Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Srx 2012
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ADMIN I CANNOT UPLOAD THE PICTURES, CAN YOU OVERIDE THE RESTRICTION JUST THIS ONCE OR SUGGEST A SOLUTION. THANKS
hello I wanted to share my experience replacing the sunshade. Thing you will need:

1) six pack of beers.
2) torx set and socket set from 6-10 milimiters. Extensions for the sockets and the torxs because there are places difficult to get to without them.
3) LOT of patience.

First start by removing the door seals just half way, remove the front column plastic cover, they come off easy with your hands. Remove only the torx screws holding the both visors left and right.
Follow up by removing the center column cover, underneath airbag emblem there is 7 millimeter bolt remove it. Pry again with your hands. Repeat procedure for other side.(PLASTIC CLICPS CAN COME LOSE AND FALL PAY CLOSE ATENTION YOU WONT LOSE IT,IT FALLS THERE )
Remove the rear column plastic covers, remove airbag emblem there is another 7 millimeter bolt. Pry gentle with your hands (PLASTIC CLICPS CAN COME LOSE AND FALL PAY CLOSE ATENTION YOU WONT LOSE IT,IT FALLS THERE ) You will need to remove the load cover torx bolt too. There are 2 plastic clips in the back of the headliner pry gentle with a 6 inch long piece of whatever.
Follow by removing the handles from the roof (4), is 8 millimeter bolt, they come off easy. Remove the other plastic holders (4) by prying easily with a plastic pry tool or flat butter knife. In total you will have 8 bolts, 2 per handle.

A this point your headliner should be fairly lose, but don't worry it wont fall because in the center has metal piece holding it very firm. You should see all around, the headliner is very lose.

Fold the rear seats and sit facing backwards pry gentle with your hands and loosen up the center opening of the headliner> The clips will come off the metal piece do not worry you can put them back later. The headliner wont fall all the way but by now you should see the a black bracket holding the sunshade.

Remove the 5 torx screws 2 from the front and 3 from the rear access. Remove it from the cassete that moves it back and forth, do this by rolling the casseste all the way back, it has plastic clips holding the metal piece and plastic clips holding the sunshade. The metal piece will come lose hold it and replace with your new Cadillac purchased one. Unroll like 10turns before you do it. Tighten the 5 screws nice and tight. Be very patient when prying the headliner to gain access. The area is tight and you don't want fold marks on your headliner after you finish.
When putting the new sunshade in the cassete do it by inserting the sunshade in the plastic pieces insert it in the cassete then clip on the cassete brackets. Then test it nice and slow NOT ALL THE WAY , JUST A LITTLE.
once done , remove the pin holding the sunshade so it didn't unroll when you were installing it. Just pull it. DO NOT DO THIS BEFORE AS YOU WILL NEED TO HANDLE THE SUNSHADE A FEW TIMES. Test it all the way nice and easy make sure is not getting stock anywhere , if it is, check and see if there dirt or broken plastic piecesfrom the old brackets.

I REPEAT , BE VERY CAREFUL WHEN PRYING THE HEADLINER.

Your new shade is in, rolling nice back and forth. With no issues like new. Have 2 beers, pad yourself, you are halfway there.

At this point there are no more new steps, start by assembling everything. The clips from the metal piece in the center of the headliner should be first as it will hold the headliner in place for you. Then repeat the steps in reverse.

Some people might prefer not to remove as many things but , headliners are very fragile things by doing so you will have more flexibility overall while prying here and there. The headliner will get somewhat dirty. Just use Tuff Stuff from auto parts. It works wonders for me.

I will post the picture I took. Enjoy and I hope it helps.

If your sunshade beggar tearing chances are someone was messing with by hand because you will realize this things fit in the casete very tight. Just a thought.

Please feel free to add or suggest any steps I probably missed.

ADMIN I CANNOT UPLOAD THE PICTURES, CAN YOU OVERIDE THE RESTRICTION JUST THIS ONCE OR SUGGEST A SOLUTION. THANKS

·
Registered
2010 SRX Premium (3.0L, FWD), 2008 CTS (3.6L DI, AWD)
368 Posts
Do you still have your photos? If you are still unable to post them here can you upload them to something like imgur and post a link? THANKS!

·
Registered
2011 SRX
3 Posts
My sunshade gets stuck after going back 4"-5". I'm thinking I'll have to pull the roof down to see what's going on too. Sure would be nice to have pictures or even a video to see how this is done. Anyone else have a stuck sunshade? 2011 SRX.

·
Registered
2010 SRX Premium (3.0L, FWD), 2008 CTS (3.6L DI, AWD)
368 Posts
Mine has a wrinkle in the rear driver's side that got caught once, but hasn't again in almost a year. I plan on replacing the shade if/when it starts doing it regularly - and I will make a detailed video at that time. I know that doesn't help you now, but as long as mine is working I don't want to drop the whole headliner for that one minor wrinkle.

·
Registered
2012 SRX
3 Posts
My 2012 SRX has sagging sunshade (entire cover) too!! And just a few miles out of warranty!

After reading everyone’s posts, I think Cadillac should recall this sunshade since there are so many of you online experiencing this problem. There MUST be a video somewhere.....

Otherwise, I guess I’m out $800! Crazy!

·
Registered
2012 SRX
3 Posts
And to reply to the person inquiring about back hatch not opening... it’s the strut that lifts the hatch, right side strut. Go online, pay $30 for the strut, get a helper, remove a lower and upper clip and viola! Back hatch opens and stays open! My hatch closed on me while loading groceries. Wouldn’t automatically open. I had to reach behind me and push that open/close button. Called dealer and he wanted $600 to replace! Huh? A 2000% markup?
Do it yourself... I just got a bonus $570!! Look at it that way.

·
Registered
2011 SRX Premium
11 Posts
Well I finally took the plunge and replaced my sunshade on my 2011 to start the new year. I bought a new one off ebay last summer for $170 but waited till now because its too hot in my garage in the summer (florida). One suggestion I would make is to not remove the headliner surround completely. What I mean is leave the front sun visors and front roof center control panel on and only remove from the front assist handles back and let the surround sag down. You can still reach the entire back area- where the sunshade is in the cassette. When I initially finished the sunshade wouldn't come all the way forward. By this point I was tired so the next day I opened the sunshade all the way and sprayed the tracks with silicione spray and voila it works perfect now. Only a dry lube could work with all the airborne sand and grit here in florida. On inspection my old sunshade had a lot of sun damage plus one of my grandsons had put crackers in one of the tracks. Anyways glad its done $170 and six hours of my time versus 4 figures at the dealer is a win in my book. The tracks are heavy aluminum and the electrical hardware looks pretty stout I think the dealers try to replace all the parts because of the $$ markup on parts same as with the moisture in the headlights. They know that most owners can't do this so they run up the charges. Happy New Year!

·
Registered
2011 SRX
5 Posts
can anyone tell me what the part # is for the sunshade ??? ( 2011 SRX premium) Mine is falling down. If it comes down, The car will be undriveable in the Florida sun.

·
Registered
2011 SRX
5 Posts
WELL......I just finished replacing the sun shade. Started yesterday afternoon, finished up this morning. WHAT A PAIN IN THE ARSS.!!!!

Next time, I'll get a 12 pack of beer and watch someone else do it !!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
So I just completed this project myself. Wanted to add that it wasn't quite as bad as I thought it would be. I have never done a project of this sort before and I was pretty worried that I would not be able to do it. What made it worse was I couldn't find a youtube video of anyone replacing their sunshade. So I just wanted to add a few tips and things that helped me through the project. Probably the biggest struggle is figuring out how each clip releases. For the record mine is a 2012 Cadillac SRX.

Follow kwells1148 suggestion above and only remove attachments to headliner from the driver side door on back. You can skip removing the ceiling console and the sun visors and still have adequate room. Your goal is to drop the headliner down enough to get access to the sunshade cartridge - not remove the headliner completely.

OP's tool list is right on. I found a paint can pry tool was perfect for prying the cover over the screws on the roof handles.

I found OP's description of removing the sunshade and then reinstalling the sunshade a bit confusing. Probably this is just me but I'll try to go over that process briefly to clarify for anyone confused like I was. I apologize for my poor technical terms here.

1. Once the headliner is down enough (I found 6 inches clearance to be adequate), you you can remove the metal bracket that holds the sunshade cartridge roll. This is as OP describes. 2 torx screws on the front of it and 3 on the back. Pretty easy to find. Once these are out the cartridge roll and the bracket can be pulled out. Or you can remove the sunshade from the leading edge stiffener/rod first. The rod is held in place by two black metal clips on either side. Behind these clips should be two white plastic clips which hold the cloth lining in the side channels. The black metal clips can be released by inserting a pry tool/small flathead screwdriver between the top of the stiffener/rod and the top of the black clip. By lifting up on the metal clip the rod can be pulled forward and out of the clip. The white plastic clip will continue to hold the cloth in place. To get this released it has to slide away from the black clip. The problem is that doing this broke my clip. The good news is that your OEM sunshade should have replacement clips in them. To release the white clip which is in a sort of C shape and slides and then locks over the black clip you have to pry up on the upper arm of the white clip and then pull back on it. Again... this broke mine but no big deal. You should be able to pull the sunshade roll completely out now on its metal bracket. Removing it from the bracket is as simple as removing one screw on one end and releasing a clip on the other end.

2. To replace the sunshade I unrolled a working amount of shade (OP said 10 turns - I think I did a bit less and it worked fine. Ten turns probably would have worked too). Then I clipped and screwed the sunshade into the metal bracket. Next I set the bracket back above the headliner. I didn't screw it back in yet but probably could have. This was mentioned well above but note that there is a pin that you pull when you are ready to release the spring and put tension on the sunshade. You want to wait to do this until you have the sunshade rod/bracket secured in the black metal clips. To secure it first take your new white plastic clips and insert the bottom flange in the nice little sewn in pocket at the front of the sunshade, near the rod. You hopefully took note of how they looked before you removed them the first time. Then you go to the back of the channel that the cloth rides in and deeply insert the flange with the cloth in that channel and then slide it up to your black metal clip. Note that the black clip sits wherever your sunshade is set to. I found the best spot was fully retracted for reinstall. Also note that as you are sliding your white plastic clip towards the black one that the sunshade cloth should stay firmly seated in the back of the channel for the full length. If it is slipping out at any point then you didn't insert deeply enough and you need to pull the white clip back and try again. Once you get up to the black clip the white clip just slides over and locks in. Do this on the other side. It's a little harder due to tension here. Just make sure your black clips are all the way back (sunshade is in fully retracted position) and it'll be easier. (Here is where I realized that the sunshade was pulling out of the channel after I had clipped the white clip in. I was sweating while I pried the white clip back off to fix this and hoping it wouldn't break. It didn't - since it's new and not brittle old plastic.) . Once you have the cloth in the channel and both white clips locked into the black metal clips it's a piece of cake. You just roll the front rod/bracket 180 degrees so that the cloth is wrapped around the front and pop it into the front of the black metal clip. This part is pretty obvious. Then... pull the pin to release tension on your roll. I did this before screwing the roll/metal bracket it's on into place. Maybe it's better to wait? Or maybe you can't reach it? I don't know. It worked fine for me. Pulled the pin and the tension was there but it didn't try to pull the roll out of the headliner. I tested it a bit back and forth. Once I realized it worked, I screwed the roll back in.

All that's left is putting the headliner back up.

Anyways... hope that helps some nontechnical people like me. Best of luck. Worked great. Saved a gazillion dollars doing it myself and am very happy with the results.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts