Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
O.G. CTS Sport/Lux, V Grilles/Bumpers, sittin on 20's
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my CTS over a month ago, the CD player was jammed and the dealer was too cheap to buy me a new one under my 30 day warranty, so he swapped it with another 03 CTS he got on the lot a month later...

They switched them today, and now they are BOTH locked and neither car seems to have the info/code to unlock them....

How would I go about getting this, and can I do it myself or would I have to take it into see GM??

·
Registered
2003 CTS Manual Trans., '93 STS
3,035 Posts
The dealer ought to know how to do this. He hooks up a Tech2 programmer, and simply clears the VIN from the radio. Once that's done, the next time the radio is turned on, it saves the VIN from the CAN bus into memory, and it's 'married' to the car until the next time it's cleared. It can't be cleared any other way. Any GM dealer will have a Tech2. It doesn't need to be a Cadillac dealer.

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
The procedure requires the use of a scan tool to clear the theft information and get the radio to learn the new VIN.

·
Registered
O.G. CTS Sport/Lux, V Grilles/Bumpers, sittin on 20's
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cool, I'm goin to GM at lunch to get this fixed...THX!!

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
Non Cadi dealers might have trouble, but anyone who has ever worked on a CTS radio should know how to do it.

·
Registered
2003 CTS 3.2L, Luxury Sport, Diamond White
659 Posts
Kingoftypos said:
To VIN a radio to your car? Back then in 07, probably $50. Now it's more like $100.

But I must ask, what is your reasoning for the question?

KOT
I had it done for free. It was a Chevy dealer but they knew how to do it and it didnt take them more than 10 minutes.
But id consider that pretty rare. I'm sure most dealers would charge you.

·
Registered
2006 STS V8 1SF RWD
6,479 Posts
usually about .5-.75 hrs of labor depending on the dealer...ANY GM dealer should be able to do this...It isn't just Cadillac's that have this...

You can also swap out the motherboard from the old unit into the new one if it is still functional, that is where the VIN data is stored.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts