Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2009 CTS4 Premium & 2012 SRX4 Luxury
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With 67k on the car, there was quite a bit of carbon buildup on the stock exhaust tips. When I first looked at them they appeared to be relatively plain single wall slash cut tips. I was surprised when detailing the car to discover that the factory tips are double wall Corsa-style! It took my Dremel tool with a felt disc and some polishing compound to clean all the crud around the inside lip, and alas there is some pitting on the bottom edge where moisture runs out. I notice there is a perforated baffle inside the tips but no drain hole in the outer wall underneath, so it has somewhere else to drain. After driving around a few days later there's already fresh black buildup running out. Any tips on how to keep the factory tips clean?

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,323 Posts
Polish them to get them as clean as possible, and try one of the sprays made to keep brake dust from building up on rims.

Honestly though, carbon buildup is inevitable. The more often you clean the tips, the easier they'll be to clean.

·
Registered
2016 AWD 2.0T LUXE, 2016 C7 TBDE vert, 2003 Avey Z66
614 Posts
Put nitro or avgas in the tank...no carbon build up. Seriously, I have the same issue and stopped trying to care about it. I just clean when washing. My C6 is the same way.

·
Registered
2009 CTS4 Premium & 2012 SRX4 Luxury
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So nobody has tried drilling a hole in the bottom center of the tip, below the perforations, so that water drips down through the bottom of the tip and doesn't run out the back? These are the first tips I think I've seen that don't have a drip hole in the bottom.

·
Registered
2016 AWD 2.0T LUXE, 2016 C7 TBDE vert, 2003 Avey Z66
614 Posts
So nobody has tried drilling a hole in the bottom center of the tip, below the perforations, so that water drips down through the bottom of the tip and doesn't run out the back? These are the first tips I think I've seen that don't have a drip hole in the bottom.
The "weep" hole is typically designed and located at the lowest point of the system...most applications - it's the muffler. A hole anywhere else is a waste of time. Moisture that is expelled from the tip will still come out after a cold start and acceleration. FWIW.

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
14,158 Posts
The "weep" hole is typically designed and located at the lowest point of the system...most applications - it's the muffler. A hole anywhere else is a waste of time. Moisture that is expelled from the tip will still come out after a cold start and acceleration. FWIW.
If you drive long enough the moisture will burn off. My daily drive is about 20 miles/40 minutes, lots of highway speeds. My exhaust definitely gets up to temperature, so this is a non-issue for me. The outside of my tips remain clean, I don't care about the inside. Resistance is futile!

·
Registered
Gone; ‘09 V, ‘13 V coupe. Curr; ‘14 PG Vsport prem w/Kona interior
6,177 Posts
MoistCabbage said:
Honestly though, carbon buildup is inevitable. The more often you clean the tips, the easier they'll be to clean.
^^^ This. I wipe the exhaust tips out with a wet (plain old water) rag every couple of days and they look good as new. Very easy to keep looking great with little effort. If carbon continues to build up inside the exhaust tips and becomes baked on it takes more work to get them clean.
Keeping the exhaust tips clean inside and out, is one of those worthwhile extra details like cleaning between/behind the wheel spokes, that helps to keep a car looking like it just came off a showroom floor IMO.

·
Registered
2013 Black Diamond CTS4 Premium Coupe (sold-09 CTS4 DI Black Raven/Ebony)
4,337 Posts
^^^ This. I wipe the exhaust tips out with a wet (plain old water) rag every couple of days and they look good as new. Very easy to keep looking great with little effort. If carbon continues to build up inside the exhaust tips and becomes baked on it takes more work to get them clean.
Keeping the exhaust tips clean inside and out, is one of those worthwhile extra details like cleaning between/behind the wheel spokes, that helps to keep a car looking like it just came off a showroom floor IMO.
Where I'm at, right now that's a good way to get stuck on the exhaust. And showroom new isn't even considered when my black car is white, and not by choice.

·
Registered
2008 CTS
161 Posts
Mothers power ball then coat with duragloss 501. Should be easier to clean next time and retreat with dg 501 as needed

1 - 10 of 10 Posts