Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2009 CTS AWD DI 2014 AWD CTS DI
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With 104K my 2002 DHs may need struts but how does one tell for sure if they are worn or need replacing?

·
Registered
Cadillac Deville 02 base
27 Posts
Just take it to the dealer. They will tell you! Actually I have an 02 base Deville with 100k and the dlr quoted $730 for "front struts worn". The car rides nice and was in for the 100k plug change. I did not get the struts replaced so I am interested in why the mechanic would say they are worn.

·
Registered
2009 CTS AWD DI 2014 AWD CTS DI
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I hate to say it but just having the Dealer say the struts need replacing due to some arbitrary mileage number doesn't cut it for me. It is my money on the line. Can I assume that leaking is the sign of a strut that really needs replaced?

·
Registered
N/A
1,103 Posts
I hate to say it but just having the Dealer say the struts need replacing due to some arbitrary mileage number doesn't cut it for me. It is my money on the line. Can I assume that leaking is the sign of a strut that really needs replaced?
If its leaking it absolutely should be replaced. At 50,000 miles you should replace your shocks and struts as a preventative maintence.

If you actually drove back to back a car with new struts and a car with struts at 50,000 miles you would see and feel the vehicle perform much differently.

Replacing struts and shocks at 50,000 miles gives the car improved steering stopping and stability. I GUARENTEE the vehicle will be better overall.

·
Registered
Ex-99 Deville and 04 DTS owner. Now 05 DTS and 07 Audi S6 owner. 5.2L V10 power!
864 Posts
Well I replaced my struts on my 99 Deville @ 130,xxx. It needed them bad. My car would bounce really bad in the front. I would never pay $700 for struts though. I went to Arnott struts web site and bought them for $217. Hella cheaper. They work perfect too. Try them out if you decide to buy struts. A lot cheaper than dealer.

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
28,973 Posts
Well I replaced my struts on my 99 Deville @ 130,xxx. It needed them bad. My car would bounce really bad in the front. I would never pay $700 for struts though. I went to Arnott struts web site and bought them for $217. Hella cheaper. They work perfect too. Try them out if you decide to buy struts. A lot cheaper than dealer.
How adamant your dealer insists you car needs struts is directly proportional to how many kids he has in college.

·
Registered
Sedan de Ville, CTS
4,764 Posts
Push down on fender. If it bounces too much (???), it needs struts. Go to a Midas shop and tell them you are interested in this car, and you want to know if it needs struts. My belief is that they will be honest if you lie to them or if you tell them that you are thinking of buying it. (I don't lie much, but here I go. Where is the confessional????)
There must be a way I can rationalize that. Maybe I can change my story so that it is not an outright lie.

·
Registered
N/A
1,103 Posts
Maybe I should write in all bold letters for you people to read this:

Your struts and shocks have oil in them, it wears, and periodically needs to be replaced just as your engine oil, brake fluid, gear oil, and transmission fluid.

At 50,000 miles they are legally and industry wide considered worn or weakened from excessive use and should be replaced as a preventative maintenance. Now if its leaking or damaged both units on that axle should be replaced. However also for safe driveability of the vehicle you should ALWAYS replace shocks and struts in complete sets of four.

Sure any mechanical shop will make money on the recommendation and repair, but that in the end is what drives our economy. Its your job as the consumer to be educated in your decision. If you don't feel comfortable ask questions educate yourself to the reasons and benefits of doing this type of repair.

Replacing your struts and/or shocks WILL IMPROVE the vehicles steering, stopping, and stability.

I challenge anyone hear to prove me wrong.

·
Registered
Ex-99 Deville and 04 DTS owner. Now 05 DTS and 07 Audi S6 owner. 5.2L V10 power!
864 Posts
Maybe I should write in all bold letters for you people to read this:

Your struts and shocks have oil in them, it wears, and periodically needs to be replaced just as your engine oil, brake fluid, gear oil, and transmission fluid.

At 50,000 miles they are legally and industry wide considered worn or weakened from excessive use and should be replaced as a preventative maintenance. Now if its leaking or damaged both units on that axle should be replaced. However also for safe driveability of the vehicle you should ALWAYS replace shocks and struts in complete sets of four.

Sure any mechanical shop will make money on the recommendation and repair, but that in the end is what drives our economy. Its your job as the consumer to be educated in your decision. If you don't feel comfortable ask questions educate yourself to the reasons and benefits of doing this type of repair.

Replacing your struts and/or shocks WILL IMPROVE the vehicles steering, stopping, and stability.

I challenge anyone hear to prove me wrong.
I don't think anyone here doubts you. I know my handling improved a lot after I replaced my front struts. I didn't bother with the back ones because I'm not made of $$$. I did my front struts myself just to save me money because I can't afford no mechanic. I even did my own halfshaft replacement, but thats another post with problems.

·
Registered
2008 SRX
403 Posts
It's all a matter of feel to me. I often think a car rides fine but the customer insists it is too soft. So, I give them a price and let them decide how soft they really feel.
The first sign is usually a floating feeling in the front. Struts can often pass a bounce test, but feel horrible on the road.
I just upsold fronts and rears on a '97 Eldo. The customer wasn't complaining but I though it felt pretty bad, and they agreed. It has 173k miles.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts