Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am sure a bunch of you guys already know this but for those that don't I wanted to make a thread showing you the easiest way to search the forums as using the built in search can be an arduous task!

Go to Google and type the search phrase you want to look for first. Next type the word "site:" and then finally the web site that you want to search "cadillacforums.com". In this screenshot I am searching for the phrase "Maggie" within the entire site.

Alternatively (and what I prefer) is to search within the V specific sub forums. To do so just change the web address to include which sub forum you want to search as shown:

Here I am searching for the phrase "Maggie" within the general discussion area only. Alternatively you can swap the general section for the performance or appearence section as needed.

I hope this helps some people out in trying to dig up old information and retain your sanity. BTW this works for all sites and forums just the same.

Jon

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. Hopefully it will help out a few.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a similar search bookmarked. You can do multiple sites as well if you want to search the general/performance/appearance sections at the same time.
Awesome! I didn't know you could do that, thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
Hold on, gotta google arduous :confused:

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
i prefer to use the advanced search feature on this site and restrict my keyword to just the thread titles so I get more focused results.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i prefer to use the advanced search feature on this site and restrict my keyword to just the thread titles so I get more focused results.
That "works" but is slow and doesn't net all of the relevant threads. Try using that for a specific thread you know exists, sometimes it won't find that specific thread even though your set parameters should find it....

I believe google is quicker and more efficient.

·
Registered
13,969 Posts
if you like to use custom search plugins (and add them into your browser) then try the two that I made
http://mycroft.mozdev.org/search-engines.html?name=cadillacforums.com
(if you're on chrome you have to set up the keyword since there is no separate search box)

these custom search plugins basically search google and add on the site: stuff for you automatically
one is for the whole CF site and the other is just for the CTSV 2nd Gen forum
(also, they've got nice little 'favicons' with the cadillac logo and the V logo to remind you what they are)

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Bump for influx of new members.

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
this should be a :sticky:

·
Registered
509 Posts
Damn good advice and very helpful. On behalf of the newbie community - thanks for the bump!!!

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
13,969 Posts
has anyone tried the search plugin(s) that I made?

i would have expected at least one or two people to try and not be able to figure out how to get it working...

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
has anyone tried the search plugin(s) that I made?

i would have expected at least one or two people to try and not be able to figure out how to get it working...
I did for a short time. The problem I found was it was searching the entire site vice the 04-07 V sections. Then I guess I just gave up on it when I switched over to Chrome again...

·
Registered
13,969 Posts
i did make a second one for the V2 sub-forum that someone requested... i don't really use it much so i'm not sure if it really works... if you try it out and it seems to work i might make one for you for the V1 sub-forum.

but i find it better to search the whole forum ... but that's just me

thanks for the feedback

·
Registered
509 Posts
I just used CancerJCC's search method w/ Google and it works great. I had a question about cleaning and oiling my Volant CAI - the threads I found were very old (would probably never have found them just browsing), but they answered my questions perfectly.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
About this Discussion
30 Replies
14 Participants
doubleshotV