Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1996 Eldorado ETC
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got to put 3 oz. of oil into my A/C system. I was told to 'just add it to the line, that's done all the time'.

What I don't know is WHICH hose to add it to?

'96 Eldo

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

·
Registered
98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance
7,345 Posts
May I ask why adding oil and that exact amount? If you changed a component like compressor it should have been added to it.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,792 Posts
:yeah: I believe the oil injectors are sized to the low pressure service port (same one you use to add refrigerant), and for that reason, just like the refrigerant hoses, you cannot put it in the wrong line. The ONLY time you touch the high pressure side is when the system is empty and you are pulling a vacuum.

·
Registered
1996 El Dorado and 1991 Cheyenne Pickup
140 Posts
the question is if the system is under pressure or empty. you'd prefer it to be empty, then you unscrew the valve from either low or high pressure side (looks and unscrews like a tire valve) and fill some oil in with a tiny funnel or such. also a good, if not the best place to fill it in is the dryer, the aluminum "can". undo one of the connections and fill the oil in there (replace o-rings while at it). but if the system is under pressure and you don't want to evacuate, then there are cans with oil/refrigerant mix out there, depending on what type of oil you got in there. older ones use PAG 150, newer PAG 100. not sure if PAG 46 ever was used earlier than 04... you'll need the pressure gauges and hoses to do that job though (system under pressure), and a basic understanding of what you're doing, 250 psi blow up a can quite nicely if you make a mistake...
i'd also be interested in knowing why you want to add oil anyhow, some component got replaced?

·
Registered
1996 Eldorado ETC
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
-System empty/no pressure
-Replaced Compressor and drier
-Oil was stated to be in compressor
-None was added for replacing the other parts
-Was told by installer to add 2-3 ozs for what he replaced
-He's 1500 miles away, so I can't take it back to him
-I wanted to have oil in it before I have it charged for first time

Thanks.

·
Registered
1996 El Dorado and 1991 Cheyenne Pickup
140 Posts
Ok, sounds about right. Would be better though to have the exact amount drained from the old compressor, but 2ish should be ok. Best would be to add oil to compressor suction side and then give it a couple of turns by hand to avoid hydrolock. Suction means into the thicker line. If I'm correct about the design of your system best would be to fill it into the tube going from the dryer to the compressor, remove the huge nut at the dryer for that. O-ring change would be recommendable. Also filling it into the low side service port works, that's the smaller of the schrader valves. Disadvantage here is it'll take some time for the oil to get to the compressor... Ask your guy which oil you should put in there, I'd go with PAG 150.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,792 Posts
I believe PAG 150 is correct.

Was told by installer to add 2-3 ozs for what he replaced
Why in the hell did he not add the oil when doing the job?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts