Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Raven Black '05 CTS
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here is a simple DIY that a lot of people know how to do but I figured I would post it if it will help someone out and reduce reposts. The process pictured here is of me removing dealership badges but it is exactly the same for factory badges like the "CTS" logo on the trunk lid. Enjoy:

Tools needed:
-Fishing Line
-Eraser Disc
-Drill (For The Eraser Disc)
-Wax

Alright so here we start out with a dealership emblem which I wanted to remove.

Start off by taking your fishing line and wrapping each end around one hand like you would hold a piece of floss. Now take the line and run it between the badge and your car in a sawing motion. I used 20lb Monofilament but it doesn't really matter what test your line is.

Once you remove the badge you should be left with a bunch of ugly residue. This is normal and if you are removing the factory badges you will most likely have significantly more to remove.

This is where the Eraser Disc comes into play. I found this and the disc chuck at my local auto paint specialty store. It was made for quickly removing pin stripes and yes it is made for use on your car's paint. Don't forget to buy the chuck for the disc if you purchase this because the disc is threaded for use with the chuck. When using the disc hold at an angle to the surface as pictured and move back and forth like buffing a car. Do NOT sit in one spot because this will burn through your paint if you don't move.

The disc will leave behind eraser marks and dust just like the eraser on a pencil. Wipe the dust away and now you can remove the eraser marks with a compound or wax. I used Meguiar's brand only because I have had good results with them but you can use any brand of preference.

Buff away and admire your virgin paint!

Let me know what you guys think....

·
Registered
Raven Black '05 CTS
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
A quick google search for "Pinstripe Removal Eraser Disk" will turn up the tool I use above. I tried to link it just for reference but was denied the privilege through the forum. It's nothing fancy...should be under $10.

·
Registered
03 CTS 3.2L (Sold) / 09 CBR 600rr /2014 GMC Sierra
7,872 Posts
When I picked up my truck from the dealer they put the sticker on, I refused to take delivery till they took it off LOL.
It was not on when I looked at the truck. They said it hasto leave with something so plate frames went on and back off as
Soon as I got home.
My other cars I used floss to get them off, lighter fluid, some times a glue remover (skin so soft...laugh all you want
But AVON works hahah) or goo gone.

·
Registered
Sedan de Ville, CTS
4,764 Posts
I used a hor air gun(hair dryer) and it pulled right off. i used lighter fluid to remove the adhesive.
Lighter fluid? All right!

That plus a cherry bomb or two (this is 4th of July) = tons of fun.

Bad news = scorched, damaged panels.

Good news = on the job training for paint and body work. LOL

·
Registered
CTS 2,8 l
230 Posts
Boy am I lucky. Her in Norway thy use tape decals. I just picket it off with my nails.
On the frame for the license plate i bout a new chrome frame. That is 10 times more cool on the car.

·
Registered
06 CTS Sport/Luxury package
9,820 Posts
Well I guess I was a very lucky one, or should I say my CTS was. I am the second owner of this 06 CTS. And her paint is still from the factory there. Neither the first dealership, for the first owner. Or the second dealership, for me. Put on a sticker.

However, my other car an 04 Grand Am has bunch of little stickers for the dealer's name. Each little letter is it's own sticker. I could either allow it to heat up in the sun, or use a hair drier and then use my finger nails. But I don't care about it. :)

KOT

1 - 13 of 13 Posts