Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Man, I just got new stock exhaust over a year ago and already it looks like shit. Any way to clean off the black/red/brown gunk on my mufflers and tips?? Anyone swap out the old tips for new ones?

·
Registered
59 Posts
The mufflers(original) on my Eldo weren't looking too good. I used denatured alcohol and a fine scotch-brite pad to clean them. Then, I sprayed them with a high-temp-semi gloss black. If you want them to look like stainless, there is a high-temp stainless pigmented paint, that has fine stainless steel particles, in it. I have used the stainless paint on my Z-28 exhaust system. It still looks new(1973 model). AS for the tips, I "borrowed" a fine pot cleaning pad from the kitchen(didn't want to scratch the finish). and used it with the alky to clean the tips. I put on some polish(NU-Finish), on the cleaned tips, they look new. The tips are welded on, so if yours won't clean up, try E-Bay for some new ones. Good luck...

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
7,658 Posts
see what you can wipe off first with a towel and some window cleaner. Then start scrubbing. You can get some stainless polish to shine them up once you have it cleaned up. You could probably go to an automotive store and the stuff you use to clean wheels would work good.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
I use "00" steel wool on that kind of stuff. If you spray window cleaner on and hit it with the steel wool it works great. We also have this stuff at the shop called " Blue Away" That is very effective at removing heat related discoloration from chrome and stainless. The wool will also take off minor rust and stuff if it's not too deep!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Chuck, I didn't disconnect the mufflers. I just cleaned what I could see. But, hey, That's an idea. Take the suckers off, and while you're at it, you could clean up the underside of the floor pan(trunk pan?) as well. Now that would be a thorough clean job. I guess I like the Alky to clean stuff cause it reminds me of dragsters and one of my "other" fun time money pits....Nitro powered on-road/off road RC cars. WAAaaaaaaaaa/shiftWAAAaaaaaaaaa---42,000 RPM later, you're there... I know, off topic...I'm done

·
Registered
59 Posts
I think it evaporates faster than the alky, but probably with less residue. Also, I think the acetone is harder on the skin. You do wear rubber gloves, right???LOL

·
Registered
04 CTSV 500rwhp, 96 FTS-V T56 previously, 95 T56 Impala SS
433 Posts
I can second the steel wool. I use the 000 or 0000 stuff though on my chrome and glass... Works wonders and no scratches. :)

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
I can't believe nobody knows to use carb cleaner on it. The stuf cuts through carbon like it's nothing and leaves nothing but bright metal behind. I would wax them afterwards though.

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
7,658 Posts
Never heard that one, but makes sense, if it can cut through carb stuff it should be able to get through carbon.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Oh! Yeah....I forgot to mention that! I use Carb cleaner or Brake cleaner all the time....Sorry about that Chief!

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Gumout Carb. cleaner or Berrymans Chemtool spray or BrakeKleen or any number of other brands available at your local auto parts store in the cleaning section.

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
Carb cleaner is far stronger than Brake cleaner for getting carbon deposits off. You can buy it in any parts store. You can also use throttle body cleaner too. If you use brake cleaner, it will leave less residue than carb cleaner and dries very quickly, but just doesn't cut the crud as well.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Chuck, if you have "carbon" on the outside of your 1 year old mufflers, they might be shot. I can see where "carbon" looking gunk would be on the inside of your tips. If it's on the outside of the tips, does it burn a lot of oil, smoke like crazy. Where's all the "carbon" coming from?

·
Registered
59 Posts
That's what I thought!!!!! I was trying to understand how carb cleaner would come into play as per your question. BTW nice looking ride! I got a spoiler on mine too, but it has a LED light strip in it. I got it from Roman Chariot in Cleveland.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts