Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1997 Professional Chassis Raised Roof Presidential Limousine
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my 2008 DTS Performance with 170K when I take off from a stop, I can hear and feel some play in the driveline as I step on the gas. If I take off real gently, it doesn't happen. Could this be mounts or a suspension issue? I already replaced the upper mount.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
70,384 Posts
What upper mount ? (Did the "DTS" go back to dogbones ?) The center mount has been covered in Seville/Deville for the entire 13 years of this site's life. Get a trusted assistant. Pop the hood and have him/her start the engine, firmly hold the service brake with the left foot and shift to D. While holding the brake, you look at the left side (front) of the engine - have the assistant accelerate the engine to 1500 - 1800 rpm and let off easily. Did the engine torque and move more than 3/4 - 1 " toward the firewall ??? If it did, the front center mount is broken.

·
Registered
06 Cadillac DTS
278 Posts
Just changed the bottom front mount on my 06 before we left Florida. I felt cv joint vibration in the steering wheel. Fixed that plus the shifts feel better.
Norm

·
Registered
2005 CTS/ 2008 DTS/ 2008 STS V8 N*/ 2011 CTS4 ALL W/D Pearl
688 Posts
Just changed the bottom front mount on my 06 before we left Florida. I felt cv joint vibration in the steering wheel. Fixed that plus the shifts feel better.
Norm
Do you mean the new motor mount took away the (what you thought was cv joint vibration in the steering wheel) or did you replace the cv joint and the motor mount?

·
Registered
2006 DTS LUX III, 2006 DTS w/sunroof & navigation (scrapped), 1997 ETC (Sold)
211 Posts
I'm thinking that I have the same issue. After a year of ownership and 35,000 miles it occurred to me that it could be a motor mount. What had been throwing me was the fact that ambient air temp affected the vibration. If it is 20 degrees or colder there is no vibration while powering up hill or into turns. Let it get warmer and the vibration starts. At 60 degrees it feels like a C/V shaft is going to obtain orbit if you really tromp on it while making a turn. I suppose the mount is firmer at low temps.
I had already changed both C/V shafts and front wheel bearings shortly after purchase. Also changed the dog bone strut in November. That improved things but the weather turned cold as well. Kinda' forgot about it completely all winter. Now it warmed up a bit the vibration is back.

Mike.

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,323 Posts
Diagnosing the front mount is explained in post #2.

The side mounts are visually inspected for cracks and/or leaking fluid.

The rear mount is solid and is almost never an issue.

·
Registered
2006 Cadillac DTS, 1999 Cadillac Seville
315 Posts
There are only three rubber mounts correct? The trans mount on the passenger side of the engine...The front engine mount and the rear engine mount. The rest are brackets. I believe I'm having a similar issue and will replace the trans mount and possible the front mount. I have replaced the strut mount already.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts