Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1997 STS, 2000 L67 Regal Beagle
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I have the rain sensing wipers in my 1997 STS, and only work on the low and high settings. I need to get the intermitant feature working, so is there a way to disable the rain sensing portion and just go to a normal timed interval?

Thanks
Steve

·
Registered
White Diamond 2001 STS
1,317 Posts
Re: How to Disable Rain Sensing Wipers

...is there a way to disable the rain sensing portion and just go to a normal timed interval?
I don't believe there is, Steve. As I understand it, if something is malfunctioning with the system (such as a bad or missing Rainsense module, etc), you only get low or high, with nothing in between.

Do you know why your system is not working? Is all the hardware in place?

·
Registered
1997 STS, 2000 L67 Regal Beagle
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

All the hardware is there. If I short the right bottom corner, it will do three intermitant cycles and then stop.

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts

Look at the adhesive for the sensor on the glass (from the outside), it should look like a clear dark gel.
If there are bubbles in it or some foreign material that is why it doesn't work right.
If you have had the windshield replaced this is what usually happens.
Most glass guys don't really understand what the sensor is or how it works.
GM makes an adhesive kit that helps you clean up the old sensor, prep it and it comes with two gel adhesive sheets to install the sensor.
It can be a major pain in the rear, but it might well restore the system to proper operation.

·
Registered
Sedan de Ville, CTS
4,764 Posts

Another way to disable the rain sensing wipers is to:

1. Rip wiper arms off front of car.
2. Throw them in trunk.
3. Cuss like heck.
4. Take a deep breath.

(Temp fix until tonight when it rains again.)

·
Registered
1998 Seville STS
3 Posts

All kidding aside,
is there a way to disable this damn feature. I hate it, even on the lowest setting its wayyyy to sensitive.

If i cut the wire out of the sensing box what will happen?

What do I need to know to have it on time interval. I can't believe Cadillac didn't think of a way to disable this feature.

Thanks
Alex

·
Registered
not anymore 2007 Lexus ES350
7,700 Posts

in the 2000 not sure if it is the same but i think its the same as your 98
just unplug the Plug from the Sensor on the windshield stick your finger up on top of the plug i think its just like a phone plug but bigger pull it out and you should have regular none moisture sensor operating wipers with regular modes to pick what you want
atleast thats what it is for mine if i unplug it thats how it works

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,973 Posts

I think TP is right. I just disconnected my wife's ("05 :LeSabre) like that. That reminds me, I've been meaning to disable mine.

·
Registered
7,700 Posts

I think TP is right. I just disconnected my wife's ("05 :LeSabre) like that. That reminds me, I've been meaning to disable mine.
why do you want them disabled do you not like the Rainse snesor wipers ?

i really enjoy mine i don't keep them on because i don't want my headlamps on all the time but i can still turn my headlamps to off and have the wipers on at times
then also i like the way they speed up and slow down depending on the rain they seem to work great for me
why do you want to disable yours ?

·
Registered
2002 Seville STS (Sold), 04 XLR, 87 Allante
198 Posts
Hey, to each his own. I like the feature, it's one less thing to mess with in foul weather.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,973 Posts
No I don't like it. I rarely use the wipers because I keep the windshield Rain-X'd, but on the rare occasion that I do, I prefer to control the swipe interval. Rain Sense seems to override that option and takes control away from me. Rain Sense seems to be a lot like liver, love it or hate it.

·
Registered
08 STS4 V8 1SG & 04 SRX4 V8 & 01 Monte SS
5,006 Posts
Using rain-x seems to confuse the sensor that reads changes in IR light to determine the amount of moisture on the window. The rain-x changes how the IR light is seen by the optical sensors.

·
Registered
7,700 Posts
No I don't like it. I rarely use the wipers because I keep the windshield Rain-X'd, but on the rare occasion that I do, I prefer to control the swipe interval. Rain Sense seems to override that option and takes control away from me. Rain Sense seems to be a lot like liver, love it or hate it.

True that love it or hate it
i know i hate liver where on the other hand my father will go to the PALM and ask if he can have liver and onions LMAO

I actualy want to get the rain/x stuff again i only ever used it once want to say about 8 years back in 2004 i think it was
NTB had a special 14.99 and they would treat the window with the rain/x and that stuff worked really awesome
not sure why i have not ever had it done again

i use the rain/x lattitude wiper blades
just had to buy a new one guess i wore the old one out so much over the last 2 years that it just broke right off the arm lol
but hey
id rather spend 20.00 per blade and them last 2 years then pay
7 dollars for each and have to replace them every 6 to 12 months

·
Registered
1 Posts
ThumperPup said:
True that love it or hate it
i know i hate liver where on the other hand my father will go to the PALM and ask if he can have liver and onions LMAO

I actualy want to get the rain/x stuff again i only ever used it once want to say about 8 years back in 2004 i think it was
NTB had a special 14.99 and they would treat the window with the rain/x and that stuff worked really awesome
not sure why i have not ever had it done again

i use the rain/x lattitude wiper blades
just had to buy a new one guess i wore the old one out so much over the last 2 years that it just broke right off the arm lol
but hey
id rather spend 20.00 per blade and them last 2 years then pay
7 dollars for each and have to replace them every 6 to 12 months
I have and 02 sts, and I have the option on the control switch too use rainsense should be the same on yours.

·
Registered
7,700 Posts
I have and 02 sts

----------

I have and 02 sts, and I have the option on the control switch too use rainsense should be the same on yours.
the option you have is to have it turned on or not turned on automaticly when it sense moisture wet rain or water spray

how ever you can't control exactly how it moves when it decideds its time to move faster or slower
you can choose to have it more sensitive or less sensitive

1 - 16 of 16 Posts