Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3.6L ~Black Mamba~
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am installing Silverstars but I am having the hardest time removing the stock bulbs. I am installing thru the engine bay and I cannot find the link to the write that has how to remove the bulbs. I have the caps off the driver side and I don't understand how to remove the bulbs. On the fogs I just turned counter or clockwise..Do I turn counter-clockwise, clockwise, pull out, I see a couple of phillips screws, etc. Please help! I'm in the middle of it all now. Thanks.

·
Registered
2006 CTS 3.6L
89 Posts
are you going to have fun....... really the only way to replace head light in the CTS is to remove the entire front end. The whole front grill and bumper cover...... I'll shoot you the link....

·
Registered
3.6L ~Black Mamba~
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How did you remove the stock bulbs? Do I turn them or do I have to remove any other screws for the bulbs to come out? I have full access to the bulbs and my hands will fit to turn them, I just cannot figure how to get them out. Do they turn like the fogs do?

·
Registered
2006 CTS 2.8L
2,471 Posts
I had to use a pair of pliers to twist my bulbs. Sometimes they are hard to turn.

·
Registered
CTS 03
1,765 Posts
Have someone with small hands reach in there, or try the plyers idea. (They sell plastic plyers for that application)
BTW, you'll be pretty disapointed with the silverstars. It's like putting sun glasses on a light bulb. The overall amount of light that hits the road is less then the stock bulbs. For around $50 you can find HID kits on e-bay. You'll get twice as much light. (get 6000k) good luck.

·
Registered
3.6L ~Black Mamba~
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the advice. I replaced the drivers side lows and highs with no problem. I cannot understand how to remove the fuse box. I removed the two screws, and I see the other way down there. Once I remove that one, can I just slide the box out of the way and then get to the passengers? Do I have to remove any cables or the whole top part of the fuse panel? Thanks guys!

·
Registered
CTS 03
1,765 Posts
Remove the one at the bottom (I threw mine away). Once you do that, you can lift it enough to get your hand in there and change the bulb. Just take your time and be careful don't drop a screw on the wrong place.

·
Registered
Cts 3.2
15 Posts
I try this weekend just to see if i could do the lights with out taking the BUMPER OFF, and yes I can, they way to do it, is take the Airbox out, on the driver side then remove the Cover close to the wall of the car the one that has the air intake hole for the air box, after that you can reach and remove the covers, you will need a T-9 Torx driver in order to loosen the 2 screws in order to loose NOT REMOVE, the tension of the light bulbs braket.

on the other side just take the bolts off from the Fuse box move it to the side as far as possible, then do the same remove the caps and use the t-9 loose the screws and twist and remvo the bulbs, for the one at the bottom just remove the cover reach with your hands and remove the little bulb, there is not screws to release there.

Recap, remove both boxes from either side, Airbox + the air box intake on the wall, passenger remove bolts and move the fuse box to the side.

tools, a T-9 Torx, screw driver is needed in order to release the 2 screws holding the brakets, twist and remove the bulbs.

·
Registered
CTS 03
1,765 Posts
I have the 03, it did not have the brackets holding the bulb. Mine were "turn and remove" style. Let us know how you like the Silverstars.

Now that you know how to do the job, a HID upgrade may be in your future as well as clear fogs and a HID upgrade for the fogs.........

·
Registered
3.6L ~Black Mamba~
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you very much for all the great info. Once I realized how the stock bulbs turn and then get removed out, it was a breeze.

·
Registered
3.6L ~Black Mamba~
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Sammy, your information was invaluable. I am liking the Silverstars especially compared to the stock bulbs. The stockers were almost blown and they were so yellow and horrible, it was embarrassing. I installed Silverstars in my Lexan fogs/drl and now everything matches except the triangle lights. I have some led's for those coming in, too. I will be installing a HID system sometime in the near future, but I have to get wheels first. lol.. Thanks again guys for all the great information on this fairly easy change out! I hope you all had a great 4:20!!

·
Registered
2006 CTS 3.6L
89 Posts
I tried the Silverstars also, they did look better but It took a week or two of drive before I decided to go for the HID's, they look killer.................

I tried removing the Airbox and moving the fuse box way but with my big old hands I couldn't quite do it.... I got taking the bumper off to a art, It actually takes less time than the other way........
Just a heads up, you can put the T10's in pretty easy by going threw the wheel well and removing the bottom cap, it's a little bit of a reach but pretty easy.
A really big heads up on the T10's, don't go cheap, I got a set of 6/led T10's and they started going out a week after installing, I switched to this guy and have had really good luck http://stores.shop.ebay.com/MotoringMax__W0QQ_armrsZ1

Cheers

·
Registered
2006 CTS 2.8L
2,471 Posts
I tried the Silverstars also, they did look better but It took a week or two of drive before I decided to go for the HID's, they look killer.................
I love laughing at idiots with Silverstar's thinking they look good, ahahaha....

·
Registered
Cadillac
35 Posts
There are 3 screws that hold that low beam bulb...I tried to do it without removing the bumper and I gave up. The easiest way to do it is to remove the bumper...its not that hard follow the link that was posted.

Also, buy some HID's and put them in...look so so nice.

·
Registered
3.6L ~Black Mamba~
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the advice, I will be installing HID's lamps sometime soon in the near future! However, it was a breeze to install the bulbs thru the engine bay. I cannot imagine removing the whole bumper just to swap out the bulbs. Even though that's not that hard, just time consuming. I would say that if you have large hands then it would be a little difficult. I used a small pair of pliers to turn the bulbs out. I did not have to remove/loosen any torq screws on the bulb socket itself, it just turned. It took me 15 minutes to do the passenger side and about 20 minutes to do the driver's side. Thanks again all!!

·
Registered
2006 CTS 2.8L
2,471 Posts
I can do the bumper removal and bulb swap in the time it takes you to do it from the engine bay (15+20mins).

Okay, so I'm an expert at it now. Hehe..

·
Registered
2007 Cadillac CTS 3.6L Black, LOADED
2,424 Posts
I can do the bumper removal and bulb swap in the time it takes you to do it from the engine bay (15+20mins).

Okay, so I'm an expert at it now. Hehe..
Well, I have taken my bumper off about 6 times, never really fun. My driver side HID lowbeam is acting weird and does not fire up if it is hot. I have some new bulbs and I will be trying to just go through the engine bay to get at it.

As a matter of fact, Im gonna go out there right now and do it. Ill let u know how it goes.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts