Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When we left on our trip a week ago - it was -20c (about -8F). The 94 DeVille heater was fine while warming up - but after some higway speeds, it was not keeping us warm.

I pulled over and covered the rad (behind the grill) with a cardboard, and it improved the interior heating situation.

Once we were a bit further south, and the temp was at +32F - the cardboard was not needed and the heater put out fine.

Also - where is the outside thermometer sensor located at? I noticed that with the cardboard in place (ahead of the rad fans, and full side to side rad coverage) the outside temp was reading 4-7 degrees higher than without the cardboard in place.

Thanks in advance

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,794 Posts
The sensor is infront of the radiator, actually the condensor, right under the latch, behind the grill in the center.

You should get plenty of heat at -8F. Maybe the stat is acting up.

·
Registered
94 Fleetwood Brougham
7,534 Posts
In 20 or so weather in my 91 SDV, I measured 160F down at the exit of the heater vent on the floor with a candy thermometer. I still felt it was cool. This was after getting 30 degree temps out of it and flushing the heater core.

See my thread in the tech forum on it.

·
Registered
2003 STS w/BoseNav, 1993 Deville, 1985 Deville
1,089 Posts
My 93 deville puts out *plenty* of heat even down to -20*F.

Check:

Engine thermostat
Coolant level

·
Registered
1988 SDV; 1997 SDV D'Elegance
1,401 Posts
Both the '88 SDV and the 97 SDV blow as hot as I can take it - never any issues with that.

·
2007 DTS
2007 DTS, 1991 Eldorado(retired), 1999 Deville (retired)
371 Posts
My 91 Eldo in -5F will cook me out in about 15 minutes of driving!

·
Registered
93 SedanDeville
78 Posts
Mine was blowing rather cool and i replaced the thermostat and the wife says it is doing good now. Ill be driving it the next few days and hopefully that was the fix if not ill be completely flushing the system and trying to open that heater core up.

·
Registered
94 Fleetwood Brougham
7,534 Posts
As I learned with mine (sold my 91 SDV), I was flushing my core in 33 degree weather, as it got dark and temps started to fall, the garden hose started to freeze up on me quick. So unless you can get warm water from the water heater (one of those 2 into 1 washer hoses connected to the garden hose is good) you could have problems trying to flush in cold temps.

That core needs to be flushed 1x/yr in my book, I am guessing the aluminum just doesn't agree with the heater core very well.

In my 94 FWB I was able to drain the core and dump in CLR and let it soak and then flush. Did a great job, from start to finish was 15 min, including 10 min soak time!

·
Registered
35 Posts
ok i kind of have heater problems also, is there anyway you can turn off the automatic feature where it blows hot air into the vents over 78, as uppose to the defrost on top by the windshield ? and why do i feel that it blows hotter on top then it actually does on the feet? oh and last is how come i really never feel it on the rear vents in the middle console ? i mean i can feel a slight bit of air coming out , but nothing where you can actually feel unless you placed your hand over the vent..

p.s. what suggestions do you guys recomend other then draining the system and also change the thermostat to get better heat ?

·
Registered
2004 Base Deville; 1998 D'Elegance
20 Posts
My 98 cooks me. Although I don't really feel it coming from the vents or floor unless it's on high, it's pretty hot. Don't use the heater here in Phoenix, but referencing when I lived in Cleveland.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts