Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 1997 Cadillac Seville STS how can I left at the rear a couple of inches, some say that there is a button that I could hit..

how do I lift the rear end of a 1997 Cadillac Seville STS, I was told that there is a switch on the air compressor in the rear, could not find a switch, so how can I raise it up a couple of inches..

·
Registered
Alexandra - 96 SDV Clyde - 15 Silvy
6,357 Posts
Re: how to lift the rear end

I doubt there's a button you can use. What you could do is adjust the control sensors for the rear leveling suspension.

For future reference, post questions like these in the Seville forum. They will get answered way sooner. A mod should move it for you.

·
Registered
1997 ETC
4,915 Posts

No button..

But why are are you wanting to lift it? Is it sagging? pics please.

·
Registered
1979 Coupe deVille, 1995 Sedan DeVille (sold)
1,846 Posts

I doubt there's a button you can use. What you could do is adjust the control sensors for the rear leveling suspension.

For future reference, post questions like these in the Seville forum. They will get answered way sooner. A mod should move it for you.
Way sooner? It only took 17 minutes! :)

·
Registered
Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS
13,792 Posts

Button? Cadillacs don't need no stinkin' button! Whattaya think a Cadillac is some kind of a Citroen?

·
Registered
1997 Cadillac STS (BOSE w/AUX In, Massage Seats, URPAS, "Z")
6,405 Posts
If the rear is sagging there are 3 different reasons:
1. The ELC compressor is burned/seized
2. The ELC exhaust valve is burnt
3. The rear height sensors are gone (or the little rods are loose/bent)

1 and 2 WILL post a specific code (let me have a wild guess that you will have the Exhaust Solenoid Shorted to ground code).
3 is not so likely, but yeah sensors can get stuck (busted) and the rods can get bent. If the rods are disconnected you get the opposite effect (the rear jacks up).

So in conclusion: PULL THE CODES.

There is a bit of true about the button/switch thing, the older cars (<'93) use to have a switch to disable the ELC for service mode. Since then we have software to take care of that. Cadillac does not install buttons just to have buttons.

P.S. Sure there is a 4-th (unlikely) reason the RSS module is bad, but is like 0.1%

·
Registered
2003 STS w/BoseNav, 1993 Deville, 1985 Deville
1,089 Posts

No button..

But why are are you wanting to lift it? Is it sagging? pics please.
Inquiring minds want to know.....

Why do you want to lift it? For looks?

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
18,919 Posts
going for that late 60's - 70's muscle car look -

on a FWD Caddy - :tisk:

·
Registered
2001 SLS
32 Posts
There should be an electronic leveling control device underneath your car, by one of the rear wheels. If you really want to raise your car, you can adjust the rod/lever to do so. However with the rear end raised up 2-3 inches, it will ride unusual and almost like a pickup truck, not a caddy. I had mine jacked up 3 inches because of a malfunction. Anyways, here is an example of the electronic level control on my seville.
rsz_1img_20130421_132122.jpg

·
Registered
1997 Cadillac STS (BOSE w/AUX In, Massage Seats, URPAS, "Z")
6,405 Posts
The STS has 2 height sensors (one behind each rear wheel, parallel with the strut). SLS has only one, totally different controls between STS and SLS (SLS does not have RSS - at least most SLS). In the picture above is a '98+ SLS setup, STS it is similar, still a black box with a small arm and a rod, just that looks slightly different, placed different, and is linked to the RSS module not directly to the ELC compressor.
I would not mess with that especially if I am asking on the forum where it is, a mistake there is close to $700.
Learn how the system works here:
http://www.cadillacforums.com/cadillac-suspension.pdf

1 - 11 of 11 Posts