Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Cadillac Deville Sedan
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In order to reach my defect alternator, I have to remove the radiator first. Manual says I have to disable air bag sensor. My question is if I disconnected battery, do I still have to disable the air bag sensor? Thanks a lot!

·
Registered
333 Posts
support the car well on stands it is heavy, disconnect the battery neg side first. no need to remove rad. remove access panel under alt,splash cover between body and power train cradle remove right fan place thin wood panel aganst back side of rad remove alt. you can lower pt cradle at the front for more space, careful not to far. carefully work the alt out after removing the bolts yes it is snug but is the easest way.sts96

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
Technically I would advise you to follow every published safety precaution in the world.
Personally I just disconnect the battery and wait a few minutes.
With no power, unless you abuse the sensors there should be no risk of deployment. Common sense and not using a hammer should keep you safe. ;)

·
Registered
1998 Cadillac Deville Sedan
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you! Thank you!
I took the alternator out and dismissed it. I found lots of oil and dirt in it. The brushes look good. I guess the dirt caused all the problems. It might just need a clean.

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
We don't even rebuild them anymore. There are no parts available from GM to even do it if I am not mistaken.
They usually just give up and quit.

Glad to hear you got it out safely ;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts