Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 98 DeVille with 160k AC is not cool enough in summer days. Actually it caused engine overheat. Bought refill from Walmart. It hooked to the port fine, but freon won't go in. Any suggestion? Thanks in advance.
Kevin

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,969 Posts
When the system gets low enough to send the LOW REFRIGERANT message, it also sets a DTC which will disable the compressor to save it from self distruction. You have to enter the onboard diagnostics and clear the DTC's. That will enable the compressor.

BTW, low refrigerant will cause lack of cabin cooling, but has no affect on engine cooling. If your engine overheated, something else is amiss.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you very much. The coolant was a little low as well the other day which caused engine overheating on top of using the AC in a long drive. I have not seen LOW REFRIGERANT message yet, but it does not cool well. Do I have to wait for the message? Kevin

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,969 Posts
Have you flushed the bugs & dirt out of the condenser? I would not just arbitrarily add refrigerant unless you check it with a set of gauges.

If you were low on coolant, you have a leak somewhere.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts