Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
cts v 2009
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, was just curious to know if anyone is thinking to reduce the weight of their V2, is there a way to reduce some lbs. The m5 is pretty much lighter than our cars, so if our car has that kind of weight, it would be awesome.

any ideas...??

·
Registered
Cadillac
22 Posts
Hi guys, was just curious to know if anyone is thinking to reduce the weight of their V2, is there a way to reduce some lbs. The m5 is pretty much lighter than our cars, so if our car has that kind of weight, it would be awesome.

any ideas...??
Depends how far you want to go with the weight reduction process, I would start off that you SHOULDN'T have ordered a V2 with the ultra sunroof if weight was a concern of yours, however a good question here would be, why would you want to reduce weight anyway ? Do you track your car usually ? or is it to shave off those couple tenths of seconds of the 1/4 time ?

I would start with a nice diet !!
Ok that was a joke, I would start with a Light weight Wheels, Full titanium Exhaust system, Removing all the tools from the trunk, fibre hood/trunk, then if you want to go to the extreme remove back seats, A/C, Navigation, Speakers, ... etc

·
Registered
Cadillac
266 Posts
The above are some good suggestions - but what else can we come up with?

Reduction of rotating mass would have the largest effect so, as mentioned above wheels are a good place to start. I have read the following from another post:

Stock wheels: front 24lbs, rear 26.4lbs

What are the lightest street wheels that would fit on our V2's?

How about a Carbon Fiber Drive Shaft ($900 - $1,400)?

Ceramic Rotors (very expensive).

What else without striping the car?

·
Registered
2012 CTS-V
239 Posts
Removing all the tools from the trunk ... etc
My car didn't come with any tools. Are you speaking of something that was to have come with the car, or are you referring more generically to all the stuff that some people load into their trunks?

·
Registered
2018 CT6E, old: 2014 XTS Vsport, 2005 CTS-V, 2004 CTS-V.
2,718 Posts
? lbs each in two piece rptors. With the co-cast who knows?

Norm

·
Registered
Cadillac
22 Posts
Here in the middle east regional GM are very strict with what voids warranty (Pretty much any slight tune, even swapping the Air Filter would void it, it sucks i know) so yeah it probably would but i would suggest calling your dealer to verify, and you can always keep the original to switch it back for warranty purposes.

But IMHO, it depends on how much are you willing to spend, thus, if you want to drag race with the car and you have limited $$ I wouldn't worry about reducing weight as much as I would be spending my limited tuning budget on squeezing the HP/TQ out of the car.

In easier Language, the steps "I" would take to make my car faster in a drag race are :

Stage 1 (HP/TQ Tune):
1- ECM/PCM/TCM tune.
2- Full new lightweight high flow exhaust system with CAI (2 Birds with 1 Stone).
3- Pulleys Swap.
4- Any additional required upgrades to support the added HP/TQ, Better Cooling, Transmission Upgrade, Flywheel upgrade, Forged internal engine parts ... etc
5- Dyno the car after each Mod to make sure you are actually utilizing the installed mod.
Then if you wanted to go to the extreme you could probably switch the Supercharger with a larger one (maybe the ZR 2.3 one?) or Twin Turbo the car.

Stage 2 (Weight Reduction):
1- Light Wheels/Drive Shift
2- Carbon Fiber as many stuff as possible (where weight will actually be reduced)
3- Ceramic Brakes. (very expensive for very few pounds off)
4- Removing Any Unnecceassry accessories like A/C, Navigation system, back & Passenger Seats ... etc
5- Carbon Fiber Driver Seat.

Good question here, did you actually get a manual or an Auto ? because if your intention was to push this engine to its limit, i think you should have went with the stick as the auto wont handle high end tunes, however if you want to be pimpin with an Auto then you could probably go as much as possible with squeezing the HP/TQ without breaking the transmission and then start with the weight reduction process.

My 0.02$

·
Registered
2009 CTS-V , 2010 SRX 2.8T
3,085 Posts
A good bet would be to get some light weight 18in rims that you can utilize a wide variety of street/reg drag radials with.

·
Registered
'09 CTS-V, 3K miles & '87 Turbo Buick, 29K miles
3,435 Posts
The best way for my V2 to reduce it's weight is for the driver to drop 50lbs off his fat ass.
Art:
My azz is not fat, just everything else. About the same too, 50 lbs. I think that the alternative in my case is best for me, and that is to live with the .1-.3 seconds loss and claim a handicap from those not in the know. How about if I quit being anally retentive about keeping the gas tank full. Bad habit of mine. All of or most of the turbo Buick peeps that I know run around on fumes, they know what a gal of gas weighs. Or maybe we're all too broke to keep the tank full and don't want to cop to that.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts