Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
'02 Eldorado ETC 85k miles / Past: '03 Deville; '02 STS
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I slid into a ditch this morning and got stuck, by the time we were able to pull the car out, about 6 inches of water was in the passenger front and rear floor boards. I tried vacuuming out the water and most of it came up, however I'm afraid of the 'mildew' smell might come in a few days. So I have two questions. 1.) How do you remove the carpet. I know you have to remove the seats, but I can't seem to find any bolts in the seat rail. Do I have to remove the center console and back seat? 2.) If I decide to let it air dry, how long will the smell last? A few days? A week? Can I just air dry and then go back with a shampoo? Thanks again guys!

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,535 Posts
Hi all, I slid into a ditch this morning and got stuck, by the time we were able to pull the car out, about 6 inches of water was in the passenger front and rear floor boards. I tried vacuuming out the water and most of it came up, however I'm afraid of the 'mildew' smell might come in a few days. So I have two questions. 1.) How do you remove the carpet. I know you have to remove the seats, but I can't seem to find any bolts in the seat rail. Do I have to remove the center console and back seat? 2.) If I decide to let it air dry, how long will the smell last? A few days? A week? Can I just air dry and then go back with a shampoo? Thanks again guys!
-------------------------
the carpet is foam backed - and sucks/holds water like a sponge -
the ONLY way to dry it out is to remove it -

I'm not positive on the Eldo -
but usually you move the seat forward -
and remove the bolts at the back-end of the track -

the front either has tabs -
and you lift the back up to release -
or bolts -

once you remove the front seats -
you will see how much water is there -
then you can decide if you need to remove the rear -

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay, thanks Bass. Does the carpet also go underneath the center console? I know in the Deville it did, but not sure about the Eldo. Any idea on how to remove it? I'm just trying to get as prepared as possible so that I dont accidently snap those plastic clips and what not.

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,323 Posts
Yes, the carpet goes under the center console. Can't give you any specifics on an Eldo, but usually some fasteners are visible once the seats are removed,band some are inside the console itself.

The door sill and pillar trim will have to be removed as well.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks moist. I got the seats/console/carpet out finally. Seats were a piece of cake, as were the door seals and plastic guards. The console on the other hand was a PITA. Found a post on ask.com and ehow.com, very confusing instructions so I set them aside. Turns out you have to remove the stereo, ac module, and info switchs, then the shifter, then the wood trim around the shifter, then remove the console storage box (under the armrest) about 50 connections inside of the thing that you have to undue. Turns out the carpeted sides of the console are one piece with the console (found that out by prying -and consequently breaking- them). Turns out there are only two modules under the carpet in the Eldo -the airbag module is underneath the driver seat and a yaw rate sensor is under the passenger seat. Both have rubber grommets inside of the connectors, but I went ahead and sprayed every wire, connector, and motor with electrical dryer/cleaner spray. The front and rear -only two peices- carpet (and their adjoining foam) are currently hanging over the balcony railing draining and drying with the aid of a household 36" fan. I'll give it a couple days for them to completely dry up. Pulled the seats and everything inside the house and decided to give them a good scrub since every angle is ridiculously easy to access with them out of the car. Went ahead and turned them upside down and went wild with the electric spray on all the seat motors and connectors under the seat pad. Then I went back outside and gave the sheet metal floor plans a good rub down and dried all the wiring harnesses. Took the passenger door panel off and made sure all the water had drained out of there (again went crazy with the electrical dryer). Now my body aches, and I'm tired. Haha. The outside of the car still looks as if I pulled it out of the bottom of the river bed, but a good powerwasher and soap will cure all that.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That was a pretty interesting video. Thanks! I've pretty much already done everything he did, and thankfully the water wasn't deep enough to enter the motor or transmission. I got really lucky this time around and am super thankful I know how to repair things like this. It would have sucked to be the average joe and have to call my insurance and have them total it out. For something as simple as letting the car dry out.... Ellie gets to live another day, and I will no longer be taking her out to the ranch. Because by all means, I might just get caught in a flash flood and slide off the muddy road into a ditch.. :(

1 - 7 of 7 Posts