Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2016 CTS-V Crystal White w/ CF pkg and After Midnight wheels
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's up all? I've been researching and looking for a catch can solution for my V3 ever since I picked it up in January. GM changed the design in their PCV routing on the LT4 to return directly in the blower housing through the valley plate so the only option I was finding involved siliconeing a plug in that port from the inside. I didn't like this option as there would always be that chance that the plug would dislodge which would then run into the screws and more than likely damage internals. After some time, I got in contact with David Childress with Mighty Mouse Solutions regarding his catch can and the solution that he was developing to combat that need to plug the housing port.

Given that that the MMS can has the pcv valve built into the can, David developed a direct replacement pcv valve which blocks the blower housing port and instead directs the routing externally from the motor. I was instantly interested in this solution over anything else out there as there is no risk of causing harm to the internals of the motor and if ever needed can be put back to factory easily. David was extremely helpful and I really appreciated his patience and innovative thinking! I'll share a number of the photos and point out some of the specifics and changes needed for the V3. The job took about 2.5 hrs. from stopping to take pictures as well as taking our time to find the best routing of the hose to and from the can to make it the most factory looking as I could. Doing this again without taking all these pictures would probably take about 30-60 minutes. I ended up needing about 4 ft. of 3/8" fuel hose to get the best routing (I used fuel hose as I preferred the extra reinforcement).

Remove the front engine compartment plastic, intake airbox, strut bar, and pulley belt.

The radiator shroud bracket that MMS offers is what is needed, however it needed to be bent in towards the radiator fan to properly fit. Above are a couple photos showing the amount of bend placed and bending in the middle worked perfectly.

The above photo shows the bend with the can mounted. It also shows where the hard coolant line that feeds the intercoolers needs to be unclipped where the can is and that hole is what is used to mount the catch can bracket.

A 3-way barb fitting is needed to feed run a hose from the intake vacuum line to the catch can. I followed the hose along the intercooler coolant lines and it gave it a very nice factory look.

Remove the blower lid.

As you can see in the 2 photos above, it gets nasty under there without a catch can... This is with only 6k miles... Also, for those interested in knowing, by design the pcv port feeds into the housing directly under the butterfly valve in the 2nd picture.

Blower housing has to be lifted to access the pcv valve. Once lifted, remove the valve using a 14mm allen.

Factory PCV valve on the right, new MMS ported valve on the left. Remove the 2 O-rings from the factory valve and place them on the new ported replacement. I little oil may be needed on the seals when transferring.

Screw the ported valve in all the way to bottom it out and then back it out to get the port to face out the left side of the intake as shown above. Once lined up, screw in the 3/8" barb fitting. Its a pipe thread so probably doesn't need Teflon tape, but I put it on there for good measure.

Nice and clean before putting everything back together! I just sprayed everything down with brake cleaner and soaked it up with some shop rags.

Everything back together. All of the bolts for the blower housing and lid are 89 in lbs and you should start in the middle and spiral out to get uniform pressure. Good and tight works too though. :)

Hope this helps others if they decide to install a catch can to their V3 and anyone searching for the best option out there, definitely go with the MMS catch can solution as it is the best thing out there for the LT4 today! Here is a link to David's website... mmsolutions

·
Registered
2016 CTS-V Radiant Silver w/ After Midnight wheels & CF pkg
203 Posts
Awesome write up Slamking! I've been wondering about the CC and this definitely helps.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts