Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2019 PLT. XT-5 Crystal White Tricoat & Maple Sugar/Black
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've gone into the 2019 manual to find info about the Speed Limit Sign that used to show up below the the digital speedometer dash. It tells what it is and where the info comes from. Nothing else.

I even called the dealership and the shop fellow said "Look in your manual."

How do I get the roadside Speed Limit Sign emblem to show up again?

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
2017 XT5 Platinum, 2008 CTS (3.6L DI, AWD)
428 Posts
which trim level do you have? the dash is different and operates differently on the various trim levels. Also keep in mind that the sign gets it's info from your navigation system, so if the maps don't have a speed limit listed for that road (some don't) then you won't get the sign.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
which trim level do you have? the dash is different and operates differently on the various trim levels. Also keep in mind that the sign gets it's info from your navigation system, so if the maps don't have a speed limit listed for that road (some don't) then you won't get the sign.
It is the Platinum trim.

What reminded about the missing speed limit emblem was two things. When the top dash was replaced last month due to the large bubble, for a week, I had an XT6. It showed the speed limit sign in the areas where I live, so I know there are zones mine should be showing.

The second reason is because of the new insurance program I started. Being with State Farm for over 40 years, I thought I'd try their program where you add a small "Tattle Tail" box inside your car, (and my pickup) that links with your cell phone. The only accident I've had was over 40 years ago when my 9 month old Caprice was rear-ended by a young girl driver. At 70+ years old, I've not had any speeding ticket, ever. So, I thought I might as well get paid for being good! But now, with this new insurance program that is supposed to reduce you rates, it is reporting speed zones around where I live as 40mph while there are 3 signs on roadside showing the zone is 55mph. I find myself having to call in those "issues" several times a month.

Having that speed limit sign emblem working would tell me where the state's 40 mph listing starts and ends.... and get the program's engineers to verify the new signage and correct speed zones.

Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
2017 XT5 Platinum, 2008 CTS (3.6L DI, AWD)
428 Posts
try this:

Press the left arrow on the right of your steering wheel to view the features on the left of your DIC. Use the down arrow to scroll down to Options. Select Options and you will see the language option. Scroll down to the Info Pages below the language option to see the Info Pages. Use the right arrow to view all 14 Info Pages that are available. Use the down arrow to scroll down the list of Info Pages available. The selected Info Pages will have a vertical red line. When you scroll down to Speed Limit, press SEL to select that Info Page to view and it will then have a vertical red line to the left of Speed Limit. You will see the Speed Limit sign on the bottom row of your DIC along with the Cruise icons, LKA icon, and vehicle detection icon.

·
Registered
2020 XT5, Premium Luxury AWD Platinum, Garnet Metallic, 20" Ultra-Bright
1,717 Posts
Having that speed limit sign emblem working would tell me where the state's 40 mph listing starts and ends.... and get the program's engineers to verify the new signage and correct speed zones.

Any help is appreciated.
Once you have the speed limit sign working following the advice of @davedogcaddy, you will have the speed limit displayed consistent with the date your Navigation Maps were updated. I see your Platinum is a 2019 per your vehicle information which probably has maps from 2018. The data on that version is likely from 2016 or maybe 2017. The reason I am mentioning the probable vintage of the map database is that you seem to be anticipating the speed limit sign displayed on your DIC is going to be current but in reality it is going to be 2-3 years old.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
davedogcaddy Okay, I'm going to try the steps.

The phone workers I talked with each time has been different. One said the changes I'm pointing out will be made "in two weeks", the next said, "It will be addressed in a week", the last one said, "We get our data from 'Apple Maps'. They only update their maps once a year." So, I'll be interested to see what year my XT5 is using. The vehicle was first brought into the dealership's Pre Inspection Service Record with 3 miles on it on June 28 of 2018...

Will come back and update what happened. Thanks to you both for giving me a place to start!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
try this:

Press the left arrow on the right of your steering wheel to view the features on the left of your DIC. Use the down arrow to scroll down to Options. Select Options and you will see the language option. Scroll down to the Info Pages below the language option to see the Info Pages. Use the right arrow to view all 14 Info Pages that are available. Use the down arrow to scroll down the list of Info Pages available. The selected Info Pages will have a vertical red line. When you scroll down to Speed Limit, press SEL to select that Info Page to view and it will then have a vertical red line to the left of Speed Limit. You will see the Speed Limit sign on the bottom row of your DIC along with the Cruise icons, LKA icon, and vehicle detection icon.
Dave,
Thank you for your help. I was expecting to see "info pages" as text from the owner manual, but the "pages" are not as I anticipated seeing. But, I followed your steps and got the left red line to come back. It now shows the speed limit sign in the lower center area of the display.

In trying to think back as to how it was turned off, it must have been when I was turning on/off the window option that deals with a Dinging Sound when the vehicle exceeds the speed limit of 55mph... A speed limit for a different issue...😅

This vehicle has so many features, it's a learning curve for sure. Thanks, again.

·
Registered
2018 XT5
721 Posts
Once you have the speed limit sign working following the advice of @davedogcaddy, you will have the speed limit displayed consistent with the date your Navigation Maps were updated. I see your Platinum is a 2019 per your vehicle information which probably has maps from 2018. The data on that version is likely from 2016 or maybe 2017. The reason I am mentioning the probable vintage of the map database is that you seem to be anticipating the speed limit sign displayed on your DIC is going to be current but in reality it is going to be 2-3 years old.
We have roads where I live that went from 35 to 45 about 6 to 8 years ago my 19 still shows the old speeds. Like I’ve said before it’s up to the jurisdiction to update their data.

·
Registered
'14 SRX4 Premium silver-coast/shale-brownstone
849 Posts
I've got areas where speeds were changed 20 years ago and GM's map supplier is still wrong on their data!

Max

·
Registered
2018 XT5
721 Posts
I've got areas where speeds were changed 20 years ago and GM's map supplier is still wrong on their data!

Max
It’s not really the map supplier, it’s the village, township, city or state that is responsible for updating their records. And with high taxes, cutting staffs it just isn’t going to happen. I have freeways here in Michigan that went from 70 to 75 a few years ago and I bet they haven’t been updated.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks, njacobsen, for your help, too.
With the help of Davedogcaddy, knowing how to set the speed limit signs made all the difference! Getting the icon to appear and work was great.
So, here is a Cruise Control twist to that accomplishment....

I've read on this forum about the issues of having one of the insurance companies "Driving Apps" that "lowers your premiums". I started one of those to see if the insurance on both my F-150 and the new XT-5 could be lowered for "good" driving. Keep in mind that I'm retired, over 70 yrs old with zero speeding tickets, and the only wreck was over 43 years ago when a high school girl rear-ended us. On the insurance company's app., it seems as if you see your whole life story when looking at each trip of the time and where you started until you get back home. The XT dash's speed limit sign may remain blank even though the insurance company's "Apple Maps" shows a speed limit of 40mph, or yet when the roadside metal-and-post speed limit signs shows the speed limit is now 55mph...but it comes up as a "Ding" against the the policy holder's driving ratings...

Yesterday morning, I was taking my wife to a day-surgery hospital. Literally after I get on the Interstate for the 25 mile trip, the traffic is spread out and I get to posted/dash 70mph and press the Cruise button. I use Cruise until nearing the larger city's heavier traffic and then tap the brake and did not use it any longer. As I am in the surgery waiting room, I look at the trip log.... in less that 10 miles after entering Interstate entry ramp, getting up to 70mph, and hitting the Cruse button, the Insurance Company's route shows 3 Speeding Dings! WHILE CRUISE is ON and set at 70mph, the first Ding shows 84mph. The second Ding shows 104mph. The third Ding shows 85mph...all while on cruise.... Does One, surgical hospital waiting room or in daily life, really need any extra Stress????

I called the now "infamous 888 number" yesterday afternoon to find out from their support line what in the world in going on, and feel like a kid sent to the Principal's Office. For the fist time, I'm told that the adaptive cruise of the XT5 is causing the problem and that's a "known issue" they are dealing with since their Drive and Safe program began..... At first, I was told not to use the cruise control, then don't pay attention to the false speeding readings.... How would that set with you...??? So, I spent today on the phone with my local insurance agency to find out that they have "no impact on that program; the rates come from higher up." Following that "we can't help you" conversation, I more time in calling the Insurance Company's "Drive Safe and Save" dept that has to explain how and why their "Dings" are wrong and find out what it means to my driving record and annual policy costs.... From what they said, my phone conversation is placed into my account's records and will be reviewed when I've been in this monitoring app program for 6 months. Because my annual policy come due in October, she said being this safe driving program, so far, it actually saved me $6 on my F150 and $7 on the XT5......

If you have this type of Insurance preminum reduction program, or are thinking about getting one, just be aware of the HOURS of time spent "debugging their program and your driving record" and consider the many times you'll spend repeatedly doing that. I can't quit the program until I know what it is actually worth and that I have, IN WRITING, that the false events like the 104mph event are not held against my driving record....

·
Registered
2020 XT5, Premium Luxury AWD Platinum, Garnet Metallic, 20" Ultra-Bright
1,717 Posts
My insurance company has the Drive Safe and Save program which gets it's input from OnStar mileage update monthly in my XT5. Sounds like you have the device you place in the vehicle and it connects by bluetooth to your smartphone.

Do you subscribe to OnStar? If so, the insurance company collects a lot less data from your driving habits by enabling their program through OnStar.

I have a Honda that does not have a feature similar to OnStar and uses the device from the insurance company that uses GPS to track where you are on their roadway database which has the speed limits to to calculate your driving relationship to the posted speed limits. It does not use the speed limits in your navigation database.

The story you were told about adaptive cruise causing the errors was a smoke screen to get you off the call.

When I first started using that device, I complained to my agent about the inaccuracy and the minimal discount. He claimed to have no influence with the program, but one renewal cycle latter, my discount increased and has consistently rewarded me in the $40-$50 range each six months.

The nicest part of those programs is the automatic adjustment for annual miles driven which is at this time the only data they get from OnStar. OnStar does have a Safe Driver module you can control (on or off) so they have the data but as far as I know do not report that to the insurance company.

The frustrating part of participating in those programs is there is no documentation on how they work and you can get different answers each time you call.

·
Registered
2017 XT5
912 Posts
This is the biggest rip-off the insurance industry has yet created. I've had three companies promise me verbally that there is no way my rates will increase because of the device - I can ONLY get a discount. Then I go on the web and read stories where people have had rate increases and even cancellations due to data from these devices. I read the insurance company's fine print and discover the sales person is lying to me.

Honestly, my car insurance is not terribly expensive - about $1500/yr for full coverage and low deductibles on two cars, one of them being a "specialty" car that some companies (like Allstate) won't even insure. An advertised 20% discount ($300!) for using the device and meeting their "safe driver" criteria sounds good until I read the fine print and find it's only on certain parts of the policy and more like $100/yr. No thanks - not worth the gamble. Around here, on certain parts of the freeway, if you aren't doing over 80mph, you are a major hazard.

·
Registered
18 XT5 / 18 CTS 3.6 AWD
634 Posts
This is the biggest rip-off the insurance industry has yet created.
Seriously!! There is zero chance my insurance company will convince me to install any of their apps. They tried to get me recently when my new pink slips came in they said download the app and you can use digital proof of insurance. No thanks. So you can log my driving habits? So I have to give a cop my phone now so he can check my insurance. Nanny state big time. No thanks. And if I have the app running, when I'm driving my Caddy CTS how am I supposed to show up the tuner car with loud exhaust that is revving at me at the red light? Sorry, I like my big caddy to move when I want it to without a demerit DING going off.

There are certain 400-series highways in Ontario where 100Km/Hr is posted limit but it's accepted by everyone that 120 is the average speed. In fact I was stopped by a cop once on one of these highways just outside of Toronto, everyone was going 125, I passed a car and crept over 130. I told the police, "hey, everyone was going that fast". He said " I know, but you're the one I caught on my radar. So keep it below 130 and my radar gun won't trigger". So even the police accept that going 120 is fine on certain highways. In fact they are possibly going to up the limit on some of these roads.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My insurance company has the Drive Safe and Save program which gets it's input from OnStar mileage update monthly in my XT5. Sounds like you have the device you place in the vehicle and it connects by bluetooth to your smartphone.

Do you subscribe to OnStar? If so, the insurance company collects a lot less data from your driving habits by enabling their program through OnStar.

I have a Honda that does not have a feature similar to OnStar and uses the device from the insurance company that uses GPS to track where you are on their roadway database which has the speed limits to to calculate your driving relationship to the posted speed limits. It does not use the speed limits in your navigation database.

The story you were told about adaptive cruise causing the errors was a smoke screen to get you off the call.

When I first started using that device, I complained to my agent about the inaccuracy and the minimal discount. He claimed to have no influence with the program, but one renewal cycle latter, my discount increased and has consistently rewarded me in the $40-$50 range each six months.

The nicest part of those programs is the automatic adjustment for annual miles driven which is at this time the only data they get from OnStar. OnStar does have a Safe Driver module you can control (on or off) so they have the data but as far as I know do not report that to the insurance company.

The frustrating part of participating in those programs is there is no documentation on how they work and you can get different answers each time you call.
Lots going on, and to respond to your help and question about On Star, I do have the "2 yr" program, but the rest of On Star's options now expire a few months after they were activated when in their "new approach" to seeing their costly options in a much shorter time frame.

Again, I spent more time going though my agency which said they have no influence on the information or the way the renewal costs are calculated, nor could they tell me how much this program is saving me.... So, more time spent, I moved upward through this company's driving program's chain-of-command. The rep. listened and went though internal sources to verify it was their issue, and as I requested, she sent me, in an email writing, a disclaimer that the false 84,104, and 85mph readings were not accurate and do not count toward any rating. She stayed on the phone as "we" went to the XT5, verified that the little sensor box's L.E.D. was blinking, and had me remove the current driving program on the phone hooked to the XT and downloaded it again last Friday. I'm sure "by coincidence", I received an notice to update the program on each phone on Monday... Oddly, that very afternoon, with my wife riding along and just out of the house after her return home last Friday, I was "Dinged" now for a "Fast Corning Event"....I'm in a right turn branch yield lane while the rest are going straight through on their green light naturally blocking any intersection traffic from any direction.... Now, really, how fast does one "corner" with a recovering surgical passenger???

I'm sure my days on this "Drive and Save" program are limited in number....

·
Registered
2012 SRX Luxury
442 Posts
I have one of these devices as a Vyncs system that monitors the car for me. It has all of the Insurance company features as mentioned but this one does not report to anyone but me. I mostly use it to ensure the car is safe and sound when parked at parking lots while i am out of town on travel. And it monitors the battery system for me to ensure my battery isn't heading to dead. It does track my locations when driving but again doesn't report to anyone. As for those hard right turns and excessive acceleration that it says, I've found the acceleration monitor and G based sensor setups are bogus in there. Probably due to the insurance industry lol. It's junk for those parts of it but I do like to know my car is safe and sound and that the battery is working as it should along with my alternator charging system. It will also notify me of faults from the OBD II port as well to my phone and app. Overall, I'd rate it good for the $8 a month i spend on it.

Steve

·
Registered
'14 SRX4 Premium silver-coast/shale-brownstone
849 Posts
You ASSUME it sends the data to no one, but that is false if the company is sending you reports. They're sending the data to themselves. Which can be traced, tracked, and sold.

You also state you spend $8 per month on it but the link preview says No Monthly Fee?

No thanks.

Max

1 - 18 of 18 Posts