Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
CTS 3.6L 2004
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was having a hard time starting my car. It will take several attempts cranking my car before it will turn over. Once my car started - I will put it in Reverse or Drive and will get a hard knock jerk. And while driving - it will act like it wants to cut off or knock jerk when the gear changes. O.K so my brain went to work and I decided to take control and NOT wait on a mechanic and my husband had a regional business meeting. - So I made a big girl decision to fix my own car. This lady is ready to get my hands dirty. So I changed both Camshaft and Crankshaft all by myself. And this how I did it.

HOW TO CHANGE THE BK1 AND BK2 CAMSHAFT SENSORS.
1. There are four camshaft sensors. 2 on the driverside and 2 on the passenger side of engine. Bank 1 outer and Bank 2 inner. I'm not sure what is what so I replace all four. Each sensor cost me $34.00 each.

2. I used a 10mm wrench -( I'm a lady so I'm unsure the correct name of tool I used - In my husband tool box I found a hand held and it had a circle on the end of it)

3. On the driver side of engine - The two sensors are directly behind the steering wheel fluid filler. I did not have to remove the steering wheel fluid filler container. Each sensor had one bolt holding it in. And the sensors also had a wire attach to it. I used a flat head to push the wire thing to detach it from the sensors. Then I used the tool to take off the one bolt. I had to use the flat head to pull my sensor out. And I replaced both sensors. Job taking me 10mins.

4. On the passenger side - I had to first remove the big metal heating shield. Its located at the front of engine. It looks like two big clamps side by side on this shield. You do not have to remove the clamps. Keep those on. There are four bolts holding the heating shield in place. Remove the four bolts. The four bolts are located at each corner like a square shape metal.

5. Once remove the heating shield. I had to remove the metal piece that it was attach to. You will need to first remove the two wires on top of it. Using the same 10mm tool. Then it has two bigger bolts. Its like two or three size bigger than 10mm. But the screws were much longer. Easily to remove. Both bolts were located on the bottom each corner side of metal piece. Move it out of your way and you will see the two sensors.

6. Just like step 3 - remove the one bolt holding each sensor and replace them. Total time - around 20mins.

HOW TO REMOVE THE CRANKSHAFT POSITION SENSOR

1. WARNING FOR LADIES - IF YOU NEVER SEEN YOUR HUSBAND PROTECT HIMSELF WHILE UNDER A CAR - PLEASE DON'T ATTEMPT.

2. The crankshaft position sensor I only had to purchase one. It cost me $45.00 with tax.

3. Tools used - Car jack - 10mm wrench - And spare tires for protection just in case the car were to fall. I used my husbands spare tire from his Escalade. - And a lamp for good vision under the car

4. First put on your emergency brake. Then jack up the car all the way up on the passenger side of car. Once you have the car jacked up and the vechicle supported - case of emergency - its time to go under the car.

5. The crankshaft postion sensor was located near the upper engine behind a heater shield. There is one bolt holding it in - And good news its a 10mm. So use the same tool for camshaft sensors. I was not able to remove the crankshaft sensor with the heating shield still in place.

6. Remove only one side of the heating shield. I only had to use my hands and turn the thin circle metal piece off the screw to successfully remove the heating shield.

7. I did not detach the wire connected to the crankshaft. I only remove the bolt and then pull the crankshaft in a outter and then pulled up - to get it out of the socket. Once hangin down I then detach the wire and replace the crankshaft position sensor. 30 mins.

8. NOW ALL FOUR CAMSHAFTS AND ONE CRANKSHAFT SENSORS HAD BEEN REPLACED. I PUT MY KEY IN THE IGNITION AND WAA LAAA!!!!!! MY CAR WORKS! I TOOK MY CTS FOR A TEST DRIVE AND WAA LAAA!!!!!! NO KNOCK JERKING AND NO JERK WHEN IT CHANGES GEARS!!!! I CALLED MY HUSBAND AND TOLD HIM WHAT I DID - HIS CONCERNS "You better not touch my tools" Sorry Babe - a woman gotta do what a woman gotta do. But he proud of me....... I hope this post help others

·
Registered
2005 CTS 3.6, 2016 Malibu 1.5T
359 Posts
Old post bringing it back up, Recently I had my flex-plate replaced, and within 2 days the car would crank and start over just fine. I had a sound system in the car that I just removed, I disconnected the battery cable and reconnected it,
Now it usally cranks fine but in some occasions the car will crank and it will sort of lock, my lights dim and flicker I simply retry and it cranks normally with no issues.

Could this be the battery? I already tried reseting the connection. or could it be related to these camshaft sensors. Also I have no idea if the jerking when changing into reverse was fixed but I doubt it was.

·
Registered
2004 CTS 3.6 Cold Air Intake
1 Posts
You are amazing, I'm in love!!! Excellent job, my car threw a crankshaft sensor code today and this helps. Thanks! Jon

·
Registered
3 Posts
I need help on my 06 cadillac CTS 2.8L. Crankshaft Position Sensor location. If someone have pictures or videos please help me out. I have looked every where. Obviously I am looking over it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts