Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2009 cts
3 Posts
putting 20" wheels and tires on a 2009 cts with 18" factory wheels and tires

What do I need to do in order to reset the computer to read my new 20" wheels and tires correctly on the tire pressure monitor and the odometer/speedometer?

·
Registered
2009 cts
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
how do you reset the computer after putting bigger wheels on 2009 cts?

What do I do in order for the computer to recognize the new wheels and pressure sensors? and how do I reset the computer for 20" wheels instead of 18" factory wheels and tires?

·
Super Moderator
'05 CTS-V
8,022 Posts
Re: how do you reset the computer after putting bigger wheels on 2009 cts?

What do I do in order for the computer to recognize the new wheels and pressure sensors?
On the 1st gen cars there's a way to reprogram the TPMS sensors with just the key fob. I don't know if you can do that on the 2nd gen cars, but hopefully someone else can chime in on that. It may be that you'll have to have the dealer reprogram them for you. If you have a good dealership, they'll do it for free, since it takes all of about 3 or 4 minutes; if you have a more typical dealership, they'll probably charge you 1/2 hour of labor or something ridiculous like that.

and how do I reset the computer for 20" wheels instead of 18" factory wheels and tires?
:confused: Reset it for what? What size were your 18" tires, and what size are your new 20" tires?

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,404 Posts
Re: putting 20" wheels and tires on a 2009 cts with 18" factory wheels and tires

Your post has nothing to do with Site News and Registration. Please read the descriptive text in each forum banner to find out what is supposed to be posted there.

Moved to the proper CTS forums.

·
Registered
2011 CTS Coupe
263 Posts

The self programming still works on gen 2. I used it on my 19" wheels/tires. Here is the procedure:

1.Turn the ignition to the ON position (engine off).
2.Using the key fob, press and hold lock and unlock buttons simultaneously until horn sounds, and then LF turn signal will become illuminated to indicate learn mode enabled. Or using the DIC, press and release INFO button until TIRE LEARN message is indicated on display. Hold down SET/RESET button until horn sounds, LF turn signal is illuminated to indicate learn mode enabled.
3.Starting with LF tire, increase/decrease the pressure until horn sounds.
4.After horn sounds, proceed as in step 3 for the next 3 sensors in the following order: RF, RR, LR.
5.After LR sensor has been learned, turn ignition to OFF position. Adjust all tires to pressure listed on tire placard.

WITH PUSH-BUTTON START

1.Press and hold the push button start until the vehicle is in accessary mode. Note: on Cadillac models you will know when you are in accessary mode when the Cadillac emblem appears on the DIC.
2.Press the MENU button located on the turn signal lever until VEHICLE INFORMATION MENU is displayed.
3.Once you are in the VEHICLE INFORMATION MENU, use the on the turn signal lever until the DIC displays the vehicleメs tire inflation pressures and positions.
4.Press and hold the button located on the end of the turn signal lever until Are you sure that you want to relearn? YES or NO is displayed.
5.Use the on the turn signal lever to highlight YES.
6.Once YES is highlighted, press the button located on the end of the turn signal lever. The horn will chirp, Tire Learning Active will be displayed on the DIC, and the left front turn signal will be illuminated.
7.Beginning with the left front tire, use a TPMS activation tool to activate the left front sensor. Once the sensor has been activated, the horn will chirp and the right front turn signal will be illuminated.
8.Repeat procedure in following order, right front sensor, right rear sensor, and finally the left rear sensor.
9.Once the left rear sensor has been activated, the horn will chirp twice. You can then turn the vehicle off to exit learn mode.

·
Registered
SOLD - 2010 CTS4 Premium Wagon-Diamond White-Cashmere Interior
2,930 Posts

What do I do in order for the computer to recognize the new wheels and pressure sensors? and how do I reset the computer for 20" wheels instead of 18" factory wheels and tires?
You can't reset your odometer to compensate for larger wheels/tires. You might ask you Cadillac dealer if they can reset it using their computers.

Let us know what you find out.

Marv

·
Registered
CTS, STS
103 Posts

I have 255/35ZR20 tires and my speedo is right on. 08 CTS

·
Registered
2013 Black Diamond CTS4 Premium Coupe (sold-09 CTS4 DI Black Raven/Ebony)
4,337 Posts

TMI Scott...we really don't want to know about your beachwear :canttalk:

·
Registered
2009 CTS
3 Posts

parking brake on,turn ignition to acc. hold down lock/unlock buttons together until you hear 2 horn beeps. Starting on driver side front,lower your tire psi continuously until you a hear a single honk. Then to passenger side front,again lower air until beep,then passenger rear,then driver rear. After driver rear you should hear 2 honks,tpms read honk,and a confirmation honk. your done. Turn key off,re-fill air to correct PSI. You only have 5 min to get all tires done once you start. Just did it last week on my 09 cts.

----------

forgot to mention I had to drop mine down to around 20psi before horn honked,so be patient

·
Registered
2009 cts
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Ok thx, Shit my new wheels and tires came with nitrogen.

----------

And also I do not have navigation or the pop up screen.:bigroll:

·
Registered
Gone; ‘09 V, ‘13 V coupe. Curr; ‘14 PG Vsport prem w/Kona interior
6,177 Posts
Don't worry about the nitrogen. If you need more pressure just add good old fashioned compressed air. Using nitrogen in everyday passenger vehicles is a waste of money IMO.

·
Super Moderator
'05 CTS-V
8,022 Posts

The self programming still works on gen 2. I used it on my 19" wheels/tires. Here is the procedure:

1.Turn the ignition to the ON position (engine off).
2.Using the key fob, press and hold lock and unlock buttons simultaneously until horn sounds, and then LF turn signal will become illuminated to indicate learn mode enabled. Or using the DIC, press and release INFO button until TIRE LEARN message is indicated on display. Hold down SET/RESET button until horn sounds, LF turn signal is illuminated to indicate learn mode enabled.
3.Starting with LF tire, increase/decrease the pressure until horn sounds.
4.After horn sounds, proceed as in step 3 for the next 3 sensors in the following order: RF, RR, LR.
5.After LR sensor has been learned, turn ignition to OFF position. Adjust all tires to pressure listed on tire placard.
parking brake on,turn ignition to acc. hold down lock/unlock buttons together until you hear 2 horn beeps. Starting on driver side front,lower your tire psi continuously until you a hear a single honk. Then to passenger side front,again lower air until beep,then passenger rear,then driver rear. After driver rear you should hear 2 honks,tpms read honk,and a confirmation honk. your done. Turn key off,re-fill air to correct PSI. You only have 5 min to get all tires done once you start. Just did it last week on my 09 cts.

forgot to mention I had to drop mine down to around 20psi before horn honked,so be patient
OK, that's the same procedure that the 1st gen cars use. There is no need to release (or add) air continuously until the horn honks. You just need to drop or add a couple/few PSI from the tire so that the system can sense a change. So, release air from the tire for maybe 6 or 8 seconds, then stop and wait. If the horn doesn't beep after a bit (sometimes the horn honks almost immediately, other times I've had it take as long as probably 20 seconds), release air for another few seconds and then wait again.

Don't worry about the nitrogen. If you need more pressure just add good old fashioned compressed air. Using nitrogen in everyday passenger vehicles is a waste of money IMO.
Agreed, it's a ridiculous racket. The new cars @ Hendrick have "nitrogen-filled tires" as a $199 dealer add-on! :eek: :nono:

·
Registered
CTS
6 Posts
Re: How to reset ne TPMS sensors?

Found this in the manual -- hope it helps:

TPMS Sensor Matching Process

Each TPMS sensor has a unique identification code.
Any time you replace one or more of the TPMS sensors
or rotate your vehicle’s tires, the identification codes
need to be matched to the new tire/wheel position.
The sensors are matched to the tire/wheel positions in
the following order: driver side front tire, passenger
side front tire, passenger side rear tire, and driver side
rear tire using a TPMS diagnostic tool. See your
dealer/retailer for service.

The TPMS sensors can also be matched to each
tire/wheel position by increasing or decreasing the tire’s
air pressure. If increasing the tire’s air pressure, do
not exceed the maximum inflation pressure indicated on
the tire’s sidewall. To decrease the tire’s air-pressure
use the pointed end of the valve cap, a pencil-style
air pressure gage, or a key.

You have two minutes to match the first tire/wheel
position, and five minutes overall, to match all four
tire/wheel positions. If it takes longer than two minutes,
to match the first tire and wheel, or more than
five minutes to match all four tire and wheel positions,
the matching process stops and you need to start over.

The TPMS matching process is outlined below:

1. Set the parking brake.

2. Turn the ignition switch to ON/RUN with the
engine off.

3. Press the Remote Keyless Entry (RKE) transmitter’s
lock and unlock buttons at the same time for
approximately five seconds. The horn sounds
twice to signal the receiver is in relearn mode
and Tire Learning Active message displays on the
DIC screen.

4. Start with the driver side front tire.

5. Remove the valve cap from the valve stem.
Activate the TPMS sensor by increasing or
decreasing the tire’s air pressure for 10 seconds,
or until a horn chirp sounds. The horn chirp, which
can take up to 30 seconds to sound, confirms
that the TPMS sensor identification code has
been matched to this tire position.

6. Proceed to the passenger side front tire, and repeat
the procedure in Step 5.

7. Proceed to the passenger side rear tire, and repeat
the procedure in Step 5.

8. Proceed to the driver side rear tire, and repeat the
procedure in Step 5.

9. After hearing the confirming horn chirp, for the
driver side rear tire, the horn sounds two more
times to signal the tire learning mode is no longer
active. Turn the ignition switch to LOCK/OFF.

10. Set all four tires to the recommended air
pressure level as indicated on the tire and
loading information label.

11. Put the valve caps back on the valve stems.

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
14,143 Posts

There you go!

·
Registered
SOLD - 2010 CTS4 Premium Wagon-Diamond White-Cashmere Interior
2,930 Posts

Or, just go to your dealer and they can do it in a few minutes!

Marv

1 - 20 of 20 Posts