Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
did this a couple months ago - if you're inclined to replace it yourself here ya go.

1) drain the coolant
2) remove the serpentine belt (use a 1/2" drive in the tensioner to lever the tension off the belt)
3) remove the battery
4) remove the coolant overflow tank
(you may not need to do this - but you'll thank me later if you do it now)
5) remove the bolts holding the waterpump pulley - a strap wrench really helps for this 'cause it give you something to hold onto - a small oil filter wrench will work (experience talking)
6) remove all the fasteners - there are a bunch of small nuts and bolts, a few fairly large bolts and one TORX fastener - the smaller ones were either 10 or 11 MM, the larger were 12 or 13MM - wish I could remember for ya but it's been a while. The fasteners near the firewall are a real pain to get to - you might have to resort to box wrenches rather than a rachet - I know I did.
7) remove the waterpump - I used the hub for the pulley for leverage and gently worked it back and forth / up and down until the seal was broken
8) clean off old gasket material - this is a pain towards the firewall BUT if you don't get it all you'll get a leak!
9) install new gasket and waterpump - I didn't use any gasket cement but I may have gotten lucky (or perhaps God just figured "it's raining - don't mess with him any more") - I just have an aversion to gasket cement that goes way back. I snugged the bolts going around the waterpump housing clockwise until they were all about the same torque (sensed by hand since my torque wrench wouldn't fit) - I made them snug but not tight enough to really distort the gasket.
10) re-install the pulley onto the hub - again - the strap wrench is your friend.
11) re-install the serpentine belt
12) re-install battery and overflow tank

I replaced my thermostat and radiator hoses while doing this so I wouldn't end up with a leak "down the road" or a bad thermostat "down the road" - I also flushed the cooling system to make sure that any stray gasket material got flushed out -

Fill the cooling system with great patience since it's a real pain to get all the air out of these things.

Took me maybe an hour - perhaps a bit more -

When you're putting the fasteners back into the block be careful - you're putting a threaded steel fitting into an aluminum threaded hole - so cross-threading is a real possibility - when I took the pump off I placed the fasteners in a magnetic tray in the approximate position they came off which made putting things back together a lot easier.

Best of luck - hope this helps

Steve

·
Registered
108 Posts
Re: BOLTS on water pump on 92 seville?

jamesallenus said:
:rant2:
I'm half way into changing the water pump on this BEAST! My problem is I have 3 bolts that will not break loose!.
James - I'm probably a bit late on this response - but which three? If they're the big buggers then you can probably apply quite a bit of torque without snapping them off - if they're the small ones then use caution - none of them were reverse threaded.
Best of luck

Steve

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.