Cadillac Owners Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Cadillac SRX Premium
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had this growling noise that started recently, it's starts at about 30 mph and gets progressively a bit louder and higher pitch. Almost sounds like the engine is revving higher when it is not. It seems to be in the rear, no other symptoms, everything drives and handles just fine. I jacked up the back and front wheels and there is no play at all side to side or top to bottom. I took it in to the shop and they said everything was tight as well and claimed the tire had some cupping which was causing the noise. I did replace one of the rear tires a few days ago, the other rear was older, both front tires are new as well. So I went and replaced the other rear tire and the noise persists.

So the question is there a definitive way too identify a bad wheel bearing? I know the SRX has the wheel bearing sealed into the hub assembly, when they go bad do they display the typical looseness characteristics? I'd rather not have them just replacing parts without know for sure if it is a bad wheel bearing and which one it is. For reference it's a 2015 SRX with about 130,000 miles.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2011 SRX4 3.0 Engine
1,083 Posts
the way i have always done it is to jack up the up the car remove the tires on both sides and rotate the hubs, listening and feeling for any noise or crunchyness... Granted it could act different under load.and the "feeling" of the diff engaging the axle shafts .........if you suspect a bad one do both sides as they have the same amount of miles on them, its a easy DIY job for a fairly experienced wrench spinner.. whens the last time you had the rear diff and the transfer case serviced?

watch this.. How to Replace Wheel Bearing Hub 10-16 Cadillac SRX

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response, should have mentioned it's FWD so no rear diff or transfer case. I didn't hear any abnormal noises when rotating the rear tires with it jacked up. Might have to remove the wheels and try it, was hoping there was a smoking gun test that could help pinpoint it.

Forgot to add, watched that video several times already and it seemed fairly straightforward.

·
Registered
2005 Cadillac Deville
378 Posts
Carefully, do some "slalom" driving when the noise is there. Pay attention to see if the noise changes from one side to the other.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Took it into the shop, they inspected everything and say they can't find anything wrong. They said it might be coming from one of the tires which had some minor cupping (one rear tire was brand new, the other older). Replaced the tire and noise was still there. Took it back to the shop, they inspected it deeper and still couldn't find anything wrong. They acknowledge the noise exists but there is no obvious cause as everything seems tight in the rear. The noise is definitely rotational as it gets louder/pitch changes with speed and the only thing that rotates in the back end are the wheel hubs. Obviously they could just replace the wheel bearings/hub but I'd like to not do that unless we knew for sure that was it. I did try turning at speed, was hard to find a place to do that and it may have seemed to be lesser noise when turning right but was hard to say for sure on the limited roadway I had to turn at 35+ mph speed. So just going to wait it out a bit and see if it gets louder and becomes more obvious.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Took it into the shop, they inspected everything and say they can't find anything wrong. They said it might be coming from one of the tires which had some minor cupping (one rear tire was brand new, the other older). Replaced the tire and noise was still there. Took it back to the shop, they inspected it deeper and still couldn't find anything wrong. They acknowledge the noise exists but there is no obvious cause as everything seems tight in the rear. The noise is definitely rotational as it gets louder/pitch changes with speed and the only thing that rotates in the back end are the wheel hubs. Obviously they could just replace the wheel bearings/hub but I'd like to not do that unless we knew for sure that was it. I did try turning at speed, was hard to find a place to do that and it may have seemed to be lesser noise when turning right but was hard to say for sure on the limited roadway I had to turn at 35+ mph speed. So just going to wait it out a bit and see if it gets louder and becomes more obvious.
I have a 2013 SRX
3 of the four wheel bearings on my vehicle have now been replaced. Similar symptoms. You will eventually get an ABS code on the dash. It's the magnets that break, cant just fix that, hub replaced each time around $500 CDN

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, yeah I think I've pretty much accepted that, just want to be sure they replace the one that is making noise right now, I'm sure the others will be soon to follow. I'm taking it to another shop that can put remote mics near the wheels to capture sound when the car is moving so hopefully that will pinpoint it. When you say the magnets break, is that for the speed sensor? Does the magnets breaking cause the noise or the ABS code?

·
Registered
7 Posts
on the work orders they referred to it as Left rear hub reluctor cracked,
Sensor tone ring right front tire fractured and ½ is missing. (Wheel bearing)
They also refer to this as.. wheel bearing reluctor wheel broken replaced wheel bearing

on the dash it said ABS light on , stablitrak off

the last time this was the code
ABS errors
C0045-5A left rear wheel speed sensor circuit - not plausible

they replaced the wheel hub/bearing assembly

also note: the first time this happened the car would only go 5mph and I had to push the stabilitrak button (turn it off) then the car worked fine

1 - 11 of 11 Posts