Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
STS
786 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got permission from Rolex (who is a moderator) to post this.

I think it will be helpful to a lot of members here.

It is ILLEGAL to burn a disc for sale, trade, or to make money or personal gain in ANY WAY POSSIBLE. You can only burn a copy for YOURSELF FOR BACKUP PURPOSES ONLY. You cant sell trade or give one to anyone. You cant do ANYTHING but use it for BACKUP PURPOSES ONLY.

FEDERAL LAW PROHIBITS PROFITING IN ANY WAY FROM COPING A COPYRIGHTED DISC. THE VERY ONLY SINGLE REASON YOU CAN COPY ONE IS FOR PERSONAL BACKUP PURPOSES ONLY.

What I do is I burned a copy and I use that copy in the NAV. I keep the original put up in a safe place.

Now that that's said let's let this thread be helpful for those who want to do the same as me and let's not start putting a bunch of crap on here that will get this deleted.

The NAV discs can be easily burned so you can keep a copy in your NAV and put the original up so you dont have to worry about it getting borke, scratched, messed up, or stolen.

You will need: GOOD QUALITY!!! DOUBLE LAYER (DL) DVD discs (-R or +R doesnt matter) [DVD -R DL OR DVD +R DL] I USE VERBATIM.
The following programs are free: IMG BURN
CD Burner XP
You will also need to make sure your DVD burner is capable of burning double layer discs. I'm pretty sure that most all now a days are. If not they can be bought for $40 and up.

Steps:

1) Put your NAV disc in your DVD burner
2) Open CD Burner XP
3) Click "Data Disc"
4) Navigate in the left top pane which lets you select files. Navigate to your DVD drive where you inserted your NAV disc. (Mine is under "computer - DVD RW Drive G")
5) When you click on the DVD drive folders and files will come up in the pane to the right (top).
6) Select ALL of the files in that pane and then click "ADD".
7) After they are added click "file" then "Save compilation as ISO file..."
8) Make sure you save it where you can find the file. I suggest on your desktop. It will take a minute to save it
9) After you save it exit CD Burner XP and open IMG Burn.
10) Insert your blank DVD DL into your DVD writer drive.
11) Select "Write files to disc".
12) Make sure where it says destination that your correct DVD drive is selected (if you have more than one).
13) On the top where it says "Please select a file" click the icon that has a magnifying glass on it and select your ISO file.
14) Where it says settings select a speed of 1x and then click the book icon to the right of it.
15) Select the brand of your DVD drive and then where it says "Change For" select "Drive For DVD +R DL Media".
16) Then right under that where it says "New Setting" select "DVD-ROM".
17) Then click "Change".
18) Then click the Icon that has a file and then an arrow pointing to a disc. This is the burn disc icon.

There you have it you have just burned a copy of your NAV disc so you don't have to worry about buying a new $200 one if it gets messed up or stolen.

Basically what you are doing is you are inserting your NAV disc and creating an ISO image of the disc.
Then you are using IMG burn to tell your DVD burner to burn the disc as a DVD-ROM disc.
You have to burn it on a DL disc because the NAV disc is close to 8 GB.
You have to burn it at 1x or as close as possible so that it burns all that huge amount of data as best as possible.

There are other programs that will work but you must accomplish the same things with them and a lot of programs don't do it. these are the easiest programs to use that I have found and they are free.

If anyone has any questions feel free to ask.

PLEASE DONT ABUSE THIS INFORMATION. DONT RUIN IT FOR THE REST OF US.

·
Registered
STS
786 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh yea,

If you are running it already, Windows 7 has ISO image support built in. No need to use CDBurnerXP. I have Roxio 2010 which is a $100 all in one media program but I still found it much easier to use CDBurnerXP to create the ISO image. But like I said above, you can use any program you want as long as you create an ISO image from the NAV disc and then burn it to a DL disc in DVD-ROM format.

The NAV system only accepts discs (NAV MAP discs or DVDs) which are in DVD-ROM format. Most (but not all) DVD burners can burn in DVD-ROM format now a days, you just have to know to set the burning program to that setting.

·
Registered
2002 Cadillac Seville SLS
4 Posts
!!!!LAC_STS!!!! do u have the software/firmware 19115256 for 2002 cadillac seville??? my car has been dead for 3 days now cause the navigation needs the firmware....can u please send it to me or attach the file so i can download the firmware?!? Thank u!!

·
Registered
STS
786 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, for one I have a 2005-2010 series STS. I have no clue about the older Seville's. And two are you talking about the NAV's map software or the actual NAV firmware? They are two completely different things.

The map software is "software" which gives the NAV the maps and POI. It is updated every year. I don't know all of the map DVD software that has been released since 2005 for the STS NAV, but that part number doesn't ring a bell.

The firmware is what actually makes the NAV work and tells it what to do and how to do it. The NAV firmware can be obtained from the dealer. They wont actually give it to you but they will update your NAV to the latest for you if they still have the update discs for the Seville.

Either way, whether you are talking about the firmware or the map software, as the original post states, if I did have it it would be illegal for me to distribute it.

The mods here are not too friendly about this subject which is why the thread is worded the way it is.

My suggestion is if you need the firmware, go to the dealer. They may let you copy the discs to your computer if you have a laptop and know how. They let me.

If you need the map software then try to get one off of eBay or somewhere. Maybe post a wanted ad in the classifieds of the Seville part of this forum.

Wish I could help more.

·
Registered
2006 Cadillac STS 1SC
383 Posts
it would be a bummer if someone's 2010 disc got lost or scratched before they had a chance to back it up... =/

·
Registered
2006 STS 1SG & 2007 STS 1SE
2 Posts
Wife got a (included in MSRP) 2010 disk set. I haven't noticed any difference from my 2008 version.

If some forum member has a very old one, we are willing to play leap frog. We will send you her old disk if you give some other member your old one. The idea is to help out, not to profit. I suppose the old disks aren't worth much on Ebay anymore, but be real. With some planning, this could help members!

I am offering only a free OEM disk, Version 3.00, GM p/n: 15924195U. Copying proprietory software is illegal and not fair to the owner of the intellectual property. (If I wrote a great program, I'd get mad if someone stole it from me, but this is original.) If you're willing to give your old disk to another member, send me a private message.

I'd prefer it not end up in a stranger's hand, so I hope to put it in the mail to a member on Monday! I'll even pay the postage!

Support this forum!

·
Registered
Cadillac STS 2005
811 Posts
ya stealing is bad, but the cost of the disc are insane. soon as i figure out how to output my motorola droid's display to the input of the navi unit, good by stock navi use and hello free and always up to date google maps. i swear, gm could make a killing if they found a way to sell monthly access to internet through the navi and piped bing or google maps to it, they would make a killing, people would pay. so upsetting to see ford standard vehicles have more bang for buck then the caddys.

·
Registered
STS
786 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have a jailbroken program for my iPhone 3GS called ScreenSplitr. It lets me clone my iphones screen no matter what app I am using onto anything I pkug my Iphone up to. it is cool zooming in on my Iphone in my lap and seeing the maps or seeing the internet on the STS NAV screen.

I dont use the maps though. I tried it but I am very profeccient at using the NAV and dont have any problems with it.

I have over $1000 Garmin with all the bells and whistles such as 3D buildings, MSN Direct, Weather radar, Eco Trip, etc. I dont really use it anymore which kinda sucks. The only reason I get it out anymore is if I am driving to Miami I update my trapster database on it and use it to see where all the speed traps are. Allagator alley is Americas Autobaughn.

I wish I could put the Trapster database on the STS NAV. I have cloned my iphones Trapster program to the NAV but it is a PITA.

·
Registered
Cadillac STS 2005
811 Posts
haha, i have trapster as well, i wonder if iphone will keep that once the big version 4 comes out. i just dont get how car companies make you spend hundreds when everything else is practical free now a days.

·
Registered
STS
786 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Will they keep what when OS 4 comes out?

Trapster??? Yes they already have it for Ipad and are always very quick to release updates when new OS's or OS updates come out.

Jailbreak? Yes all of the jailbreak teams have already confirmed and proved that they have jailbroken OS4. They did it hours after it came out.

As for the jailbreak. They are probably going to release a jailbreak for OS 3.2 (what the Ipad is on) shortly after the 3G Ipads come out. They have had it for a while but didn't want to release it until the 3G's come out because Apple would just patch it and then the 3G's wouldn't be able to use the exploit.

They have already released the jailbreak for OS4 to developers of JB apps so they can have they're apps ready when OS 4 goes public.

Lots of people are scared to JB because of the bs Apple puts out there like saying that you can brick your iphone if you mess it up. Thats complete bs. You can brick it but bricked means that it is in resort mode. Usually you can just wither turn it off then on a few times to kick it out of recovery mode or download and run the free program Ibricker and it will take it out of restore mode.

If all else fails all you do is hook it up to Itunes and then restore it back to factory settings.

Blackra1n is the easiest JB out there right now. It take seconds to do it and works very well.

If you are interested in JB you Iphone let me know I can tell you how. It is very easy.

The JB apps I use the most are:

Backrounder - lets you run programs in the background (multitasking).
3G Unrestrictor - lets you unrestricted apps that make you be connected to Wi-Fi (sling player, Itunes, App Store, etc) Makes it so you can download anything on Itunes without Wi-Fi.
Screen Splittr - Lets you clone your Iphones screen on any device that you can hook up to with an Iphone (or Ipod) A/V cable.
IUSB - makes a part of your Iphones hard drive a sep partition so you can use it as a portable USB drive.
Tethering & My-Wi - Tethering enables tethering on your Iphone so you can share your internet connection with other devices like a laptop or Ipad. My-Wi makes your Iphone a Wi-Fi hotspot when tethering is enabled. So then when you use your laptop you just go to your Wi-Fi connections and you will see your Iphone listed and you can connect to it.

·
Registered
Cadillac STS 2005
811 Posts
Will they keep what when OS 4 comes out?

Trapster??? Yes they already have it for Ipad and are always very quick to release updates when new OS's or OS updates come out.

Jailbreak? Yes all of the jailbreak teams have already confirmed and proved that they have jailbroken OS4. They did it hours after it came out.

As for the jailbreak. They are probably going to release a jailbreak for OS 3.2 (what the Ipad is on) shortly after the 3G Ipads come out. They have had it for a while but didn't want to release it until the 3G's come out because Apple would just patch it and then the 3G's wouldn't be able to use the exploit.

They have already released the jailbreak for OS4 to developers of JB apps so they can have they're apps ready when OS 4 goes public.

Lots of people are scared to JB because of the bs Apple puts out there like saying that you can brick your iphone if you mess it up. Thats complete bs. You can brick it but bricked means that it is in resort mode. Usually you can just wither turn it off then on a few times to kick it out of recovery mode or download and run the free program Ibricker and it will take it out of restore mode.

If all else fails all you do is hook it up to Itunes and then restore it back to factory settings.

Blackra1n is the easiest JB out there right now. It take seconds to do it and works very well.

If you are interested in JB you Iphone let me know I can tell you how. It is very easy.

The JB apps I use the most are:

Backrounder - lets you run programs in the background (multitasking).
3G Unrestrictor - lets you unrestricted apps that make you be connected to Wi-Fi (sling player, Itunes, App Store, etc) Makes it so you can download anything on Itunes without Wi-Fi.
Screen Splittr - Lets you clone your Iphones screen on any device that you can hook up to with an Iphone (or Ipod) A/V cable.
IUSB - makes a part of your Iphones hard drive a sep partition so you can use it as a portable USB drive.
Tethering & My-Wi - Tethering enables tethering on your Iphone so you can share your internet connection with other devices like a laptop or Ipad. My-Wi makes your Iphone a Wi-Fi hotspot when tethering is enabled. So then when you use your laptop you just go to your Wi-Fi connections and you will see your Iphone listed and you can connect to it.
no no, OS4 is not out yet. the new ipad runs version 3 still. when OS4 comes out. the new agreement is that no applications that are on the iphone can be cross plateform. Meaning that trapster, will have to be re-written exclusively for the iphone and not be used with blackberry and android, or it will be removed from the iphone store. there is more to the os4 then that, but i'd just suggest reading up on it. when OS4 comes out, it will be on Iphone 4G only at first, then released to the 3G phones, touch and pad.

·
Registered
STS
786 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OS 4 is already out for devs. You can even download it and put it on your iPhone but you will need a dev to activate your phone for you. Thats how they have already JB it. It was released to devs the day they announced it. Look on Engadget.co, or Gizmodo.com. They have already released OS4 beta 2. Anyone who pays the $99 for the apple SDK can get OS4 right now. They do it this way like any other OS so people who make apps can get ready for it. Other wise there would be no apps for it for a while when it cam out. You can see a lot about it on any tech news site that reports about apple.

There are so many apps that are cross platform I highly dounbt that every app will have to be iPhone exclusive. Not saying it's not true but I watched the key note and have read about everything there is on it and I haven't read anything about exclusivity anywhere. Something like that would be a huge announcement and it would be everywhere. If I am wrong please point me to something that explains what you are talking about. Think about how many apps for the iPhone are cross platform. There are tons. No way apple will make all of them go exclusive.

And what I was saying about the iPad was that trapster was out for the iPad about a week after it came out. So when OS4 is public they will have trapster for it.

·
Banned
2005 STS4 1SG: GM Acc Lights, Corsa, Platnium Grille, Volant
15,987 Posts
Well I tried twice and all i managed to do was make two pretty coasters...
IDK what the problem is, I cannot complete
15) Select the brand of your DVD drive and then where it says "Change For" select "Drive For DVD +R DL Media".
17) Then click "Change".

I get an error no matter which driver brand I select to modify the "Change For"

·
Registered
STS
786 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well I tried twice and all i managed to do was make two pretty coasters...
IDK what the problem is, I cannot complete
17) Then click "Change".

I get an error no matter which driver brand I select to modify the "Change For"

IMGBURN FAQ/MANUAL

IMGBURN FORUM

IMGBURN FORUM ABOUT DRIVES

I dunno about you brand of burner. I have never heard of it or at least cant remember hearing of it. When I just looked at the forum for IMGburn though I did see a thread about it.

For one you have to make sure your burner supports DVD-ROM. Not all burners do although most (not all) newer ones do.

In the manual it says that most burners are made by the same company and are merely branded. It says that most of them share the same firmware. If you look in the manual it says which brands are all made by which manufacturer. So look at that and see if you can figure out which one you need.

How do you have two coasters if you cant even get past the setting it to DVD-ROM part? You shouldn't have even burned one unless you could set it to DVD-ROM.

The whole point is that you have to burn the image to a DL disc AS A DVD-ROM.

"Instructions:

1. Select the REAL manufacturer of your drive in the 'Drive OEM' drop down box.
2. Type in the ID string of your drive as it is visible within the main program window.

Each ID String should be on it's own line and with no leading/trailing spaces.

Example:

Drive OEM: Samsung
Drive ID String: SONY DVD RW DRU-830A

That is to say, the Sony DRU-830A drive is really a Samsung drive and the program should use Samsung commands to control it."

So what you need to do is MAKE SURE your drive can burn DVD-ROM and then figure out what brand your drive REALLY is. I use the Lite-on settings for my Lite-on drive and the BenQ settings for my HP Lightscribe drive.

If it cant burn DVD-ROMs then you will need another drive.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Wife got a (included in MSRP) 2010 disk set. I haven't noticed any difference from my 2008 version.

If some forum member has a very old one, we are willing to play leap frog. We will send you her old disk if you give some other member your old one. The idea is to help out, not to profit. I suppose the old disks aren't worth much on Ebay anymore, but be real. With some planning, this could help members!

I am offering only a free OEM disk, Version 3.00, GM p/n: 15924195U. Copying proprietory software is illegal and not fair to the owner of the intellectual property. (If I wrote a great program, I'd get mad if someone stole it from me, but this is original.) If you're willing to give your old disk to another member, send me a private message.

I'd prefer it not end up in a stranger's hand, so I hope to put it in the mail to a member on Monday! I'll even pay the postage!

Support this forum!
I know this post been so long ago but did you ever still get rid of that CD you was talkin about sorry to talk to you soon late about it just asking

1 - 16 of 16 Posts