Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2006 cts
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
my fuel gauge is down,the security light is on,engine does not start and the is theftlock on my dic.i changed my immobilizer and the BCM but still the car won't start so i will be grateful if someone can help me bypass all the security system so my car can start

·
Registered
2012 CTS
29 Posts
I recently replaced my ECM.

When you put the key in the ignition and turn the key to ON, not cranking the car, does the little Orange Lock appear in the bottom left corner of the instrument panel?

·
Registered
2004 CTS 3.6, 2004 SRX 4.6 AWD, 2012 CTS 3.6 DI AWD
1,229 Posts
Another thread about the ecm issue.

But pull starter relay, with key I on position, short the upper left terminal and the lower right terminal and hold until engine starts

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
when i turn the ignition on the lock sign(orange) appears
Thats fine. Turn the key as far as you can and then jump the terminals in where the relay goes. i sent you the pm of the link to the picture of it.

I wouldnt recommend you continue to do this, start it and drive to the dealer

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
His point is for you to have your CTS relearn the chip that is in your key.

KOT
I'm not the one with the issue. It's his thread, but felt like he was bouncing around. He asked how to bypass it and I told him and his response was the orange lock thing again

·
Registered
'93 SedanDeville 60 Special
232 Posts
my fuel gauge is down,the security light is on,engine does not start and the is theftlock on my dic.i changed my immobilizer and the BCM but still the car won't start so i will be grateful if someone can help me bypass all the security system so my car can start
To answer the title of your post, yes VATS/security can be disabled. When I am tuning the PCM I ask the owner about this, if they want this off it can be done with a tune. Also turn off the limp mode. Older cars get and harder to find parts I rather turn the above off.

First I would see if the ign key is the problem. It has a small resister pellet that can get dirty or too warn out. GM only used 15 of them as listed below. If you have a spare ign key try that first.

Wanting to know what code your pellet is use a Ohm meter with the 2 probes on each side of the pellet
( do not touch the metal of probes when doing this)
Your Ohm reading should match one of the 15. If so for later use write and store this code as if needing a new key you'd know which one to buy to get cut.

Of course your immobilizer might be the cause so remove it out of the system first.

Further below

<B>Pellet Resistance
Code Ohms
1 - 402
2 - 523
3 - 681
4 - 887
5 - 1130
6 - 1470
7 - 1870
8 - 2370
9 - 3010
10 - 3740
11 - 4570
12 - 6040
13 - 7500
14 - 9530
15 - 11800 /<B>

Check to see if any DTC (error codes) are being reported and if so find out what they mean but any code starting with a P means with powertrain (PCM) or starts with a B for BCM)

The BCM is the main commander of controllers which are connected to a network. Any time PCM or BCM is faulty or replaced then a relearn between the PCM and BCM must be done so that they sync up with the same security seed code.

In just opening the drivers door the security light must flash. If it stays hard on is saying the 2 controllers are not matching that seed code.

Normally with older GM cars like a 2006 the process that was listed below is needed

Battery fully charged as the relearn process is just over 30 minutes with key on, engine off.
Make sure everything else is off, even doors closed so not drawing the battery down

Use some watch or stopwatch, going to do this process three times in a row

1 cycle is key on, engine off for 10 minutes only then turn key off for just 5 seconds
quickly then do cycle 2 and then cycle 3 so just over 30 minutes of relearn time

Towards the end of cycle three the security light should start flashing and may trip a DTC like
P1638
If light is flashing then go ahead and try to start,
if engine runs do a idle relearn of 5 minutes after the coolant temps is up to normal

·
Super Moderator
'05 CTS-V
8,246 Posts
I'm not the one with the issue. It's his thread, but felt like he was bouncing around. He asked how to bypass it and I told him and his response was the orange lock thing again
You realize you're not the only one participating in this thread, right? 06CTS asked if the orange lock thing appears, the OP responded that it does. How is that hard to follow?

·
Registered
2014 CTS 3.6 Premium, 1999 Corvette,370 RWHP & other mods
1,148 Posts
There are 2 parts to the security system, the security programming in the BCM and the security programming in the ECM. If you replace the ECM sometimes the security programming has to be repeated for it to take. A key relearn procedure isn't enough in a lot of cases.

Bill

·
Registered
06 CTS Sport/Luxury package
9,815 Posts
To answer the title of your post, yes VATS/security can be disabled. When I am tuning the PCM I ask the owner about this, if they want this off it can be done with a tune. Also turn off the limp mode. Older cars get and harder to find parts I rather turn the above off.

First I would see if the ign key is the problem. It has a small resister pellet that can get dirty or too warn out. GM only used 15 of them as listed below. If you have a spare ign key try that first.
Not sure if the PassKey III+ can be disabled via a tune. However, I can tell you this, there are no resistor pellets in our keys. Its all done via an RFID tag inside the plastic part of the key.

KOT

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Ok, I am officially confused because of how many if the ecm threads there are recently

KOT and AAIIC you're right, I thought 06CTS was the OP but this one isn't his thread. The other one is.

Their problems are the same if you ask me. And as I suggested to 06CTS in the other thread, based on my experience it may take more than 1 ecm for these to get fixed.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts