Cadillac Owners Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys!

Does anybody know how to remove the headliner from a 2013 CTS Coupe? I want to install a fiber optic star ceiling on it, and need some pointers on how to physically get that thing out. I've done some research but haven't had any luck thus far.

Let me know!

· Registered
68 DVC, 96 FLTWD Brgm, 11 CTS Premium (two)
1,888 Posts
Remind me to stay off the road while you are driving around and looking up at your star ceiling. :stirpot:

That's what the sunroof is supposed to be for, or better yet a convertible.

· Registered
2014 CTS Coupe Premium
167 Posts
I've seen this mod on YouTube a few times, it's a nice touch when applied tastefully. I'm not sure of how to remove the headliner, but I'd caution you to not poke the fiber optic wires through the outer material. Instead, allow it to shine through the material right below the surface. The impact will be the same at nighttime, and your headliner won't have a permanent 5 o'clock shadow during the day. Bonus points if it's dimmable and controlled with the interior lights.

Please post a recap when you get it done, and good luck.

Remind me to stay off the road while you are driving around and looking up at your star ceiling. :stirpot: That's what the sunroof is supposed to be for, or better yet a convertible.
lol calm down, its ambient lighting--like the effect running along the wood trim, but more functional. I'd prefer this to the footwell lighting most seem to do--who wants to look at their feet all night?

· Registered
68 DVC, 96 FLTWD Brgm, 11 CTS Premium (two)
1,888 Posts
ragordy said:
lol calm down, its ambient lighting--like the effect running along the wood trim, but more functional. I'd prefer this to the footwell lighting most seem to do--who wants to look at their feet all night?
How many times do you you drop your phone or something else and it falls on the roof?

· Registered
2014 CTS Coupe Premium
167 Posts
Ambient lighting, not task lighting--locating the occasional dropped item is what map lights are for.

I watched a video about this install yesterday. A very daunting task, definitely a labor of love.

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've seen this mod on YouTube a few times, it's a nice touch when applied tastefully. I'm not sure of how to remove the headliner, but I'd caution you to not poke the fiber optic wires through the outer material. Instead, allow it to shine through the material right below the surface. The impact will be the same at nighttime, and your headliner won't have a permanent 5 o'clock shadow during the day. Bonus points if it's dimmable and controlled with the interior lights.

Please post a recap when you get it done, and good luck.

So the videos I've seen for this (which is a bunch) have all poked the fiber optic cables through the actual headliner. Which includes even a Rolls Royce factory installing them too where the puncture the headliner. I don't think it will be too noticeable during the daytime as I will probably always have them on and the interior and headliner is black. The problem I currently have is removing the headliner itself! No one has any insight on how to remove them from a CTS Coupe

· Registered
2012 OBM Premium RWD Coupe, Touring package
103 Posts
Same as any other car, it's held on by all the surrounding trim pieces.
Sun visors, dome light units, A B C pillar trims, etc all have to come off first. Then it can be persuaded out through the passenger front door.

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Same as any other car, it's held on by all the surrounding trim pieces.
Sun visors, dome light units, A B C pillar trims, etc all have to come off first. Then it can be persuaded out through the passenger front door.
Yeah I know that much but the thing is with the coupe, there is literally nowhere to take the headliner out of. Can't do it through the back and it wouldn't fit through the doors.

· Super Moderator
Go ahead, blame me. Everybody does 🙄
18,620 Posts
As romanster states, it needs to be "persuaded" out of the passenger side door.

· Registered
2012 OBM Premium RWD Coupe, Touring package
103 Posts
For my Saturn Astra 2-door hatch, I took it out for black fabric reupholstering instead of the stock grey. The service manual stated:

Step 1: Remove windshield
Step 2: etc

No thanks. I was able to get it out through the passenger front door, after reclining the seats, lowering the door windows, and unbolting the door latch to let it open juuust a bit more. Went back in the same way, some minor curving to fit it through the door opening, but it's bendy and bounced back fine with no creases.

Anywho, the passenger door is the way for Coupe and Sedan. Wagon headliner comes out through the liftgate. Service manual says it's also glued to the roof metal with a few long beads of adhesive that must be cut, and then reapplied. Tips above still apply.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.