Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Deville
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI, I just bought a 97 Deville, and I love it. The first thing I want to do is add some {{{BASS}}}...

I just bought two Sony Xplod P5 15"s and the 1000W Sony Amp (maybe a 1000 watts a 1/2 an ohm, but anyways...) I know Sony's cheap but i was wondering the best way to set this up. Here are the specs:

AMP:
165 watts RMS x 2 at 4 ohms
400 watts x 1 bridged output at 4 ohms

SUBS:
power range 100-400 watts RMS
peak power handling 1400 watts

thanx

PS: for the box: sealed or ported????

·
Registered
20 Posts
Bridge it at two ohms and get a ported box. I just bought 3 visonik 12s in a band pass box thats ported(1600 watts!). Right now i am waiting for my Hifonics 1600 watt amp to come in so i can add it to the bose on my 1998 eldorado. Good luck

·
Registered
14 Posts
MeanGreenCaddy said:
Bridge it at two ohms and get a ported box. I just bought 3 visonik 12s in a band pass box thats ported(1600 watts!). Right now i am waiting for my Hifonics 1600 watt amp to come in so i can add it to the bose on my 1998 eldorado. Good luck
Does your 98 ELdo have a BOSE system? Mine does, (in fine shape) and I want to keep the head unit and (most if not all of) the factory speakers, and just add some bass. Recommendations, please ? How much will your components total, and are they easy to hook up? Would you recommend this product? http://www.tune-town.com/Cars/stuff/pac_oem1.htm
thx c

·
Registered
20 Posts
My eldorado does have bose. I kept the factorys speakers and added the subs to it. Unless u like alot of bass dont go for more than 2 12's. I running 3 12's right now and i can get my whole car to shake. (I feel sorry for the people who sit in my backseat when i have the subs cranked up.) Subs aren't hard to hook up but the Amplifier can be hard because it can be time consuming. If u have all your equipment just take it to a local car audio shop and they will install everything for about 100 bucks. I would recommend taking it to smaller shop though, they do a better job than places like car toys or tweeters. As for that product you had a link to, I have never seen it before. But you dont need it if you are just goin to add an amp and Subs to the Bose system on your car.

·
Registered
20 Posts
The amp cost me 450 and the sub enclosure was 500 so a little over $1000 total.

·
Registered
730 Posts
sony is just fine. 2 anythings will thump when properly installed and powered! Okay, so you've got400 watts to work with. I'm assuming your subs are 8 ohm subs? If so, wire them in parallel to get your 4 ohms. Get an 8 gauge wiring kit, an inline glass fuse holder, and some good interconnects. BE SURE TO SET YOUR GAINS PROPERLY!!! This is very important! If you need instructions, let me know, and I think I can hunt them up.

Go with a sealed box. They are sooo much easier to build, or cheaper to buy. 2 12s in a sealed box will SLAM!! If you get a ported box, you have to worry about subsonic filters, port noise, and it will really only be louder at the tuning frequency or close to it. A sealed box will have nice tight bass, but will slam all you want with rap, hip/hop, etc.

·
Registered
6 Posts
ported box. I just bought 3 visonik 12s in a band pass box
This all depends on what type of music you are listening too.

Sealed Enclosure - Good all around "tight" bass. Will recover from one beat and play another quickly. Best for rock or someone playing a variety of music.

Ported - Not as tight, if not built correctly, will cause distortion from air coming from ports. Also, allows for more excursion (traveling of sub) and therefore can possibly cause over-excursion...permantly damaging the speaker. Good for "bass music" and music without drums and more midi created bass.

Bandpass - Good for show, nothing else. If you need to squeeze the last little bit of bass out of cheap speakers...it's "ok"...but your speakers are a decent entry level sub. Go for sealed or ported.

·
Registered
14 Posts
guys, thanks Very Much, for sharing your knowledge and experience. It's greatly appreciated. I love this forum !!! I have not yet purchased the upgraded components, so will utilize your advice before proceeding. I guess the biggest question still in my mind is: Will I have to get rid of the Bose speakers in the (back and topside of the ) rear seat (mine's a convertible - by Coach Bldrs) to reroute that wiring to my new amp / subs, .......or does the Bose head unit have an extra set of outputs available -- for adding the new components? Will again try to post a pic of my car, last file was too large. I love this car, just got it about two months ago, chuck !

Attachments

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
Hey, if you are going to buy that combo, you shoud know this:

the sony amp with those specs (new) is the XM-2165GTX... that's the one right?
it works at 165 RMS x 2 at 4 ohms, or 400 x 1 RMS bridged.

your subs are the XS-L151P5, right? rated at 4 ohms, 400W RMS
if that's the case, the best way to set that specific subs with those amps:

each sub goes to one amp channel = 165 W per sub. THAT'S IT! and for those levels of power the best way to go is a ported box.

you cannot wire those subs in parallel, that would give you a 2 ohm resistance, and you would fry the amp (I think it would'n even work, if it has the correct protections, I'm not sure b/c I'm not a sony fan/buyer) .
you could wire them in serie, but that would give u a 8 ohm load, thus reducing the amp output.

and, excuse me, but bandpass boxes are great.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts