Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
04 ESV Platinum, 96 Eldorado Coachbuilder LTD, 96 FWB
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im going to look at a "mint" fleetwood Coupe tomorrow. Here is the deal, soome 88 year old man owned it, and garaged it in a rented garage. He became wheel chair bound and stoped driving... Died... cars sittin in this gararge and the guy that owns the house/ garage doesnt want the car. Has no keys, title (mass is a title state) and doesnt know if it runs..

he wants 600 for this "mint" car.... but wiht no keys and not knowing if it runs its only worth, o id say 150$ in my eyes.

Any way i could hot wire this badd ass whip to get in on the trailer, and or to see if it does run.

Thanks.
Me

·
Registered
1979 Phaeton Coupe, 1990 Brougham d'Elegance 5.7 liter
4,416 Posts
Look near the ignition or under the dash for two red wires, if you don't find two red ones, just find two that match. Cross them and if all goes right, you'll be off :)

Keep us updated!

·
Registered
1995 Fleetwood Brougham
709 Posts
its not 2 reds. You need to locate the ignition harness at the base of the column. -you need to power up the pink wire. the thick red wire is constant 12v so you can use that. then you need to power up the purple wire to crank the car. once the cars starts then you remove the power from the purple wire. You still wont able to drive out because the column will still be locked... HTH

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well i went and looked at it. I dont know where to start. Car sat in a single car garage. COVERED in dust/ dirt. Looked like one of them "barn" finds... I think it was black wiht black leather. I knew we had no keys to start it, i didnt know the doors were locked. lol. It was a Delegance, wiht the 4/6/8 ( is that still a 4100??) so i couldnt even get in it. Apparently this old man had a few other cars, a 80's eldorado, a old lincoln continental convertible, and one of the old 80;s caddys with the dual wheels on the fenders. They "gave" those away, but wanted 600 for this charm. It wasnt mint, but nice, from what i could see. I told him it was worthless and just good for scrap. Got him to 400, told him hes still crazy and to call me when he wants it gone. I wouldnt even know hot to get it out. Its locked backed into a garage, followed by a narrow driveway on a one way street. So my car trailer and truck probably wouldnt work. I could get go-jacks to get the back wheels rolling, but it be alot of work.

Im going to call him friday and offer 150 and ill come haul it away. The dad wants it gone and doenst care wtf happens to it, kid just wants to make a quick buck.

So i didnt even get to hotwire it. lol.

Ill keep you updated.

·
Registered
1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX
34,087 Posts
You told the old man that his 1981 Fleetwood Brougham Coupe, which is a triple black d'Elegance was worthless, and that you wouldn't pay $600 for it?

Wow.

·
Registered
'66 SDV, '76 FWB, '80 Hearse, '71 Riviera & '75 Chevy RV
531 Posts
Grab this one buddy. Might be a bit of work, but I think you might be kicking yourself later if you don't! If the car is a V-8-6-4 it's not a 4100. It has the big block 368. Good motor if changed to work as a standard V8, which may have already been done. I second the 'keep us updated' bit and get some pictures up eventually if you can! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
'92 Brougham d'Elegance 305; '98 Seville STS
490 Posts
You told the old man that his 1981 Fleetwood Brougham Coupe, which is a triple black d'Elegance was worthless, and that you wouldn't pay $600 for it?

Wow.
Yeah, I agree with you Chad. Not to be sanctimonious, but $600 sounds like a square deal even if that car does not have the title. The missing ignition/door keys is a royal pain, but really $600 would be a decent buy, and $400 would be a steal in my unsolicited opinion.

Besides that, even if the door was to unlocked, would the guy let him crack open the steering column to hotwire the ignition? Not likely. (I can just see the BCM, relays, and computers fried with the smell of hot electrical ozone in the air.)

·
Registered
'79 Phaeton (crushed), '94 Brougham, 78 Mark V DJ
183 Posts
Trying to hotwire it is ridiculous, are you going to do that every time you want to drive it? Get a locksmith out, and he'll make a door and ignition key for you. Takes less than an hour. It'll save you a lot of money in the long run, I had it done once. Please don't go and start breaking things/crossing wires.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think you guys misunderstood me.... they 88 year old owner has been dead for 3 years. This car is sitting in someones garage that he rented. These people dont care at all, just want it gone. Will prob junk it, like the other 4 caddys he had. The son to the owner of the house/garage wants to make a qucik buck, and the dad just "wants it the **** outta his garage" so he said. So i didnt insult the "owner" of the car. These people dont care. Im going to call tomorrow and see if the kid re-evaluated his asking price. Ill keep you all posted.

·
Registered
1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX
34,087 Posts
Oh, that's different then. If they're gonna junk it go bottom dollar. Anything is a profit for them in that case.

·
Registered
'92 Brougham d'Elegance 305; '98 Seville STS
490 Posts
I concur, and hopefully I didn't suggest in my post that you were trying to be unfair with the selller. Without a title, keys, etc., it is going to entail a little work, time and resources to get things in order. That said, I hope you get it for a song, and then post pics for us! (It sounds like you'd be doing them a favor by getting it off their property.)

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I called back and this kid pissed me right off. I offered him $200 for it, he accepted that, but "just wait till sunday, i have another guy intrested, if he doesnt beat 200 you can have it"..... OOOooOoo that got me steamed. I told him whatever and to let me know. I was BS..

So if i get a call sunday and this guy A didnt show, or B wasnt intrested, im gona get this (*&#$ kid good..... Sunday it would only be worht 100$ to me, not 2...

Kid is a bad salesman. Either accept and i buy the car, or not. Dont ####ing BS me like that..... ooooooo GRRRRRR

But whatever.... its no loss if someone else buys it..

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
28,973 Posts
Until the first guy waving $100 bills shows up it's for sale in my book. Anything said over the phone is a rumor. When you're selling old cars there are a hundred tire kickers getting in the way. If you want the car hand him the money, otherwise you're just background noise in the dealing.

·
Registered
Sedan de Ville, CTS
4,764 Posts
When I was growing up, I always wanted to be a car thief. Now that I read some of these posts, I have changed my mind because I am color blind.

But that is good. I don't like jobs that take too much effort.

·
Registered
None yet!
1,025 Posts
Hey CaddyBrougham.. is the one "With the extra wheels on the side" perhaps a white 84 with a stainless steel roof? There was one sitting behind Williams Auto-Electric for ages, I was offered it for free by Rich Williams himself before it turned out he didn't own it and, apparently, neither did anyone else. When I tracked down the guy who did, it had a weird story, no keys, no title, and the dude wanted money. I let it sit, and it eventually dissapeared. The dude selling it was a propper ass-face, he wanted money for it and told me it was "Real easy" to get a title on it (HA!).

·
Registered
Cadillac
5 Posts
I totally agree with arnauts. Get a locksmith, they should be able to get the ignition and door open easily, no muss no fuss, and then you have the problem solved. If you need to have the car out of there first, have someone tow it on a flatbed. Make sure they know what kind of car they'll be dealing with first to make sure their equipment can handle it. I believe they can just winch the mothereffer out of the garage and right up onto the bed, even in park. It might not be so good for the tires, but they're probably old any way, right? The only thing I'd be a little concerned about is the title, and you probably should find out from your state licence place what is required to title a car in this situation. Without a real title, insurance, license plates, etc is probably a pain. Good luck, sounds like a sweet deal.

·
Super Moderator
2014 ELR
9,838 Posts
If you take the VIN to a dealer, they can cut keys for you. Also, I would bet that if you get the door open (use a coat hanger), the original key blanks will be in the owners booklet in the glove compartment...

Once you get it, want to trade for my white on blue 81 FWB D'Elegance coupe? I like black:thumbsup:

·
Registered
'80 Fleetwood Coupe, 1994 and 1995 Mercedes 140 Coupe
2,096 Posts
If that car is rust free where the body meets the vinly top underneath the trim AND it has no waves or dimples in the flat part of the rear quarter panels just below the top corner, it is golden. Get it. There are speciality custom shops who build using only this body style. I sold a bunch of my spare Fleetwood Coupe parts to a guy from Detroit who sent a couple NBA stars out here to pick it all up. You can't go wrong if the car is decent. Many states allow to re-issue lost titles. Probably all on the internet. Tell 'em you party with Ted Kennedy.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts