Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
O.G. CTS Sport/Lux, V Grilles/Bumpers, sittin on 20's
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so a couple yrs ago, I swapped out my faulty stock radio for an aftermarket one. Was a big job, had to buy the wire harness to keep my chimes n engine lights working, but the only problem is that I CANT RESET MY OIL LIGHT ANYMORE. Its very very annoying, every red light is comes on... I've seached forums, asked my stereo guy, asked the caddy techs, and no one seems to have an answer, but there must be a way??

If not I might have to bite the bullet and order a stock NAV unit, cuz this is ridiculous...

·
Registered
2003 CTS "Ebony Maria" 2005 Cadillac STS "Grace"
6,414 Posts
when you went aftermarket, did you do the DIC mod? if so, then it would be like normal, if you dont have the DIC, then you are just stuck with it

·
Registered
04 CTS 3.6L "The Gray Ghost"(R.I.P), 05 CTS 3.6L "Fin"
374 Posts
If you have no DIC, then what light is it you are talking about?
The dash light?
The DIC alert is what gets reset after an oil change.
If your dash light is on, I think you got something else going on.
When was your last oil change?

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The oil is fine. I've had codes pulled and they can reset check engine lights, no prob. Its the little red oil light, with the incessant chime that comes on every time I'm at a red light thats driving me up the wall!!

Guess I have to live with it or get a new DIC....

·
Registered
2006 3.6-Volant CAI, V-exhaust, LED swap, Clear DRL, 6000k
1,698 Posts
isnt the red oil light that is in the gage cluster for low oil level not oil life?

·
Registered
2006 CTS-V
4,969 Posts
If the little oil pan with the droplet is whats showing up on the dash cluster, then thats not an oil change light, thats an oil pressure issue.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
oil pressure? what does that mean?? my oil level is fine...?

·
Registered
2006 CTS-V
4,969 Posts
Oil pressure, the pressure of the oil in the system is low. The oil might be fine but something is up. Get the codes read. The oil pressure message is in the manual. Probably the oil pressure switch or something might need to be replaced. First off, before anything, get the codes read. Autozone I believe will read the codes for free and should give you a print out of all the codes that pop up.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hmm, but I've had codes checked and cleared for other things, never any oil code has come up. And once the codes have been cleared for lets say the check engine light, the oil light comes back immediately, without fail...

·
Registered
2006 CTS-V
4,969 Posts
Have someone use a live OBD2 scanner then. This is an Oil pressure issue. Check your manual for that symbol on the dash. That isn't a oil life %, thats an oil pressure light.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hmm, what do they do to fix oil pressure?

·
Registered
2006 CTS-V
4,969 Posts
Depends on what the issue is. Get the codes read. LOL Then you'll know exactly what the pressure issue is and you'll have an idea of what can be done.

·
Registered
2004 3.6L v6 cts lux
869 Posts
You must have a bigger issue. I removed my radio and DIC without a special harness just hooked up the audio and power to the radio and i never get the check oil light on my dash. I've been with this setup for over 3 years driving from brooklyn back to queens on a daily basis and no lights of that sort.

·
Registered
13,969 Posts
It's possible that the oil light that normally comes on for an oil pressure issue will come on to alert of a needed oil change if the oil life monitor isn't reset after a while... but i'm not sure about that

low oil pressure 'should' set a code

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
@RoyalFlush, if you didn't get the wire harness then you will never get any lights or chimes at all, that's what that harness is for...

·
Registered
06 CTS Sport/Luxury package
9,858 Posts
How long has this oil light been on? The guys are right, it's for oil pressure not the oil life monitor that the radio use to do.

A simple OBII is not going to see that oil pressure sensor, typically one that isn't made for a back yard mechanic. Even the OBDII readers that the auto parts stores uses to do the free scan isn't going to see it.

What a mechanic would do is to replace the oil pressure sensor at this point. If you've been driving with this light on with a lot of miles and time. Then your pressure would seem fine, just the sensor is faulty. The sensor is designed to fail to a point where it tells the computer "low oil pressure". This is so it can't fail to a point where you actually have low pressure, but according to the sensor "all is fine."

KOT

·
Registered
06 CTS Sport/Luxury package
9,858 Posts
@RoyalFlush, if you didn't get the wire harness then you will never get any lights or chimes at all, that's what that harness is for...
Actually, RoyalFlush is correct. For our particular set up a special $100 harness is not needed to keep the chimes and lights. The lights are done by the dashboard computer while the chimes are done by the factory amp. As a matter of fact when I was doing my aftermarket radio install. I had to go to the store for something and just left both radios out. Still had all the chimes and what not.

KOT

1 - 20 of 25 Posts