Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1990 DeVille
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to cut off the handle of the VATS key and keep it permanently in the ignition key slot, using the provided tabs to turn the ignition ON and OFF. The probability of theft here is low, and of course the doors are locked. On other cars over the years I used black paint on the end of the key, which made it quite invisible.

However, leaving the key in the ignition generates an alarm when the door opens. Is there a way to turn that off?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1998 Seville STS / 2013 Chevrolet Impala
1,889 Posts
the chime box is somewhere under the dash there, I suppose you can just unplug it.

·
Registered
1990 DeVille
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, on other (later) cars, it was possible to disable that beep in software, through manipulation of switches, etc. I would just use a cut-off key, but worry that some circuit will be activated and will therefore drain the battery. I suppose I could measure battery trickle drain with and without the key, but it would be best if there's a software solution.

As for the chime box, it probably serves several purposes and shouldn't simply be disconnected.

·
Registered
1990 350 Brougham (The cruiser), 1988 Mark VII LSC (The DD)
5,545 Posts
Yes, leave the chime box alone. It also provides dings for serious issues such as low oil and overheating. However, I suppose you could get a wiring diagram for it and disconnect the signal to the chime module that tells it when the door is open.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts