Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My current gas saver/winter car is a 1984 Ford LTD 3.8L 3 spd which weighs just over 3000 pounds. Now this engine is famous for being hugely underpowered/inefficient for its size. Stock it is supposed to have 110 horses, the way it is right now its probably more like 90. It seems to get decent gas mileage (Stock its 19/22). Its probably not much different than that now. What I'm trying to justify here is buying a late 80's FWB. I know its a terrible winter car, but I could see retiring the '70 to just Summer since its such a hog, and making a 80s FWB my daily driver all year except summer. I don't see this car being any worse than my LTD in the winter, the LTD is also RWD. Mostly I just wan to convert my "fleet" to all Caddy. I want a new toy!!:p Can someone justify this for me? Perhaps the FWB wouldnt have mileage much worse than my LTD? I mean, who wants to drive this:
when you can drive this:

·
Registered
1987 Fleetwood Brougham
239 Posts
The FWB gets 17/21 I think per fueleconomy.gov. I can't really say anything bad about my FWB. It's my daily driver and it does me good.

·
Registered
94 Fleetwood Brougham
7,534 Posts
eldorado99 said:
... my LTD? I mean, who wants to drive this...:
:
\

My mom got to drive a new cop car spec LTD like this. She loved it! She liked being able to burn the tires off when she punched it. Nothing like a lead footed mother!

Drop in a GT Mustang 5.0L V8 and get high 20's highway and have 225 hp...

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thing is, I can get a good 5.0L for about the same as a 80's brougham :) Thank the lord for people's modern perception of big ol' gas guzzlers.

·
Registered
'80 Fleetwood Coupe, 1994 and 1995 Mercedes 140 Coupe
2,096 Posts
I have a few dumbass neighbors who ride around in SUV's. When you get to talking with them they always ask why I drive an old gas guzzler!!!
Someone said: Never underestimate the stupidity of the general public.

·
Registered
'93 Fleetwood Brougham...Dad's
4,382 Posts
The Ape Man said:
I have a few dumbass neighbors who ride around in SUV's. When you get to talking with them they always ask why I drive an old gas guzzler!!!
Someone said: Never underestimate the stupidity of the general public.
Wow, what morons. My mother drives a Suburban, but still recognizes the Roadmaster and Fleetwood in the driveway as "big cars that get better mileage than my truck".

·
Registered
94 Fleetwood Brougham
7,534 Posts
Wow. And I drive a Sururban AND a Fleetwood!! And both get 30K/yr miles on them! (yes, owch! Donations accepted at ....)

And to think, we are seriously thinkning of selling the 5.7L Vortec Burb for a 7.4L Vortec Burb.... But it doesn't do too badly on mileage. My friend owns it and is getting 15-16 highway and 12-14 city. That is what I get with a 350. Not bad.

·
Banned
1995 ETC, 75 Deville, Cad500 powered 73 Apollo, 94 Mark VIII
7,971 Posts
You know.... a 500 would fit into that Fox LTD.... That'd be one of the most redonkulous sleepers ever.

·
Registered
94 Fleetwood Brougham
7,534 Posts
I like how you think....

Sorta like that picture of a 65 Chevy with a water trailer behind it and funky windshield wipers and sprayers. It was hiding the fact that the trailer was for fuel and the trunk hid an 500 CID BBChevy....

davesdeville said:
You know.... a 500 would fit into that Fox LTD.... That'd be one of the most redonkulous sleepers ever.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My LTD isn't even a fox LTD, its just a boring old passenger car with regular chassis :( If it was a fox chassis I might consider keeping it for a go-kart type car :p.

·
Registered
01 STS, 92 Roadmaster, 01 SLS-sold, 88 Brougham-crushed
1,392 Posts
what are the extra lights in the bumper for, ive never seen those on any other brougham

·
Registered
94 Fleetwood Brougham
7,534 Posts
I am 90% sure that those LTD's are fox chassis. Check into it on the Ford forums. Fox Chassis was on most cars 79-up.

Look up some common parts on them, like sway bar link kits or something and see what you come up with.

eldorado99 said:
My LTD isn't even a fox LTD, its just a boring old passenger car with regular chassis :( If it was a fox chassis I might consider keeping it for a go-kart type car :p.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You could be right, however I was under the impression that the fox chassis was a slightly modified version for the police, and anyone who wanted to pay the big bucks for an LX version. I could easily be wrong though, I tend not to learn a lot about that car because I don't really like it. :shhh:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts