Cadillac Owners Forum banner

How to Shut off DRLs (and add digital coolant temp and speedo in the dic)

55K views 21 replies 16 participants last post by  cadillaxjoe96 
#1 ·
Mods Please STICKY!!!!
NOTES
THIS ONLY WORKS FOR THE FOLLOWING MODELS!!!
96-02 Eldorado, ETC, ESC
96-97 Seville, STS, SLS
96-99 Deville, Concourse, DeElegance

~~~~~TO ADD COOLANT AND MPH DIC MESSAGE~~~~~
1) Press the OFF and PASS WARMER (referred to from here as WARMER) buttons simultaneously to enter diagnostic mode.

2) Let the system read any codes it has stored. You will ultimately be presented with "PCM?". You will answer with the fan speed control button. UP = yes and DOWN = no.

3) Press DOWN until you are presented with "IPC?". On mine, it's the very next prompt. When you get to the "IPC?" prompt, press UP to enter the IPC area (Instrument Panel Cluster).

4) Press DOWN until you are presented with "IPC OVERRIDE?". Press UP to enter the override area.

5) Scroll down (with the DOWN button) until you get to Option E. Wait a second or two, and the override value will appear to the right where the TRIP ODOMETER normally reads. Yours will probably read "43". That's what mine read when I first did this.

Below are the Option E values:

- Coolant Temp message (64)
- Battery Volts message (32)
- Engine RPM message (16)
- Avg Mph message (8)
- Mph message (4)
- Fuel Used message (2)
- Inst Mpg message (1)

The stock displays (for analog E/K displays) are Battery Volts, Avg Mph, Fuel Used, and Inst Mpg, for a total value of "43".

6) Use the WARMER button to increment the value of the override. In this case, we want to add Coolant Temp, so we're going to add "64" to "43", or "107". Press the WARMER button repeatedly to increment the value from "43" to "107".

If you make a mistake, you can decrement the value by pressing the COOLER button.

7) To permanently save the new value, hold the FRONT DEFROST and the A/C buttons simultaneously until the new override value flashes once.

8) You're done. Press OFF repeatedly to "back out" of the diagnostic system. You'll probably need to press OFF 5 or 6 times to get out of the deep "menu structure" you're in now.

Now, the coolant temp (in units specified) should be one "stop" along the revolving door we call the DIC. If you are in metric units, the coolant temp will read in *C. If you are in standard units, it'll read in *F.

~~~~~TO SHUT OFF DRLS~~~~~

1-4 FOLLOW ABOVE DIRECTIONS!!!

5) Scroll down (with the DOWN button) until you get to Option C. Wait a second or two, and the override value will appear to the right where the TRIP ODOMETER normally reads.

Below are the Option C values:

IPS03 Option C
- RSS installed (128)
-Premium Unleaded Fuel Only -
-Graphic supression (digital) (64)
-Daytime running lamps enabled (32)
-Cellular Telephone Installed (16)
-BTSI message suppression (4)
-Options not set (2)
-FUEL LEVEL LOW message suppresion (1)

6) Use the COOLER button to decrease the value of the override. In this case, we want to remove the DRLs so subtract your number by 32

If you make a mistake, you can decrement the value by pressing the WARMER button.

7) To permanently save the new value, hold the FRONT DEFROST and the A/C buttons simultaneously until the new override value flashes once.

8) You're done. Press OFF repeatedly to "back out" of the diagnostic system. You'll probably need to press OFF 5 or 6 times to get out of the deep "menu structure" you're in now.

NOTE!!!!
in order for your drls to ACTUALLY BE OFF your twilight must be pushed all the way to the left and your fog lights (when applicable) must be off as well!!!

HOPE THIS HELPS
ETC97

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
heres all the option values in the event anyone wants to play with them for any reason

IPS01 Option A
-Universal Theft Deterrent enabled (8)
-Personalization / Memory Installed (4)
-Interior Purge enabled (1)

IPS02 OPtion B ( EXport Country)
-Eropean Economic Community (EEC) (16)
-Japan (8)
-Saudi Arabia (4)
-Canada (2)
-Norway/ Sweden (1)

IPS03 Option C
-RSS installed (128)
-Premium Unleaded Fuel Only Graphic supression [DIGITAL ONLY] (64)
-Daytime running lamps enabled (32)
-Cellular Telephone Installed (16)
-BTSI message suppression (4)
-Options not set (2)
-FUEL LEVEL LOW message suppresion (1)

IPS04 Option D (HVAC Options)
-Afterblow enabled (128)
-De-Ice Installed (64)
-Timer Recirc enabled (16)
-Dual Zone HVAC Installed (8)

Below are the Option E (DIC features)
- Coolant Temp message (64)
- Battery Volts message (32)
- Engine RPM message [DIGITAL ONLY] (16)
- Avg Mph message (8)
- Mph message (4)
- Fuel Used message (2)
- Inst Mpg message (1)

#5 ·
I used the procedure to get the digital speedometer and coolant temp for a '97 SLS...it worked fine. I wonder why Cadillac didn't include those options in the factory setup?? I prolly won't ever use the speedometer feature, but I really like knowing exactly what temp the coolant is at. Nice post.

#6 ·
it wasnt really supposed to be for the Eldo and Seville
this was on the Deville which had a digital speedo and no coolant gauge
Its cheaper and easier to use the same programming and adjust it so they had those features on for the Deville by default and off on the Eldo and Seville

#13 ·
I mentioned this before, but since this is more frequently visited than the other thread, I'll alos put the pics here. I have a 1998 Eldorado Touring Coupe, which did not originally come with a digital speedo or coolant temp gauge. Using the procedures outlined here, I got them both. Was going for the Tach too, but decided I would never need it.

Both work exactly as they should while driving, and it is really cool to see the exact temperature of the engine. The Speedo is obviously redundant, but I do like setting the cruise control a little high, so this let's me get exactly the margin over the speed limit that I'm looking for.

#16 ·
Also wanted to add that at least for my '96 Deville, all of the other options in the list work very well!

I was successfully able to:

1: Disable DRLs. Twilight Sentinel is still 100% functional.

2. Supress BTSI message. The dash no longer displays the "depress brake to shift from park" message at startup.

3. Enable factory security system. My Deville apparently didn't have the $300 optional factory alarm, but all the equipment is in place. As soon as I added the override code, I've got a fully functional alarm now!

#17 ·
Although this is an ooold thread I say: thanks a million!!!

I have a 1997 STS that was originally imported to Germany but nowadays lives it's new youth in Finland with only 144.000km (89tml). I bought this car one month ago and was very disappointed to find out that the speedometer showed about 10% too high. This being my sixth American automobile in a row (I've had two Plymouths, two Chryslers and two Cadillacs) and never ever before had I seen such an inaccurate speedometer - not even in those 1960's Plymouths.

Well, I first changed the IPS05 Option E (DIC features) mentioned earlier in the opening post to get the digital km/h reading. That proved to show the same value as the "analog" speedo. So, nothing wrong with the analog meter.

Next thing I changed the IPS02 OPtion B (Export Country) from 16 (EEC) to 2 (Canada). I first tried this a couple of times with the car parked safely and then went to motor way, engaged the cruise control at about 2000-2100RPM with the speedo showing 108km/h with Export country option EEC (16) and then changed it to Canada (2). The speedometer (both digital and analog) readings dropped down to 100km/h. Boy, am I happy now! Now the speedo error is reduced to the normal 2..3km/h (1..2mph) that I've been familiar with in my earlier American cars.

It's a well known fact that the speedometers in most European and Japanese make cars show that extra 10% - what the heck for, I just wonder? :cookoo: - but I was very surprised to find out that even an American car manufacturer had gone into that international idiocy.

So thanks again for this tip! I'll yet have to check that my lights act normally (more or less according to the Finnish legislation) and if they do, I'll stick to Canada from now on. I tried the Sweden/Norway (1) option also but that gave me the obligatory DRL feature that I do not like.

PS. I did not get the digital Engine RPM message although I set the IPS05 Option E (DIC features) to 127. But that's a minor flaw :).

#18 ·
thanks for the sticky on DIC values. I changed my engine temp last year now I want to add MPH (4) and RPM (16). I should
indicate I have a '99 eldo base. My question is should I do these one at a time , then back out and do the other or may I set them both at the same time by adding the values (20).
thanks ,ED

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.