Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Eldorado
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone.

Just bought a 2000 Seville STS 102k mi., and the heat won't work, ac works fine..
Recently replaced radiator (heat wasn't working before radiator replacement... reason: water pump belt snapped)..
If the temp dial is on max heat and you turn the vehicle on, with A/C off (at operating temp), you feel a surge of max heat come
out of the vents for just a second or two, then all you feel is what seems like ambient temp air.
Both heater core hoses get hot, already tried several calibration procedures to no avail. It's not a case of one vent blowing cold, or warm and another vent blowing
the opposite, it seems like the blend door is either stuck on cool or needs to be calibrated. The vehicle doesn't overheat at all, so I don't think there's air in the system.

How shall I proceed? Does anyone have exact instructions from the shop manual on how to replace the blend door actuator
that would solve this specific problem? (Assuming I described the problem clearly..)

Thanks in advance .. :)

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,551 Posts
Look through the Tech Tips forum.

Google something like "cadillac forums 2000 seville hvac blend actuator replacement".

Exact instructions from the service manual would cover several pages of text and about 8 diagrams/line drawings.

You might consider a multi-year subscription for the car to www.alldatadiy.com - it's the GM service manuals plus a LOT more - right on your PC.

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,293 Posts
Hey everyone.

Just bought a 2000 Seville STS 102k mi., and the heat won't work, ac works fine..
Recently replaced radiator (heat wasn't working before radiator replacement... reason: water pump belt snapped)..
If the temp dial is on max heat and you turn the vehicle on, with A/C off (at operating temp), you feel a surge of max heat come
out of the vents for just a second or two, then all you feel is what seems like ambient temp air.
Both heater core hoses get hot, already tried several calibration procedures to no avail. It's not a case of one vent blowing cold, or warm and another vent blowing
the opposite, it seems like the blend door is either stuck on cool or needs to be calibrated. The vehicle doesn't overheat at all, so I don't think there's air in the system.

How shall I proceed? Does anyone have exact instructions from the shop manual on how to replace the blend door actuator
that would solve this specific problem? (Assuming I described the problem clearly..)

Thanks in advance .. :)
===========================
you really need to diagnose the problem before deciding on a fix -

check for Diagnostic Trouble Codes -
if you don't know how - go here and read the ENTIRE post -

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-deville-1985-2005-including-1985/138257-how-pull-codes-dtcs.html

if you have any codes - post them here -
ALONG WITH THEIR DEFINITIONS -

-------------------------

·
Registered
1999 Eldorado
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you kindly for the quick replies. Sub, i'm reselling the vehicle, so not interested in alldata for multiple years, googled several variations of the phrase you mentioned to no avail, also tried youtube, no luck. Bass, I tried that procedure for reading the codes, mine has the temp dials, tried the suggested method, didn't display codes anywhere. This is why I'm wondering if anyone has done this or knows where I can have a look @ the shop manual. Really, all I need to know is where to look for the actuator that would allow hot air to enter the vents.

·
19,293 Posts
Thank you kindly for the quick replies. Sub, i'm reselling the vehicle, so not interested in alldata for multiple years, googled several variations of the phrase you mentioned to no avail, also tried youtube, no luck. Bass, I tried that procedure for reading the codes, mine has the temp dials, tried the suggested method, didn't display codes anywhere. This is why I'm wondering if anyone has done this or knows where I can have a look @ the shop manual. Really, all I need to know is where to look for the actuator that would allow hot air to enter the vents.
============================
I tried that procedure for reading the codes,
mine has the temp dials,
tried the suggested method, didn't display codes anywhere.

OK - now don't take this the wrong way - but -
if you can't follow the directions to pull codes -

at the SAME TIME - press and HOLD the "Info ^" and OFF buttons

you might want to reconsider ripping into the dash -

·
Administrator
68,551 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Eldorado
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
thank you bass and sub.. u both nailed it. I was holding down the off button as in the temp dials in the off position lol
sub, i couldn't find it for a 2000 seville sts (or any indication that the replacement (and calibration) procedures and actuator locations are identical across certain year / make / models)

okay bass.. i have current codes IPM B1340 and B1341 ... how shall i proceed?

