Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2018 XT5
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Thanks to the forum members who helped point me to the GM part number for a newer wireless charging module that supports iPhone X, XS, and XR. I did the upgrade this past weekend and documented my process for other folks to see and follow.

Enjoy!

Attachments

·
Registered
2020 XT5, Premium Luxury AWD Platinum, Garnet Metallic, 20" Ultra-Bright
1,717 Posts
Thanks for the excellent instructions. While I do not need to replace my charging module, the disassembly instructions for the console may come in handy sometime.

Did you do anything about the broken front mounting tab on the passenger side? If not, is it noticeably loose?

Your comment and experience with the mounting tabs may save someone else the same experience.

·
Registered
2018 XT5
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did not take any steps to replace or correct the broken tab issue I had. You may notice a retention difference if you push or pull on the trim panel, but at rest it looks OK with the two remaining tabs holding it up. I have not priced out the replacement yet, but I may let it go (until my wife notices :) ).

·
Registered
2017 Cadillac XT5 Platinum Crystal White Maple Sugar
162 Posts
Hello,

Thanks to the forum members who helped point me to the GM part number for a newer wireless charging module that supports iPhone X, XS, and XR. I did the upgrade this past weekend and documented my process for other folks to see and follow.

Enjoy!
Nice write-up! I’m just curious how you removed the rear two screws without removing the console box? It looks like you said in your notes there are two screws but if I recall correctly my module had four screws installed.

·
Registered
2018 XT5
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There are only two screws holding the wireless charging module in this console (2018 XT5). The rearward mounting tabs are not used in this implementation, but maybe in some other GM cars this module is mounted differently.

My instructions follow along with the 2018 XT5 Cadillac Service Manual, at least with respect to which parts need to be removed or loosened, up to a point. You'll see the Cadillac instructions say to completely remove the console storage bin/box, but they don't differentiate between a partial removal (like I did) and a full removal. Full removal (i.e. taking it totally out of the car) entails a lot more work, but all that work is not necessary for this particular job in order to get to the screws. I tried to show tailored steps and minimal disassembly in my instructions, and GM doesn't do that in their books.

·
Registered
2017 Cadillac XT5 Platinum Crystal White Maple Sugar
162 Posts
Thanks, they must have changed it from 2017 to 2018 as mine had four screws holding the module in. The process was more involved as I needed to fully remove the console box and reconnect the fob sensor below it. With the help of those before me it worked out fine. I would not hesitate to do something like this again, but also am not looking forward to it either....prying off those side panels was a little challenging as I was worried about breaking off a tab.

·
Registered
2018 XT5
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's good to know. I was tempted to assume that this process was the same for 2017, but it clearly has a subtle difference in the screws, making the 2018 slightly easier.

The side panel I broke the tab on can be bought for $75+shipping, so I may go ahead and get one for peace of mind. I alluded to the force it takes to remove one of these as being pretty high, but "remarkably high" is probably more accurate.

·
Registered
2020 XT5, Premium Luxury AWD Platinum, Garnet Metallic, 20" Ultra-Bright
1,717 Posts
The side panel I broke the tab on can be bought for $75+shipping, so I may go ahead and get one for peace of mind. I alluded to the force it takes to remove one of these as being pretty high, but "remarkably high" is probably more accurate.
A broken part would bother me as well. Even if my wife does not complain about it, I would order a new and replace it just knowing it is broken. Again, your instructions and pictures are a great benefit for those who may want to disassemble the console for any reason.

·
Registered
Previously 13 SRX & 17 XT5 Platinum. Now Tesla Model 3.
146 Posts
Without wireless CarPlay, I don’t have the appeal for wireless charging. It’d be ideal to drop my iPhone XS into the charging area and have it wirelessly connect to CarPlay, but in its absence, I use a ProClip mount and a lightning cable. Wireless charging becomes redundant ...

·
Registered
2017 XT5
912 Posts
Without wireless CarPlay, I don’t have the appeal for wireless charging. It’d be ideal to drop my iPhone XS into the charging area and have it wirelessly connect to CarPlay, but in its absence, I use a ProClip mount and a lightning cable. Wireless charging becomes redundant ...
For the most part, I agree. If I could use Android Auto without having to plug it in, then wireless charging would be much more useful. We also have a Qualcomm fast charger plugged in under the console for non-interfaced charging.

·
Registered
Previously 13 SRX & 17 XT5 Platinum. Now Tesla Model 3.
146 Posts
For the most part, I agree. If I could use Android Auto without having to plug it in, then wireless charging would be much more useful. We also have a Qualcomm fast charger plugged in under the console for non-interfaced charging.
Same here; I have an Anker 12V charger plugged in with additional lightning and MicroUSB cables for my passengers. The driver (i.e. ME) gets the CarPlay port.

I have one of these ProClip mounts, and my iPhone slips into that - https://www.proclipusa.com/vehicle/dashboard-mounts/9723-cadillac-xt-5/2017

Works like a charm.

·
Registered
2013 ATS AWD 2.0T
148 Posts
thanks for writeup. is the upgraded wireless pad alot stronger then base? i find the base one sucks and doesnt even hold a charge many times (i have a case but so what, third party chargers still work)

·
Registered
2018 XT5
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I can't really say as we did not use the feature until it was upgraded. The charger/phone combo is responsible for "rate of charge" i.e. how quickly your device receives the energy, but once you disconnect, if you lose charge rapidly, then that is just a wore out battery in the phone. Keep in mind that wireless charging is inherently lossy and takes longer to charge than a cord (rate of charge is lower, especially with cases adding distance). 10 minutes on a cord might be the same charge amount as 20 minutes on the wireless charging pad.

·
Registered
'14 CTS 2.0 Luxury AWD, 2017 XT5 AWD
1,415 Posts
A lot of time, money and effort for an upgrade that is practically worthless. In a 10 -20 minute car ride it accomplishes almost nothing.

·
Registered
2018 XT5
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
In our usage, the wireless charging pad helps. We get in the car, drop the phone in the pocket, and the phone wirelessly connects to the radio via bluetooth. Then Spotify starts streaming and it is a pretty seamless, wire-free experience. When we get to where we are going, we didn't drain the phone's battery and we arrive with a full charge. I agree wireless Apple Carplay would be better, but that is not supported in this radio.

It all depends on how you use it.

·
Registered
2017 XT5 Luxury W/ Carbon Plum Interior
28 Posts
I just received a $500 accessory and service credit from Cadillac to upgrade my wireless charging in my ‘17 XT5. I wrote a complaint to Cadillac Customer Care regarding the poor charging module in my XT5 and not wanting to pay $300-$400 to resolve their design error. A couple of days later I received an email from them offering $500 as good will. Hey give it a try. It beats having to install yourself.

·
Registered
2014 S550, 2018 XT5 Platinum, 2019 XT4 Sport :)
1,758 Posts
In our usage, the wireless charging pad helps. We get in the car, drop the phone in the pocket, and the phone wirelessly connects to the radio via bluetooth. Then Spotify starts streaming and it is a pretty seamless, wire-free experience. When we get to where we are going, we didn't drain the phone's battery and we arrive with a full charge. I agree wireless Apple Carplay would be better, but that is not supported in this radio.

It all depends on how you use it.
Would be nice with wireless Apple CarPlay, primary reason WAZE for the Po Po. :D:D:D

1 - 20 of 37 Posts