputable supplier would have to come about, but in the future it would be really cool to have these kind of options at your local Caddy dealer.

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
That would be good........

I think in order for cadillac to appeal to everyone, they will have to make a model for every budget (relatively speaking).........

·
Premium Member
9,575 Posts
As you know - a lot of young kids want Cadillacs these days. Lots of 'wanna-be" gangsters want them. Why? Because they used-to be driven by real gangsters.. I think if Cadillac retained (or got back) some of the classic styling (chrome, for example) properties, it would go-over very well with a youthful market.

While having some of this "gangster" look, it can also look high-tech at the same time. What would a 60's or 70's Cadillac look like if it were made today?

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
Rex?? Can you hook us up??

1 - 20 of 61 Posts