Here are instructions for a '98 Deville, but are they the same for a 2000 Seville STS?

http://www.sparkys-answers.com/2014/08/1998-cadillac-deville-passenger-side.html

·
Registered
1998 STS
71 Posts
My sons '98 STS has similar problems. From what I can see from the parts break down, there are four of these actuators. We think the main one, (the hardest to get to), is the one that needs changing. I don't mean to 'highjack' this thread, but will be watching. I don't know if the main actuator can be replaced without pulling the entire dash, hvac unit.

·
Administrator
68,551 Posts
Here are instructions for a '98 Deville, but are they the same for a 2000 Seville STS?
The Deville has a somewhat different HVAC stack than Seville.

Please go to the main Seville/Eldorado threads page and get into the sticky post "How to pull codes". Scroll down to the 2000 and later instructions - courtesy of JimD. It's all there, including the link to all Cadillac OBD-II DTCs.

In know this is a hassle, but please always post codes with definitions: We haven't memorized all 600 or so - yet !

B 1340 and B 1341 are both air mix door faults. Either the actuator is out of sync with the knob commands or the operating arm(s) are broken. For grins and kicks, disconnect both cables at the battery. Touch the + and - caanical disassembly time.ble terminals together for 10 seconds. This discharges many module settings - you may get lucky on a reset. Otherwise, it's mechanical disassembly time.

Click on the blue link to all P, B, C, and U codes....... this link is straight out of the advised sticky.

http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/dtccode.html

·
19,293 Posts
thank you bass and sub.. u both nailed it. I was holding down the off button as in the temp dials in the off position lol
sub, i couldn't find it for a 2000 seville sts (or any indication that the replacement (and calibration) procedures and actuator locations are identical across certain year / make / models)

okay bass.. i have current codes IPM B1340 and B1341 ... how shall i proceed?

http://www.sparkys-answers.com/2014/08/1998-cadillac-deville-passenger-side.html

==========================
i have current codes IPM B1340 and B1341 ... how shall i proceed?
ALWAYS include the code DEFINITIONS when posting codes -
no one has them all memorized -

---------------

air mix door #1 is for the driver's side -
ACDELCO Part # 1572972 - $75.12 - including shipping -
http://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-15-72972-Original-Equipment-Temperature/dp/B0016IJ3Z8/ref=au_as_r?ie=UTF8&Make=Cadillac|46&Model=Seville|413&Year=2000|2000&n=15684181&newVehicle=1&s=automotive&vehicleId=1&vehicleType=automotive

or you can save a few bucks with the
DORMAN 604106 - $50 - with shipping -
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001C6Q7US/?ie=UTF8&me=A2PFC0N6H7GE7I

----------------

air mix door #2 is for the passenger's side -
ACDELCO 1572971 - $90.33 - with shipping -
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0011YHOE4/?ie=UTF8&me=ATVPDKIKX0DER

or -

DORMAN 604111 - $40 - including shipping -
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004AIHNM6/?ie=UTF8&me=A3CARMKUXAN4A4

===================

for a How-To replace them -
check the TechTips forum -
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-tech-tips-how-fix/

also check for videos in YouTube -

·
Registered
1999 Eldorado
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
bass, i cleaned both battery terminal wires and connected them for 10 secs, no dice. took the glove box out, i'm staring at an actuator called the main air inlet actuator, i don't see rods or elbows anywhere on this one. what would you do? .. once again, I have ice cold A/C, the problem is heat. already did the manual scrolling up and down through the range of temperatures in manual and auto mode and a host of other recalibration techniques through search engine queries. thanks again, everyone.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts