Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1993 Sedan Deville
7 Posts
What do I have to do to get to the lower radiator hose on a 93 deville? It is impossible to reach so what do I have to remove to get to it

Hey guys,

How do I get to the lower radiator hose to replace it? Same for the water pump.

Please help!

·
Registered
1991 Cadillac Sedan deVille
591 Posts
Re: Changing lower radiator hose on a 93

Removing the fans should help, but the area just has very limited space.

·
Registered
1979 Coupe deVille, 1995 Sedan DeVille (sold)
1,846 Posts
Re: Changing lower radiator hose on a 93

It could be different on your body style, but on my '95 (also 4.9L), I've found it's easiest from above. I have the clamp oriented so I can get it loose with a really long screwdriver from above.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,453 Posts
Re: How to change lower radiator hose adn water pump on 93 Deville

1993 Deville - 4.9 engine ?? Probably some How-to advice in Discussions, Item specific, Cadillac Cech Tips.

If no one else chimes in, try to Google something like "cadillac forums 1993 deville 4.9 radiator hose replacement" and "cadillac forums 1993 deville water pump replacement" or something similar.

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,270 Posts

Hey guys,

How do I get to the lower radiator hose to replace it? Same for the water pump.

Please help!
==============================
multiple posts on the same subject is frowned upon - :tisk:
and makes following them difficult -

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,453 Posts

Duplicate threads from same forum merged. Please do not post multiple threads on the same problem.

·
Registered
1993 Sedan Deville
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

I replaced the bottom radiator hose, filled with water, ran and tested, no leak. Ugh! drained water
and added coolant. Now the s.o.b. is leaking again! I can see the coolant leaking from behind (toward rear) of
the hose on the engine side on the bottom. It is a slow stream that streams onto the a/c compressor and
drips down. I had to take the hose off this a.m. and reattach due to leak. The leak stopped. The hose is
seated correctly and the clamp is not twisted. Like I said, I filled with plain water, ran it and it did not leak.
Drained the water from the top radiator hose with engine running. Replaced with almost a gallon of coolant.
Turned on the engine and the leak reappeared. Now what? I cleaned everything well before reattaching the
bottom hose, lubricated. Can't see the leak exactly even with a mirror and flashlight. Now what?

·
Registered
1992 Fleetwood S&S Hearse, 1993 Buick Roadmaster
567 Posts
It may be a hose further up on the engine that is leaking. Or possibly it is the water pump. I'd suggest letting it dry, getting a friend and a couple flash lights, and when you start the car, let the friend to to track exactly where the water is coming from. Leaks are enough to drive you insane, especially if you are 100% sure it is coming from location #1, but it is in fact just running to that area from location #2. Having a second set of eyes look at the problem can be an enormous help. Maybe the friend will have more luck with it.

----------

I posted the link to an old thread here. Maybe some of the information in it will be helpful. Sorry I don't really have any other good advice.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-deville-1985-2005-including-1985/266901-92-deville-leaks-water-2.html

·
Registered
1993 Sedan Deville
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks ratmonster. 2 sets of eyes have looked for it. You just can't get a mirror in at the right angle to view.
I have tried from the top and from below. If it was the gasket, there should have been a trail leading from
it to the point where I found it at the hose that's located above the a/c compressor? There was no trail
from above or behind the hose. If the water pump needs a new gasket, then it won't get done. I am un-
employed and my husband only gets soc. sec. but the gov't thinks we are rolling in dough. We don't qualify
for assistance. Lost my 14 1/2 year job 2 years ago. Only had a couple temp jobs and my unemployment
just ran out. They gave me a whole $9.00...whooppeeeeee.... I do most of the work on the vehicles while
my husband gives me instruction. Just checked, it quit dripping...ha ha ha... Murphy's Law keeps hitting us
time after time after time... Thanks again!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts