Cadillac Owners Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody

I have a 2011 CTS Coupe.
I changed my water pump, and of course it was impossible to fill enterely the system with fresh dexcool fluid.
So I decided to drive few miles, to raise down the water level in the expansion bowl.
Climbing a small hill I had the message "Overheating". Not a surprise. I knew that one liter was missing.
I stopped immediately, but the message "Engine power reduced" came on.
I waited the engine to cool, then filling completely the system. All was OK, no leaks, no more overheating.
But the next day, the "Engine reduce power" message remained on.

Should it clear automaticaly, as all is now Ok, or is there a procedure for that ?
Waiting for your advice
Sincerely

·
Registered
2010 CTS4 sedan
2,364 Posts
Hello everybody

I have a 2011 CTS Coupe.
I changed my water pump, and of course it was impossible to fill enterely the system with fresh dexcool fluid.
So I decided to drive few miles, to raise down the water level in the expansion bowl.
Climbing a small hill I had the message "Overheating". Not a surprise. I knew that one liter was missing.
I stopped immediately, but the message "Engine power reduced" came on.
I waited the engine to cool, then filling completely the system. All was OK, no leaks, no more overheating.
But the next day, the "Engine reduce power" message remained on.

Should it clear automaticaly, as all is now Ok, or is there a procedure for that ?
Waiting for your advice
Sincerely
Some codes need a few cycles to clear if they're going to clear on their own whereas others clear automatically.

Did you fully drain the system when you changed the water pump and then do a refill or did you partially drain?

Here's the fill part of the recommended drain and fill procedure (somewhat abridged):
  • Close the radiator drain
  • Slowly add a mixture of 50/50 DEX-COOL antifreeze and clean drinkable water to the cooling system through the top of the surge tank opening.
  • Slowly fill the cooling system until the coolant stabilizes at 25 mm (1 inch) above the FULL COLD mark on the surge tank.
  • Install the surge tank cap.
  • Start the engine.
  • Run the engine at 2,000-2,500 RPM until the engine reaches normal operating temperature.
  • Allow the engine to idle for 3 minutes.
  • Shut the engine OFF.
  • Allow the engine to cool.
  • Add or remove coolant as necessary from the surge tank until the level is stabilized at the FULL COLD mark.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks a lot. This kind of message is it supposed to clear automatically ?
Yes I drained all the coolant. But drived 2 miles slowly instead of leaving the engine running in my garage.

·
2011 CTS Coupe Premium
Orlando - We take orphans
4,377 Posts
What I recall is that "reduced power" occurs when the coolant sensor reaches 268F. Can display exactly with Torque Pro. I get concerned at 200F. Manual has a way to burp the system. I replaced my water pump and had no problem but have a rad pressure pump (reverse mi-t-vac).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts