Cadillac Owners Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2018 XT5 Premium Luxury
77 Posts
Thanks James! Got it done today thanks to you. The most stubborn clips for me were the two at the very front of the shifter...I just lifted the back and did it without fully removing it to avoid any damage.

Also, the damn armrest compartment box kept clicking back in to place...I probably popped it back out at least 6 times

·
Registered
4 Posts
Nice write-up! I’m just curious how you removed the rear two screws without removing the console box? It looks like you said in your notes there are two screws but if I recall correctly my module had four screws installed.
Great write up. I just changed my charging module on my 2017 XT5 Luxury model to the new coil #84526978 and followed your instructions. You must unclip the console side panels from the front bottom and work towards the middle clip then the back one, Then pull the bottom of the panel towards the door as there are two prongs that hold the top into the console. I followed the rest of the instructions as written. I had a caddy mechanic tell me not to raise the console compartment too high as you will unclip the programming module from the bottom of the compartment and it is a bear to get it back in. My module only had the two screws and it was sold in August 2016 so I think it was a fairly early one. Thanks for all the help. It made the job as easy as it cold be and now my wife's 10XR charges as it should.

·
Vendor
2019 Silverado LD | Blacked Out
122 Posts
Love the post @JamesU

I'll be honest. My truck did not come with wireless charging. I got a new XR iPhone and I decided..."eh, why not". I can't remember the last time I had to charge my phone at home.

It's a great feature. I am a Carplay fan myself, but really only for NAV. I don't mind plugging in for that when necessary.

10% off by the way... :love: No Promo Code Necessary

·
Registered
2017 Cadillac XT5 Platinum
22 Posts
Is it the same size (width?)
Specifically wondering if it will hold the Samsung galaxies...
I have a Samsung Note 9 (incompatible with the factory wireless charger) and it fits in the slot perfectly, even with my cover.
My model does not charge with the XT5's design, so I inquired about the upgraded charger from GM. The part costs a little over $100 + over $100 to install.

Yet my service manager at Cadillac insists that the upgrade does not fully charge the phone and it is not worth the upgrade.
So getting the wireless charger working will still not allow the Android Play to work without being plugged in. Bummer, either way!

·
Vendor
122 Posts
I have a Samsung Note 9 (incompatible with the factory wireless charger) and it fits in the slot perfectly, even with my cover.
My model does not charge with the XT5's design, so I inquired about the upgraded charger from GM. The part costs a little over $100 + over $100 to install.

Yet my service manager at Cadillac insists that the upgrade does not fully charge the phone and it is not worth the upgrade.
So getting the wireless charger working will still not allow the Android Play to work without being plugged in. Bummer, either way!
The Note 9 is a Qi wireless capable phone. You can install it yourself... we include directions. Not a bad install on the XT5.

You are right...bummer for no wireless android or carplay... but... I was the same way. Why bother? But then I got it, and love it. I always used to forget to charge my phone at home. Now... It's ok. I've never heard of the not fully charging.

Just my opinion. :)

·
Registered
2018 XT5 Premium Luxury
77 Posts
I think he may mean that it doesn't fully charge due to time in vehicle - as in, the charger isn't a fast charger. That's true...but it's nice to have the feature that's supposed to be in the car actually be in the car and work. I do wish it was a fast charger, since samsung has wireless pads that fast charge, so not sure why they didn't use the same technology....

·
Vendor
122 Posts
Older chargers are up to 5 watts

New Qi EPP standard is up to 15 watts

Most "Fast Charging" especially with Samsung product is enabled through the phone, not the charging pad. All Qi has the same peak... that is the reason for the standards, safety.

Here is a samsung link for the note "Fast Charge" option
Not ideal... but it does charge faster... check it out

·
Registered
134 Posts
Hi everyone. I just purchased a 2018 XT5 Premium Luxury, AWD. This is my first Cadillac product. The vehicle does not have the wireless charging option and I would like to install it on the vehicle for a number of reasons. Without it having been installed at the factory can I add it to my vehicle or is there a specific harness required which would make it challenging? Thank you very much.

Mike

·
Registered
25 Posts
Late to the part but I'm considering doing this. Will a Samsung Note 10 charge if I do? I thought I saw somewhere that they weren't compatible? Or does the upgrade resolve that also? The phone just doesn't fit in the charging pocket. 2018 xt5.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello,

Thanks to the forum members who helped point me to the GM part number for a newer wireless charging module that supports iPhone X, XS, and XR. I did the upgrade this past weekend and documented my process for other folks to see and follow.

Enjoy!
I was able to do the upgrade today thanks to the wonderful pictures and instructions in James's post. The only thing I would add is in order to get the sensor ring reattached to the bottom of the console box I removed the two Torx 20 screws on that little black module module the sensor ring wires go into (nice picture of it on page 14) and was able then to attach the sensor ring (which is keyed to only go in in one position) onto the bottom of the console box with the box removed. Then I could simply feed the wires back through the hole as I replaced the box . Re-plug in the little black module and remount it. Easier I think than trying to get it right reaching under from the back.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hello,

Thanks to the forum members who helped point me to the GM part number for a newer wireless charging module that supports iPhone X, XS, and XR. I did the upgrade this past weekend and documented my process for other folks to see and follow.

Enjoy!
Hello All -
In searching for the retrofit GM part 84526978, I’ve been running across what appears to be the same retrofit unit by the vendor Brandmotion. The description indicates it will work for my XT5 as well as the other models. My question is - has anyone had experience with the Brandmotion version? I will likely by the authentic GM part, but was curious as it’s a lower cost. Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
2020 XT5, Premium Luxury AWD Platinum, Garnet Metallic, 20" Ultra-Bright
1,717 Posts
Hello All -
In searching for the retrofit GM part 84526978, I’ve been running across what appears to be the same retrofit unit by the vendor Brandmotion. The description indicates it will work for my XT5 as well as the other models. My question is - has anyone had experience with the Brandmotion version? I will likely by the authentic GM part, but was curious as it’s a lower cost. Thank you in advance.

You will probably understand the reason for the lower price...read the reviews!!

·
Registered
2018 Cadillac XT5 Platinum 3,6L
6 Posts
Hi,
in the Original QI Charger is an antenna for the FOB Keyless Go.
It has Problems to receive the FOB, if you install an other QI Charger at the top, while IPhone is loading. (I tryed to test it)

I have a 2018 EU Version XT5 Platinum, installed now GM part 84526978 and it works fine with my IPhone XS Max.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I just installed the original GM part today. Before I get into it, if anyone has a need for the older charger, just pay shipping and it's yours.

Took 15 minutes start to finish using the instructions that JamesU provided. Thanks for that! I would point out that the console that surrounds the shifter should be removed from the armrest toward the Cue as James indicated. The fasteners remove upward throughout on the 2018 XT5 PL for this step.

For a Samsung Note 9
CaseRemovable Rubber Protector In placeRemovable Rubber Charger Protector RemovedCharges Yes, No, Intermittent
No CaseYesYes
No CaseYes, removedYes
Spigen Tough ArmorYesNo
Spigen Tough ArmorYes, removedIntermittent
Samsung Original LED View Wallet Cover Case for Galaxy Note 9YesYes
Samsung Original LED View Wallet Cover Case for Galaxy Note 9Yes, RemovedYes

So the case definitely influences the performance on the Samsung Note 9. I think that if one wanted to trim the rubber protector to expose the charging unit, it would retain the aesthetics while improving the charging.

Anyhow, thanks again to JamesU!

21 - 37 of 37 Posts