Cadillac Owners Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1990 Fleetwood
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK this is very frustrating as I have not only recharged my a/c myself for years -I have installed a/c myself from junkyard parts in 2 vehicles! So I aint no dummy! That said I have never encountered this issue!
My a/c digital read out is on ECON and wont switch to AUTO- in econ (for fresh air intake) the compressor wont kick in so it wont suck in the R12 !
Does anyone know how to reset the a/c control so AUTO stays on and the compressor kicks on?
Frustrating as Hell!

·
Registered
98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance
7,763 Posts
The low freon code has to be cleared, didn't say what year but guessing early 90s since not r134a.
A quick battery disconnect should work also.

·
Registered
2001 eldorado,2008 DTS,2005 XLR, ','95 eldo,' ,'11CTS-V,'66 corvair.'03 deville,'00 deville
2,316 Posts
Make sure you have enough Freon in the system, or it'll kick back to ECON.
You have about one minute to get enough Freon in before it kicks.

·
Registered
1990 Fleetwood
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Make sure you have enough Freon in the system, or it'll kick back to ECON.
You have about one minute to get enough Freon in before it kicks.
I have 2 cans - hoping that will be enough?
Any other way to reset other than battery disconnect?
Thanks again for the quick response and help!
Its darn hot here in Florida with no a/c =86 at noon!

·
Registered
1990 Fleetwood
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes. Pull the DTC's and clear them via the onboard diagnostics using the climate control buttons. Probably quicker and easier to just pull battery power if you are unfamiliar with how the system works.
thanks for the info -i will try the battery disconnect first and hope that works!
I will be under the hood today! appreciate it!

·
Registered
1990 Fleetwood
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for the info -i will try the battery disconnect first and hope that works!
I will be under the hood today! appreciate it!
UPDATE: so i managed to get 1 can of R12 into the system - got in - turned on a/c -started to get cool but before i could get out of my gated retirement community=about `1/2mile- the a/c switched the ECON again!
how many cans of R12 should it take?

·
Registered
2000 Deville Base, 2019 Corvette GS
1,481 Posts
That's a great guide, so much so I saved it. Have you ever checked it's accuracy? I only ask because it's saying 00-01 Deville is 32 oz and 02-05 is 35oz. I always hear on here that the bible for the Deville was 35.2 oz 00-05.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts