Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1992 Cadillac ETC
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do I gain access to the ALDL on my car? I need to get at it to jumper the connector to reprogram the remote for my keyless entry.

Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
94 Eldorado, and a 99 ETC
3,887 Posts
The wire that you have to ground to program your key FOB is located in the trunk under the plastic trim where that little pull-down motor is. It's a black wire that looks like it should be connected to the motor, but that's not the case. You just need to get a length of wire and connect it to ground. I think there's a procedure in the tech tips section. I'll go look for it, just a second.

Edit: I was wrong, the procedure is not in the tech tips section... Maybe it should be posted there. Hmmm...
Anyways I found it in this thread here:
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-seville-cadillac-eldorado-forum/477-need-help-how-program-keyless-fob.html#post6621

·
Registered
1992 Cadillac ETC
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cool, thanks.

Am I going to have to pull the dash apart to get at the connector?

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
Cool, thanks.

Am I going to have to pull the dash apart to get at the connector?
Nope; the wire is in the trunk, not the dashboard.
You will have to remove the plastic trim around the pull-down motor though.

·
Registered
1992 Cadillac ETC
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I understand that, but from what I hear, the ALDL is behind the ashtray in the centre console.

·
Registered
1992 Cadillac ETC
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Either I'm not doing something right, or the instructions I found online are wrong. Jumpered the connector, and nothing happened. The instructions I used said the ALDL is behind the ashtray, but on my car, it's under the dash.

·
Registered
2008 SRX
403 Posts
Your ALDL is under the dash near the E-brake, the RKE jumper as previously mentioned is near the trunk pull-down / reach under the right side of the trim and fish around with your fingers. Pull out the single connector with a blk/wht wire, jumper it to ground and turn the key on; when the doors lock & unlock, press the unlock button twice and the locks will cycle again, then if this is your only remote, press its unlock button twice again. If you have a second remote, press the unlock button twice on that one instead of doing the first one over.

·
Registered
1992 eldorado. 2007 dodge magnum hemi r/t
3,013 Posts
Either I'm not doing something right, or the instructions I found online are wrong. Jumpered the connector, and nothing happened. The instructions I used said the ALDL is behind the ashtray, but on my car, it's under the dash.
If you have to be further convinced,I did my 92 eldo about 2 years ago when I had to buy a new remote,put the inside of the car out of your mind,the whole procedure is done with the little jumper wire inside trunk pull down motor,it has nothing to do with the pull down motor,that's just where it's
located. Trust us.

·
Registered
1992 Cadillac ETC
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you have to be further convinced,I did my 92 eldo about 2 years ago when I had to buy a new remote,put the inside of the car out of your mind,the whole procedure is done with the little jumper wire inside trunk pull down motor,it has nothing to do with the pull down motor,that's just where it's
located. Trust us.
The instructions I got said to make sure the key was turned to off; I'll try it again tomorrow and see what happens.

·
Registered
1992 Cadillac ETC
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, still no luck. I've discovered that there is no pin in the G connector, which would explain a lot of the problems I'm having with it.

Oh well, looks like it's off to the dealership.

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
Well, still no luck. I've discovered that there is no pin in the G connector, which would explain a lot of the problems I'm having with it.

Oh well, looks like it's off to the dealership.
What?... Did you even try the procedure I directed you to?

·
Registered
1992 Cadillac ETC
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I've tried EVERYTHING you guys have told me, and absolutely nothing works. Nice job assuming I'm dense, though.

I'm well aware that the procedure has absolutely nothing to do with the pull-down motor, as someone else said.

http://myweb.accessus.net/~090/cad93rke.html

These are the instructions I originally was using.

I appreciate the warm, friendly environment here.

/sarc

All I've been trying to do the whole time is (like these instructions have said) to jumper the two pins on the connector, which is supposedly supposed to make me be able to program the new transmitter; that's all. There is no wire in the one pin on the ALDL connector (it looks like it's been pushed all the way in or something)

At this point, I'm incredibly frustrated with this car. It seems like every week, there's something wrong with it.

·
Registered
1992 Cadillac ETC
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Alright, here's how it goes.

I've been using the wrong instructions; when I typed it in to Google, that page was the first one that came up. However, I've just noticed now that it said 1991-1993 (Devilles, Sixty Specials, etc), and Eldo's aren't mentioned.

Now that I've noticed that, I'll try the instructions provided here, and let you know how it goes.

Sorry, guys. I misread it.

Edit: It works!

The problem (believe it or not) was that the battery I had bought a couple weeks ago was dead, somehow. Put a new battery in it, followed the instructions you guys provided, and it works like a charm.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
I'm glad you got your problem resolved... I apologise on behalf of the board for being unwelcomming. But, you have to see it from our angle; we are making the effort to help you. We could just as easily choose not to help at all. It didn't seem like you were accepting the help we were giving which seems kinda contradictive in my opinion; you post up here asking for help, then deny the help recieved. Sure sometimes we may be wrong, but a little acknowledgment that you've at least read what we've posted goes a long way.

I do not mean to start a flame with this post. It's just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
1992 Cadillac ETC
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It's cool, don't worry about it.

I appreciate any help I can get. I can't believe I didn't notice the instructions I was using were for the wrong car. (Doh!)

Thanks again.

One problem down, a couple more to go. The car's going in for a new muffler on Wednesday (one of the baffles in the case is gone, so it rattles around quite a lot!). Picked up a Flowmaster 80 Series cross-flow muffler (upping the pipes from 2" to 2.5"), with new black chrome tips. Should look good, and I'll post pictures as soon as it's done. The ABS light is still on (haven't gotten around to getting that looked at yet), and the check engine light comes and goes (E046 code).. wonder if it's time to do the O2 sensors..

Such is the nature of having a Cadillac, no?

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
and the check engine light comes and goes (E046 code).. wonder if it's time to do the O2 sensors..
I'm reading off of my diagnostics flow chart for that code.
Do you have driveability problems, such as misfiring, lack of power, or poor fuel economy? If yes, do fuel systems checks, and check EGR

If no, go into diagnostics mode "ECM DATA?"
"ED38" = Front bank
"ED39" = Rear bank
Note which bank has a number difference farthest from "128" (Positive or negative difference). Replace heated O2 sensor for whichever has the greatest difference.

(This is for my 94 eldo... I'm not entirely sure if your 92 even has an "ECM DATA" function.)

·
Registered
1992 Cadillac ETC
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I think I remember seeing that option in the IPC. My biggest problem is knowing which combination of buttons to push to navigate/access different options in the IPC.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts