Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
NONE
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The rubber strip that runs across the top of the windscreen (ie that separates the glass from the roof) started to come off so I tried gluing it down but I made a bigger mess of it than I had to begin with.

Bottom line, I need to replace it.

So I ordered a new strip but I don't want to make a mess of it again.

The old one was glued in with some sort of black sticky, stringy stuff that went soft in even warm (never mind hot!) weather and when I was travelling at high speed the soft glue couldn't hold the strip on. It doesn't strike me a Cadillac job and as I bought the car used I think maybe it has had a replacement screen in the past maybe?

So the questions are:

1) How is that strip supposed to be held in (what type of adhesive if any)
2) Do you need to remove and refit the windshield to replace it?

I'm in the UK so the regular windshield places won't have any experience of replacing one of these...

·
Registered
1994 STS "CADDYSNACK"
84 Posts
I had the same problem after replacement of the windshield on my 1994 STS. I gave up after a week of it coming loose and I called the installer back and watched him show me the fix. I have had no problems since, and I am happy. Here's what he did (10 minutes):
Basically cut a new molding piece and remove the "notch" on the back of the molding with a razor blade. He did this by cutting away the underside ridge of the molding strip lengthwise (ie., the cross-section of the molding is now L-shaped instead of C-shaped). I asked him why the hell they didn't make the molding right in the first place. He explained the problem arises from the solar glass -- it is thicker than standard glass. Therefore, the aforementioned C-section of the molding can't pinch that thickness of glass. The fix is to cut the rubber molding to fit as mentioned. Apparently aftermarket molding is to cheap to make various-sized pinching thicknesses. After dry-fitting the molding, he removed it, and layed a liberal bead of urethane adhesive (black) deep in the groove of the car (not the molding!) where the window meets the edge of the roof. Then he placed the molding in the groove and pressed/rolled it with his hands from the center toward the edges. He wiped off any excess with the razor blade and special solvent (you need the special solvent or you'll have a mess - it's probably acetone).
I understand this fix is different from the Factory Service Manual as the windshield modings are pre-installed before the winshield/screen itself, but this worked for me, made sense, and sure beats reinstalling the winshield. Bottom line: buy a razor blade and fit that sucker up nice.

·
Registered
NONE
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I really appreciate that info.

The strip fitted to the car (a 2000 STS) when I got it was smooth, ie when you look at it fitted on the car it's just a smooth piece of rubber. But the replacement from Cadillac has a ridge on the top of it, kind of like a channel, and I noticed at a car show that another STS (a 98 I think) also had a ridge in it so I suspect mine is not stock and maybe that's why it fits so bad.

Do you think I will need to cut the factory replacement one? I guess so otherwise I'd have to have them remove the windshield to get the bottom of the "C" under the glass...

I'll call a windshield company and explain to them what to do and see how it goes...

·
Registered
Sedan de Ville, CTS
4,764 Posts
I have had to replace either the windshield seal or the rear window seal on almost every GM product that I have owned in the past 15 years. ???

CTS is under orig warranty, but I paid for others. Disappointing, but not expensive.

·
Registered
NONE
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I called the windshield company, well, a couple of them in fact, the first said they would have to supply the new strip or they wouldn't do it, the next one said they'd take a look and if they needed to remove the screen to fit it they would provide absolutely no guarantee that they wouldn't break the screen in doing so and if they did I'd have to pay for a new one (I didn't even ask how much a new screen was seeing as how a friend was quoted £1,300, that's over $2,500 for a new windscreen for his 93 Camaro).

So I rang my nearest Cadillac dealer, which is in Mayfair in West London (about the richest place in London) and they were sympathetic and said they could send a truck to collect the car and they would fit the replacement and truck the car back to me. They felt the screen has to come out. The cost of that service doesn't even bear thinking about (bearing in mind that they charge $550 for a replacement door mirror glass and $700 for a new fuel pump, and that's just to supply the part!)

So I'm gonna go to the windshield replacement place tomorrow morning and tell them to cut the lower part of the C profile off and just glue the thing down with the proper adhesive...

If I run into problems again though I'll have to take it to Cadillac and swallow the bill...

The problem here is that Cadillac were only in the UK between 1998 and 2002 and the luxury dealership chain that sold them was called H.R. Owen but when sales flopped they dropped the franchise and sold off the spares inventory.
When Cadillac came back to the UK in about 2006 or so the franchise was awarded to another luxury dealership chain called Stratstone. So they only deal with the BLS, CTS, XLR and Escalade. However they are able to contact Cadillac head office of course and order parts for an Cadillac. So they're trying to be helpful (at my cost) by dealing with a model of car they've never even seen.

·
Registered
NONE
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I took it to the windshield place and they took one look at it and pointed out that the car has had a replacement screen at some point in its life.

They also said my gluing down the damaged strip with 2 pack was going to cause them problems in repairing the job.

I showed them the replacement strip from Cadillac and they said they couldn't fit that without removing the screen which is not a risk I was prepared to take. They also said they couldn't cut the bottom of the replacement strip off and glue it down as the strip has a piece of metal running all the way through...

So they used another "universal" strip which contains no metal, cut the bottom off that and glued it down with the correct adhesive. They had several universal strips available, and they used the beefiest one they had.
Due to some lumps and bumps underneath due to my gluing efforts it doesn't quite seal properly in a couple of places, but it's *loads* better than the old one and only cost me $40.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts