Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2016 XTS4, 2008 CTS4, 1996 Eldorado ETC
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi All.
Recently joined this forum. I just picked up a 1996 Eldorado ETC. Pretty good shape with 130K on it. Engine and drivetrain seem in great condition.
Been fixing up a few items on it...new power antenna, replacing power mirror switch, replaced cracked tail light, replacing foggy/soggy front corner marker light assembly, added homelink, correctly remounted rain sensor on windsheild, new floor mats, new front sway bar links, replacing rear shocks with Strutmaster shock conversion kit. Found Wheelskins leather steering wheel cover in "Sand" color to be a perfect fit and match.
I have a few more little things to work on and one minor one I would like to ask about.
The defrost vent grill is loose on the dash pad and will not snap back into place because the dash pad is warped by the vent. The vent is undamaged. What have others done to secure it back other than trying to find a used dash pad that is not warped?
I was thinking maybe some double stick tape?
Great forum with great help and info! :thumbsup:
Thanks!

Helmut

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
71,004 Posts
Somewhere, down in Cadillac Technical Discussion, Appearance, about 6 months ago, there were a couple of threads with fixes for just this problem.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the search tip sub.
Looks like Gorilla Glue is the best way to go. Only caveat is it will make the vent a permanent part of the dash.
Will go with this method.

·
Registered
'03 STS 122K, '01 STS 161K - 3/3/11
671 Posts
If you really want to fix it correctly, you have to pull the dash pad off. Its been done, with good results, but it is a lot of work.

·
Registered
1996 Cadillac Seville STS, 1998 Cadillac Deville (Base)
224 Posts
I was able to use a utility knife to cut off the tabs that the vent rests on, and now it sits lower and is held in place by pressure. If you try this, just be cautious around the sensor wires.

·
Registered
1997 Cadillac STS (BOSE w/AUX In, Massage Seats, URPAS, "Z")
6,405 Posts
Along the edge of the defrost vent about every 4 inches apart you will se some tabs witch suppose to “byte” into the dash pad cover and lock it intro position.
Well, the problem is the due to temperature variation over the 12 years in your car’s life the dash pad material is shrinking pulling the opening for the vent (thus the opening gets larger) so your defrost vent will be loose. Along with this the material (glued over a foam glued on a plastic substrate) peals off here and there and the edge around the vent opening start warping. As a result not only that your vent opening is enlarging and the vent grille become loose, also the warping pulls it up.
So how to repair…
First you have to stop the warping (if you have some). That is achieved with staples like shaped wire (say … the thickens of a paper clip – in fact you can use the actual wire from a paper clip). Drill very small holes through the dash pad on the edge where the vent grille sits and then use these staples to secure the material on the substrate (thus stop the warping). Then using thicker solid wire (something like 2-mm diameter) make some more of these staples slightly larger than the tabs around the vent grille edge (as many staples as the grille has tabs around the edge). Cut the staples ends about 1/4 inch long and using a torch (or what ever heat source you have handy) heat up these staples (one by one) and while hot insert-it into the plastic in such a way to go over that tab (dress it up). The idea is to extend the tabs so they can “byte” into the edge of the vent port. Using cold water cool down the hot wire once inserted into the vent grille to lock in place (and solidify the plastic). You will never see any difference, and will buy up another 1-2 years (because you can’t stop the shrinkage).

Or you can buy a new dash pad cover at the price of ~$1150 (at least here in Canada).

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was able to use a utility knife to cut off the tabs that the vent rests on, and now it sits lower and is held in place by pressure. If you try this, just be cautious around the sensor wires.
Thanks N*Caddy. Sounds like a bit of work but a good solution.

Thanks for the tip Netjive8.
And in response to your private message since it seems I can not post private messages yet...
Actually I obtained a used replacement power mirror swtich today that was supposedly tested as being good. I assumed it would fix the problem because both mirrors had the same problem, no right motor movement. Unfortunately, like you, the replacement switch did not fix the problem. Guess that is what happens when you assume!
I have the service manual and will probably trouble shoot it some more this weekend and also make sure the switches are good. I'll post back if I find the solution.
Helmut

M

·
0 Posts
Helmutk...thanks for your post. You described my 1999 Eldorado perfectly! Alot of great info. Extending the tabs on that vent seems the way to go. My mirrors do the same thing. I assumed it was the switch too as the memory will still move them in the direction that the switch will not. Now not so sure it is the switch, maybe something else? If you solve it would love to hear. Im really happy with my caddy, in great shape and worth keeping it right. Also enjoyed the info on rear shock kit(Strutmaster shock conversion kit.) . Why that choice? Thanks everyone! Nice having a place to get the answers!!!

----------

Also guys. Any advice on the little sensors in the vent? I wanted to remove it and paint it before I modify it to fit the expanding hole. Anyone know how the sensors come out? Are they trouble or not? Thanks!!!

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
71,004 Posts
The OP has been gone for 3.5 years. You might try looking through the pages of Cadillac Tech Tips down in Discussions.............

Welcome Aboard !!! :welcome:

M

·
0 Posts
Yes the vent, ha ha. (not painting sensors) do the sensors pop out easily? I see 2 of some kind. A black ball and another small one on the left of the black one cant see that well. Will take a better look. Also what do you mean the OP has been gone 3.5 years? dont understand.

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,543 Posts
The sensors should just are a simple twist lock. Once the grill is removed, just turn the sensors 90 degrees and remove them. The "ball" sensor is the sun load sensor. The flat one is the photo cell (light sensor).

Also what do you mean the OP has been gone 3.5 years? dont understand.
OP usually means (Original Poster), but in this case the OP has logged in as recently as 1/19/13. I suspect Sub meant that the original post was 3.5 years old.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts