Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
'95 seville sts
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 95 seville sts and I live in Ohio. I am wondering what I can use to protect my chrome wheels from salt etc. in the winter. I used some turtle wax chrome polish, but I don't think that it will protect them much. I was thinking of using my meguires gold class clear coat paste wax but I'm not sure if works good on chrome. Any ideas?

·
Registered
01 Eldo ETC, 02 Deville SOLD!
1,815 Posts
I'm sure others will chime in with equally efficacious remedies, but I've had good luck with:

1) a good cleaning of the appropriate wheel
2) Klasse All In One
3) Klasse Super Glaze

The latter two products are among the most miraculous chemical combinations since acetylsalicylic acid.

Once the wheels are protected, a good wash off once a week seems to keep them pretty clean.

·
Registered
2004 Escalade, 07 Road King, 08 Challenger SRT8
712 Posts
Keeping the salt rinsed off is a must.

Keeping them waxed will help some.

I know on a Harley, the salt will attack the chrome very quickly... most people don't ride in the winter anyway, but....

It's tough. Lots of people here (milwaukee area) have a 2nd set of wheels if they're gonna drive the car 12 months.... put the crummy ones on in winter, go back to the good wheels after a good hard rain in spring....

·
Registered
02 Seville, 04 SRX
1,341 Posts
The Klasse is a great suggestion but more so for paint. I live in Upstate NY and the Klasse stops beading by March when I apply it in late Sept. The sealant won't adhear to the chrome as well. It will slow the pitting process a bit as long as you keep them clean with water (I would avoid car wash soap becuase you don't know how harsh it is and can stip waxes and sealants).

Best thing you can do is get some old rims off eBay and go with those. Thats what I do.

·
Registered
2010 Black Cherry CTS AWD
263 Posts
I thought about buying some other rims to use during the winter months but if everyone did that, none of us would look as good during the winter, so I leave mine on and clean them regularly. I like the Mother's Chrome Polish. I did several coats of that before the cold settled in and it's still holding up really good. To clean the chrome, I use Stoner's glass cleaner, it's great on glass and chrome. Give your wheels a really good cleaning with it then do the Mother's polish. A few good coats should hold up for a while but when I get a decent day here, I clean the exterior of my car and wax and polish everything. It may take a little while but it's worth it when you know you're the only car going down the road that has the best shine and protection compared to all the other dirty ones. :cool2:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts