Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,038 Posts
Re: Water Pump Bolts!

Which bolts are they?

I have never had water pump bolts break off on me when doing that job.
As long as your tools have a really positive grip on the fasteners they should come out fine. When they break it's usually because the wrong tool is being used, or a worn out one.
Either way, if it's leaking it kind of has to come off... so....

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,038 Posts
There are a couple of tricks I'll mention here but you have to be very careful if you follow them.

First, if you take the 4 nuts off the two powertrain mounts on the right side and get a nice 2X4 about a foot long, put a jack under the oil pan and the trans with the board on top (so you don't dent the pans) you can raise up the right side of the powertrain and it makes it a WHOLE LOT easier.
Next, usually if you loosen the pump pulley bolts before you take off the serpentine belt it works pretty good.

Also as I mentioned in the other topic you started, just loosen them. If they are going to break they are going to break. Make sure you are using a quality tool. 6 point sockets work better than 12 point because the flats hold the bolt better and won't round the heads as easily.

Finally remember when you reassemble the pump that there is a housing behind the front engine plate than can move. You might need a small screwdriver or a punch to align the rear cover with the water pump when you reinstall the 10mm screws. This is at the forward most part of the pump.
Don't tighten any of the bolts until you get them all installed.

Good luck.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.