Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have searched all over and can not find any data on how to clear the "Security problem, car may not restart" message on my 1998 Eldorado. I tried the three times of hit starter, wait for security light to clear, turn off wait five minutes routine, no help. Have disconnected battery for two minutes..

The error code is B2711. "Open/shorted pellet after good key,,,have switched keys (if it was a pellet problem, I should think the security wait three minutes message would have happened....).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As I mentioned in my original posting, I did switch keys (used my other key). If it was pellet problem, I would think the wait three minute message would have appeared...
I went back through the old postings, and see where a similar problem resulted in the base problem being broken wiring in the ignition switch assembly. I may well do away with that system by installing a permanent resistor in the wires leading out of the steering assebly. Does anyone off hand know the wire colors I would be looking for?
Thanks.
((Of course, even then, I still have the orginal problem of getting rid of the error message. Clearing codes doesn't do it...))

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
I think it is a pair of orange wires, pretty thin. You have to measure the resistance of your key to determine the value of the resistor.

If you search the web for VATS bypass or something with VATS repair you should find detailed instructions.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay folks. I will answer my own question now...
The code CAN BE CLEARED by the usual CLEAR CODES path. My problem is that the error was STILL HAPPENING, thus the error kept getting reset.
I have now done the VATS bypass with a 1500 ohm resistor (a "kluge" of several in parallel to equal nearly exactly 1500, my pellet resistance), and once I did that, I cleared the code, and it stayed clear. I was able to see the intermittent nature of the connections in the key cylinder assembly by using the IPC inputs mode... wiggle the key and the value went from 0 to X and back and forth... A little less secure theft-wise, but more secure in being able to start when needed to "get the heck outa here"!!
THanks for all the input, and the wires were white, as near as I could tell standing on my head, but in a seperate little tubing and very small as you had said.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
vicyingst said:
Okay folks. I will answer my own question now...
The code CAN BE CLEARED by the usual CLEAR CODES path. My problem is that the error was STILL HAPPENING, thus the error kept getting reset.
I have now done the VATS bypass with a 1500 ohm resistor (a "kluge" of several in parallel to equal nearly exactly 1500, my pellet resistance), and once I did that, I cleared the code, and it stayed clear. I was able to see the intermittent nature of the connections in the key cylinder assembly by using the IPC inputs mode... wiggle the key and the value went from 0 to X and back and forth... A little less secure theft-wise, but more secure in being able to start when needed to "get the heck outa here"!!
THanks for all the input, and the wires were white, as near as I could tell standing on my head, but in a seperate little tubing and very small as you had said.
I believe the problem is in the switch itself, not the key switch but the switch at the base of the steering column. The contacts (internal) get dirty/corroded thus not allowing the proper input. The resister bypass method is a band-aid that fools the computer but allows any key that can turn the switch to start the car.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am having this problem. I get the "CAR MAY NOT RESTART" message, and I get code B2711. The car does restart (thus far).

I tried a new key, but it didn't help.

Now I have a printed diagnostic procedure for code B2711. I got this from a mechanic.

I do not think the procedure is very well-written. For example, it requires taking resistance readings, and gives instructions like "do this if resistance is greater than 20 ohms and do that if resistance is not greater than 20 ohms."

No specific mention is made of open conditions. I am encountering an open condition (infinite ohms) taking the resistance reading requested in step 2 of the procedure.

If I treat the open condition as a very high reading and attempt to follow the procedure, it tells me to replace the ignition key, which does not help.

I also find the way the wires are identified in the procedure to be confusing. Step #2 mentions a white/black and purple/white wire. These wire colors are actually the colors of the wires on the other side of the harness from the lock cylinder. It is the wires that connect to the white/black and purple/white wires that actually lead to the lock cylinder. These are the thin wires already mentioned in this thread.

I really think the problem is the lock cylinder... would the open condition across those thin wires indicate this??

Step #1 is the IPC Diagnostic System Check and I don't have the procedure for that... does anyone know the URL for that one?

·
Registered
6 Posts
In regard to my post a moment ago, here is the procedure I am following:

1. If IPC diagnostic check was performed, go to the next step...

2. Insert key into ignition switch. Disconnect black 48-pin connector C202 (located... near the base of the steering column). Using DVOM, check resistance between harness connector C202 terminals E12 (white/black) and E/13 (purple/white). If resistance is less than 20 ohms, go to next step. If resistance is not less than 20 ohms, go to step 4.

Etc...

Am I crazy (see my last post)?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have this exact same problem after my battery went dead with the radio playing. Have tried both keys and same problem. What are the chances you can post the printed diagnostic procedure for code B2711. You got from the mechanic.

·
Cadillac Technician
11,051 Posts
The repair is to replace the ignition lock cylinder.
Have them make you two new keys.
There are 2 tiny white wires, which are wrapped in a larger orange insulation covering, that come out of the column. They wear out over time and break up in the steering column near the switch from normal use.
Bypassing the VATS just makes your car more stealable.
Make sure the new keys are cut to match the new cylinder but have the same pellet code as the old key.

As soon as this is fixed the codes will clear themselves.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
7 Participants
ewill3rd