Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
08 STS4 V8 1SG & 04 SRX4 V8 & 01 Monte SS
5,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This will be a relatively quick how to for anyone that is attempting to make this retrofit happen.

Full frontal shot low beams with fogs on LEDs added to housing attached to parking lights
55w VVME ballasts for projectors 35w DDM ballasts for fog lights

I chose to use the Morimoto Mini H1 bi-xeon projector. I was intending on setting up quad projectors having 4 low beam plus fogs and 4 high beams plus fogs. I was hoping that it was small enough to fit inside the headlight and mount as intended having all 4 of them. This in the end will not work without significant housing modifications this is because the low beam light is mounted on the top of the headlight housing in an over under configuration and the lens cover gets in the way of the lens on the projector forcing an inability to aim the projector.

Low beam on top and high beam on bottom in the above picture when I test mounted there was no way to adjust the beam higher than having the cut off appear only a few feet in front of the car on the ground. I trimmed the shroud as much as I could and the trim on the inside of the housing as well but to no avail. I resorted to installing in the high beam location (this is also the same place GM decided to mount the projector in the 2006 and up models.)
Below is the completed and cleared projector mounted in the high beam spot.

Supplies needed:
1 pair Morimoto Mini H1 projectors w/ shrouds mini gatling
1 pair of ballasts and 1 pair of H1 HID kit lamps
1 Dremel tool
1 heat gun or oven
misc tools for prying lens cover apart

Step 1:
Remove headlights (3 - 10mm bolts one power cord)

Step 2:
Remove hard plastic cover from back of lamp area and drill a hole in it large enough to allow you to insert the rubber grommet to allow you to power your ballasts and to get power to the lamp.

Step 3:
Remove the low and high beam lamps and toss them paying attention to which power cord is going where.

Step 4:
I used a heat gun to loosen the glue holding the lens on but you can use an oven if you like, there is a rubber seal that goes around the top 3 sides of the housing that comes off easily with no heat. There are several clips around the light that can break easily if you are not careful. I started in the bottom front corner where the high beam is for the prying location.

Step 5:
Remove the lamp cover from the high beam lamp (this is the bottom one)

Step 6:
Remove the lamp retention bracket (3 torx bit screws) and you will need to dremel out the entire area inside the outer circle that is there and remove a small amount of the actual hole so that the shaft will fit through. You need to remove the insides of the 9005/6 mounting base so that you have enough threads to get the nut on properly and far enough that you can attach the lamp holder bracket to the end of the MH1.

Step 7:
If you would like to have the clear corners or turn signals now would be the time to remove the amber reflector from the housing, it is held in place by 4 small tabs and can be rather easily removed. There is also an orange colored lens over the turn signal area that is also held in place by 4 long tabs and is a bit more difficult to remove but can be done in the end. You will then want to replace the lamps with amber colored ones or LEDs if you so desire.

Step 8:
Install the Mini H1 I used the large silicone ring and the nut to secure it to the reflector housing. I fed the wires from the solenoid through one of the two mounting holes for the cap that covers the halogen lamp. Then test fit to car to check for rotational alignment once good install the lens again.

Step 9:
For proper low beam use you will want to use a typical headlight relay that takes power directly from the battery to protect your factory wiring.

Step 10:
To use your high beams you will need to change some wiring around but its really easy. Plug the solenoid wires into the high beam power wire that is inside your housing. Then you will need to open the relay center under the hood and find your high beam and low beam relays they are two separate 4 pin relays. You will need to connect a DIODE from pin 85 to pin 85 on both of the relays, if you have fog lights then you can also connect a DIODE from pin 85 on the high beam relay to the fog relay pin 85. The silver band on the DIODE will be closest to the high beam relay. This will keep power going to the low beam and fog lights when you activate your high beams. The cut off shield will be lowered and you will have the high beam output you need.

Now some pics... I for some reason never bothered to take a picture of the cut off though.
All pictures were taken with iPhone 4 in HDR mode

Low beam output with fogs on

High beam output with fogs on

Passenger side housing close up LEDs added to housing attached to parking lights

Full frontal shot low beams with fogs on LEDs added to housing attached to parking lights

·
Registered
2006 STS V Tango int
2,341 Posts
Re: How-to: 2000-2005 Cadillac Deville Mini Morimoto H1 HID Retrofit headlamps

Wow! Those look nice, great work man a must do mod and fairly easy looking to just time consuming loi

·
Registered
2009 Escalade ESV
189 Posts

how much do the projectors cost?

·
Registered
9 Posts

Yeah...this mod has made me decide to definitely go the HID route! I love the look of the LEDs

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks! Here is a shot of the "color flicker" at the cut off it's very exaggerated because of the angle of the snow but looks good when it's flat against any surface.

Sent from my unlocked jailbroken iPhone 4 iOS 4.2.1

·
Registered
2009 Escalade ESV
189 Posts

Thanks! Here is a shot of the "color flicker" at the cut off it's very exaggerated because of the angle of the snow but looks good when it's flat against any surface.

that is beautiful.

can i use my 9006 HIDs inside of this projector?

if not, can i use any projector for my 9006 HIDs?

if not that, do you want to make my hid's like yours for some $$$?
im not too good when it comes to bob vila stuff lol

·
Registered
2007 Cadillac STS-V Black On Black
1,428 Posts

this is great !! i want to do this too !! but i dont have much money or time right now :(

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well as far as I have read you cant use the 9006 base hids in any projector for any retrofit.
I think you might be able to shave down the base of the lamp to have it fit the projectors but there wouldn't be any alignment pins on the lamp base for the lamp to be kept in the right position inside the projector.

I would consider retrofitting your car's headlights but after hitting a car wash I now have some condensation in my driver side headlight. It does go away when the housing warms up but seems to come back when it cools down. I'm 99% sure that this was caused by me taking the housing apart a second time and in a bit of a rush I broke off 2 little tabs that clamp it together. So I hesitate doing them not knowing about possible condensation issues and how the best way to go about doing them. Would it make sense to buy new housings and have me retrofit them or could you be without lights while you and I ship them back and forth?

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Had to bite the bullet and rip the driver side apart again. No issues with passenger side. There was about an ounce of water inside turned it upside down and water poured out of the top corner above turn signal area. Resealed headlight and now we shall see what happens. I'm hoping that I was able to seal it up properly this time. But I also added a large silica gel desiccant pack that came with my led tails for my monte carlo to help remove any moisture that might have remained.

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well after a few washes not a single condensation issue after the reseal.
I have now retrofit the fog lights as well with blazer projectors.

My fog lenses are really pitted up though. Doesn't seem to affect output though.

They give a nice sharp cutoff with a prism like color flicker showing colors from yellow to blue. Looks really nice in person.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
73,446 Posts

Pitted polycarbonate light covers...............get into www.autogeek.net and take a look at their several polishing kits. Even if you cannot polish away all the pits, the action of smoothing the nicks so they reflect less prismatic light will make a world of difference.

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Here are some other pics I took when it was still winter. Not sure how great the pics will look on here. I will have to take some more now that it's summer.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well I went outside and took some more pics. I've also done this retrofit to my 2001 Monte Carlo SS as well.

Attachments

·
Registered
2006 STS V Tango int
2,341 Posts

The headlights look awesome, I'm personally not a fan of the double emblem though

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks!
Yeah I'm on the fence about that too. It was part of the gold package that was on the car when I got it. Preferred color would be black or diamond white with the laydown hood ornament from the night vision package with the night vision setup.

·
Registered
2006 STS V Tango int
2,341 Posts

Night vision drool......

·
Registered
4,182 Posts

Nice work! Now this is the correct way to install HID headlights on a 00-05 Deville. Without the projector, it's a complete disaster.

IMO it should have come with the projectors from the factory.

·
Registered
98 eldo/KD54 w/N37,T96,QA1,D55,DS3,U1Z. U3R next
2,125 Posts

outstanding job!!!!

1 - 20 of 94 Posts