Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to replace the A/C compressor in my '96 STS. I've read the posts on how to do this, and am trying to remove the oil filter adapter to get to the back of the compressor. I can remove one bolt and two oil lines but cannot find the second (upper I presume) bolt. Without removing the oil filter adapter, accessing the bolts on the rear of the compressor appears nearly impossible. Can anyone advise on how best to find and remove the bolts on the oil filter adapter? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
94 Eldorado, and a 99 ETC
3,887 Posts
There should only be 1 bolt on the rear of the compressor. It's holding the 2 A/C lines to the compressor. You should be able to get that bolt out by removing the oil filter. There's no need to remove the whole adapter. The mounting for the compressor is on the front of the compressor (2 bolts and 1 nut).

·
Registered
04 Deville, 11 DTS Premium, 00 Deville (sold), 02 Deville (sold)
2,688 Posts
This picture should help you locate the other 10mm bolt. You might want to replace the 2 o-rings between the adapter and block or you might end up with a leak.

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Got it. Thanks. Salvage A/C compressor is in and now all I need to do is reinstall the oil filter adapter. I'll follow you tip on replacing O rings.

I would recommend removing the oil filter adapter to remove the compressor. Its still a pain, but has to be easier than just removing the filter itself. I also removed the passenger side fan to help with a little more room for manipulating a wrench and getting space for some light to see better.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
71,024 Posts
The GM Service Manual recommends replacing the threaded oil line quick-connects at the filter adapter.

·
Registered
94 Seville; 95 FWB; 07 DTS
657 Posts
I was about to start a thread conerning this oil filter adapter too. Anyway, the car is leaking oil, so I decided I'd take care of whatever I could get to. So I went about replacing the O rings at the oil filter adapter.

This is when I seen it. A U shaped piece of aluminium pipe that was screwed into each port. It's like it was capped off??? Isn't that odd? I expected to individual lines one from each port. Anyone has any idea of what is happening there?

·
Administrator
71,024 Posts
Either your car originally had an oil cooler in the passenger side radiator tank, it leaked and someone bypassed the cooler, or you never had an oil cooler in the first place. Check your GM Factory Service Manual.

·
Registered
94 Seville; 95 FWB; 07 DTS
657 Posts
well according to the FSM...one of the steps to remove the oil filter adater..."disconnect oil cooler lines at OFA." So I am assuming there once was oil cooler lines.

·
Registered
1976 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham and 1996 DeVille
121 Posts

·
Administrator
71,024 Posts
Someone with a 1996 Deville fitted with the optional HD cooling system - V03 - and engine oil cooler will have to chime in. That option was included in the (optional) trailer towing package, otherwise it was ordered by the original buyer who assembled the car out of the "black book" and waited 6 - 10 weeks for delivery. V03 was not a standard option included in a Deville or even a VIN 9 Deville (300 hp option).

The one listed for your engine has nylon lock clips - the later ones use a steel circlip to retain the shoulder on the steel cooler lines.

The reason for replacement recommendation is connector internal O-ring leaks.

Look on your RPO sticker under the spare tire cover - if code V03 is not there, the car doesn't have an engine oil cooler in the passenger side radiator end tank. It DOES have a transmission fluid cooler in the driver's end tank. If your deville was originally built for Export it may well have the cooler option. Many SLS for Export came that way.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts